Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Tulips to Vintage white buttons <<< UPDATE

BigKahune

I hate the bling and love the basics, so I'm all in for simple ovals, but I had a set of 50's era tulip buttons that I pulled from a '64 LG0that cost me $60. I got $175 for the buttons.

Tulips are considered bling?

what are you going to do with the old tulips? Personally, I like them better.

The tulips are wrapped nicely and stored in the case compartment. . B)

@Motherofpearl - Waverly has great vintage choices including aged ivoroid buttons. But the footprint is different and the tuning post diameter is different so the bushings have to be changed.

Careful with that -

Duluth - I'm sorry to have caused you these lightbrown or even slightly pink bones.

Not untill now do I see it was based on a misunderstanding.

I never recommended shoe-polish for bone - only for plastic as bindings and tuners.

Never tried it myself, but my good pal did on his J-45 with satisfying result.

What I suggested/suggest for bone was/is the coffee-salt mix - which always worked/works perfect for me, , , , untill 2 weeks ago where 6 bone-pins from China turned lightbrown like your pic after the allnite bath !?!?

I remember you being dissapointed about the result, but had the impression back then, that you had coffee-dyed not shoe-polish them.

Long story short - Things can vary. Maybe the basic pigment of the animal plays in (are cows pale in China).

Btw. my personal recipe is coffee-soya-salt-honey (the latter to get a hint of glaze) ;-)

BK - My pal drove over 2 rounds and controlled the process with precision - a night and then some extra hours as I recall it. He used kitchen-paper.

Archived