Gibson Brands Forums

Let's END this debate about pickguard location!!!

onewilyfool

The large pickguard on my J50 covers the rosette, but is symmetrical and I like the look. The pickguard covering the rosette on the example above (and on others posted in previous pickguard threads) looks asymmetrical and misplaced to me. I voted for both options above!

post-10783-026758400 1366568334_thumb.jpg

Wily, you should've added an option for 'don't mind either way' (that's where I am). I voted for covering rosette because that's what I have at the minute - and probably wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for the discussions here. In fairness the uncovered rosette does look great - but not something i'd probably give a lot of thought to.

It's obvious the vast majority would prefer the rosette to be uncovered and it will be interesting to see if the good people at Gibson are willing to make this adjustment for their devoted customers.

Ich bin mit Dan hier, für mich ist es einfach egal, (allzu viel).

Ich mag das Aussehen der Rosette ohne Schlagbrett, aber dann ist es eher geneigt, zerkratzt werden.

Gesundheit!

If you're OK with a hubcap hung just off center you're tolerant of the cockeyed p'guard. It's an incorrect placement geometrically...period! Sheezzus!

I don't care either way, and, there are some guitars I prefer the look of without any pickguard at all. Never have liked the two-pickguards-on-one-guitar look at all though. I do think a bevelled pickguard is classier looking than non-bevelled and I may get my J-50 bevelled some day when I'm feeling up to it.

Wily, you should've added an option for 'don't mind either way' (that's where I am). I voted for covering rosette because that's what I have at the minute - and probably wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for the discussions here. In fairness the uncovered rosette does look great - but not something i'd probably give a lot of thought to.

It's obvious the vast majority would prefer the rosette to be uncovered and it will be interesting to see if the good people at Gibson are willing to make this adjustment for their devoted customers.

ADDED!!!!

Whaaa? I thought I ended the debate a little while ago! Did you want to keep the discussion going or resolve the question? It's a simple case of the wrong part. Right? No?

Ahhhh, no one listens to me anyway.

When I replaced the redish-purplish pixelated originals on my J45TV and Custom Shop LG-2, with Greven Dark Tortis I placed them outside the ring...

...on the LG-2, I felt it was a major improvement, when i finished changing it i thought yeah this looks right, cleaner look, old fashion vibe...big difference.

...on the J45TV, the Greven guard is way nicer, but i don't think moving it out side the ring transform the look of the J-45TV much at all....its nice but not necessary...like when my pretty wife gets her toe nails done.

I just watched Elvis Costello on TV a performance from 2010 at London's Hyde Park -- and he was playing a banner Gibson J45 with the pick guard in the normal (covered) place. If Elvis Costello does not have a problem with the pickguard location, then neither do I!

I think if you buy a Gibson they should put a pickguard/(scratchplate) on the guitar (anyplace they want to), but give you one too so you can put it anywhere you want, bass bout (thanks R.H.), back pocket (in case you lose your original out at the gig), or- but the pin the tail on the donkey should stop. I prefer mine just under the rosette (with a little sawdust on it!)!

I really couldnt care less, now if you asked me about the right tuners for the right guitars that would get me firing on all cylinders ..

So EA...which guitars should have 'tulips'?

Which guitars should have 'mushrooms'?

Which should have 'butterbeans'?

'Art Decos'?

So EA...which guitars should have 'tulips'?

Which guitars should have 'mushrooms'?

Which should have 'butterbeans'?

'Art Decos'?

In my little world its all very simple:

- Squares and Jumbos: Tulips

- Slopeys: Butter beans

and thats all you want or need.

Of course my little world doesnt always correspond to other's little worlds ...

This debate rages on....let's hope we can put it to rest ...rosette COVERED or UNCOVERED?

uncovered_zps7a8c8205.jpeg

Covered_zps0498847a.jpg

Let's hope one way or the other, that this info gets to the pickguard installer in Bozeman....

I feel there is nothing wrong with the placement of the Gibson pick guard overlapping the rosette. My $3500 Martin J-40 does the exact same thing, it looks beautiful. I consider the coverage of the rosette by the pick guard, as part of the protection for the rosette itself.

In my little world its all very simple:

- Squares and Jumbos: Tulips

- Slopeys: Butter beans

and thats all you want or need.

Of course my little world doesnt always correspond to other's little worlds ...

I like the Waverlys on the J250's (Art Deco).

I like the tulips on dreds except for 'Birds, and Jumbos.

I like Mushrooms on 'Birds.

I like Butterbeans on most all else.

And those preferences are probably based on what I saw/liked first. I have no big issues with tulips on most guitars, but do think

mushrooms shouldn't be on Jumbos and Doves.

Archived