Gibson Brands Forums

Neck Pick Up ...muddy sound on Bass Strings

D28boy

Hi

I have an '87 Les Paul which is my No1 guitar. The Bridge pick-up is really quite harsh and the neck pick up is really creamy and smooth.The only "problem" I have with the neck pick up though is that it seems to be muddy and distorted (not in a good way) on the E & A strings ...even on a single note and overdriven chords sounds pretty naff. I've tried moving the poles up & down with no real improvements. Can anyone suggest what if anything could improve the sound or is this typical of the Les Paul as its my first.

Guest Farnsbarns

Hi

I have an '87 Les Paul which is my No1 guitar. The Bridge pick-up is really quite harsh and the neck pick up is really creamy and smooth.The only "problem" I have with the neck pick up though is that it seems to be muddy and distorted (not in a good way) on the E & A strings ...even on a single note and overdriven chords sounds pretty naff. I've tried moving the poles up & down with no real improvements. Can anyone suggest what if anything could improve the sound or is this typical of the Les Paul as its my first.

Lowering the whole pickup quite a lot will often work wonders. Lowering the other pup can help too because of the magnetic pull on the strings. The other thing you can do is lower the value of the cap on that pup. Try a 0.015uf or 0.01uf. I've even seen 0.001uf caps in use as a pup filter cap. Also, check the value of the volume pot, it should be 500k ohms but these can vary, if it's below about 450 try a 50 ohm resistor in line to try before you buy a new pot.

I agree about lowering the pickup height. But, I don't know of any Gibson humbucker that doesn't sound muddy on the neck.

Gibson pickup comparison

Thanx ZZ that's a very helpful comparison. Gibson advised my pups were "original Humbuckers" so I'm guessing the 490's would be similar...I suppose they could be Shaws.

I love the neck pup for lead but I guess I'll need to keep to the top E to D. But will try lowering on the bass side a little to see what that does though it's definitely not so close as to get any magnetic attraction/distortion

Lowering the whole pickup quite a lot will often work wonders. Lowering the other pup can help too because of the magnetic pull on the strings. The other thing you can do is lower the value of the cap on that pup. Try a 0.015uf or 0.01uf. I've even seen 0.001uf caps in use as a pup filter cap. Also, check the value of the volume pot, it should be 500k ohms but these can vary, if it's below about 450 try a 50 ohm resistor in line to try before you buy a new pot.

Thanx will try lowering the pup but I'm afraid all the rest of your advice has sailed right over my head

Guest Farnsbarns

Thanx will try lowering the pup but I'm afraid all the rest of your advice has sailed right over my head

Each pair of volume/tone pots is connected by a capacitor, almost certainly 0.022uf. Replacing it with a lower value cap will allow more treble through.

The signal from the pickup is connected to ground, the volume pot causes a resistance between the signal and the ground, forcing some of it out of the output. When the volume is at zero all of the signal is dumped to ground and nothing is heard. When the volume pot is at 10 some of the signal is still going to ground. You'll have noticed that the volume pot effects the tone. Increasing the resistance of the pot is like turning the guitar up to 11, the effect on tone is the reverse of turning your volume down, it will brighten it. Adding a resistor, inline with the pot will allow you to hear the effect without replacing the pot, and can be done without removing anything from the guitar but this can only be used as a temporary measure because, with a resistor inline you won't be able to turn down to zero.

Each pair of volume/tone pots is connected by a capacitor, almost certainly 0.022uf. Replacing it with a lower value cap will allow more treble through.

The signal from the pickup is connected to ground, the volume pot causes a resistance between the signal and the ground, forcing some of it out of the output. When the volume is at zero all of the signal is dumped to ground and nothing is heard. When the volume pot is at 10 some of the signal is still going to ground. You'll have noticed that the volume pot effects the tone. Increasing the resistance of the pot is like turning the guitar up to 11, the effect on tone is the reverse of turning your volume down, it will brighten it. Adding a resistor, inline with the pot will allow you to hear the effect without replacing the pot, and can be done without removing anything from the guitar but this can only be used as a temporary measure because, with a resistor inline you won't be able to turn down to zero.

Very good info!! [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

Very good info!! [thumbup]

Why thank you, Jon. I've known my electronics for a long time but only in the last few years has the tonal side of electronics begun to click with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the guitar looked at and I'm advised that the Volume pots are the 300 version and apparently the tone are 100 which read at about 85 ohms. However the guy has told me that he doesn't think that the pup is unusually wooly anyway. May look to replace later as although the tone is nice I need treble on 10 to achieve it and there's nowhere to go from there. Guess that's why I always think it sounds so bassy when I plug into anybody elses amp.

Just had the guitar looked at and I'm advised that the Volume pots are the 300 version and apparently the tone are 100 which read at about 85 ohms. However the guy has told me that he doesn't think that the pup is unusually wooly anyway. May look to replace later as although the tone is nice I need treble on 10 to achieve it and there's nowhere to go from there. Guess that's why I always think it sounds so bassy when I plug into anybody elses amp.

The best thing is to swap the 100 kOhms tone pots with 500 kOhms ones, and to leave everything else stock.

The pots of my 1978 SG Std were 300 kOhms linear for volume and 100 kOhms audio taper for tone. The 100 kOhms tone pots load both resonance and treble down. I never understood why Gibson did that. The so dimensioned tone pots cranked up to ten act as audio tapered 500 kOhms ones when tweaked down to about four!

My SG's neck pickup was muddy, too until I swapped the tone pots with 500 kOhms audio taper ones. The 300 kOhms linear volume pots are OK since you lose less highs when turning down a bit compared to the 500 kOhm types. All my Gibsons with "normal" pots do have 300 kOhms lin for each volume pot whereas those with push/pull volume pots have 500 kOhms audio taper. I have to put up with the fact that 300 kOhms with push/pull switches are unavailable, and I would want 250 kOhms as for Fenders in conjunction with no-load tone pots only. Those, however, aren't feasible with push/pull switches.

My Iby has a center pick-up that is quite dirty as I ordered it extra over-wound, it sounded "Honky", a friend of mine said I should lower just the top adjustment screw on it. It does help with "mud" to do this but a cap change may work better if you don't have a lot of EQ on your amp.

Archived