Gibson Brands Forums

I always wanted an ES-335

crust

I looked really closely at the Gibson ES-335, and then the Epiphone. You know I dig Epiphones. So, a vintage sunburst Epiphone ES-335 Pro is on order. 5-7 days, cant wait. I also ordered the appropriate Epiphone case. Nice package. Pic's to follow.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H79035.002_vintage_sunburst.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! What happened to the Sheraton reissue you were GASing for?

And the gold Riviera P93, the Royal Swingster, and the....... Soon I'll have my own Epiphone guitar store.. lol. I do play them all, every day, or my students, when they have their lessons. I really want to see what Epiphone will be reissuing. I would like a Sheraton, super nice instrument. But, I think Epiphone is realizing slowly that their iconic guitars (Like Royal Tan Rivieras with frequensators) are just too darn cool not to be re-releasing [thumbup] and that consumers do like the higher end Epiphone hollow and semi-hollow models. I'm not a marketing guy (obviously) but I do believe those type of Epiphones would sell. Look what Fender has re-released, the Starcaster and Coronado. I believe Epiphone makes a finer guitar than those in the Riviera and Sheraton guitars they offer. I do wish I could get one of those (Epiphone). Maybe in time.

I looked really closely at the Gibson ES-335, and then the Epiphone. You know I dig Epiphones. So, a vintage sunburst Epiphone ES-335 Pro is on order....

I see those are now the same price new as the Epi Dot. Great score! You're going to love it. I've got a cherry Dot, which is much the same except for the block inlays and push-pull pups. Every time I pick it up, I think "Man, this is a big guitar." B) Great clean tones coming out of this thing....

Congrats Crust!!! You will love your 339. I love both of mine.

Now I want a 339 (I ordered a 335). :) :o ](*,)[mellow][thumbup][biggrin]

I'll have to see how I get along with the larger body size of the 335. I absolutely love my 355, which, I believe, is the same size(as a 335). It is difficult to say which guitar is better, I don't think I can.

If the 335 is too big, I might try a 339, being somewhat smaller. I never played one, but I would think, if it is the size of an LP, I'd get along with it just fine.

The Sorrento and ES-355 are the best guitars I've ever had.

Gotta Dot sunburst. Gotta Dot cherry.

Doggone if I know why I got both within about two years.

Except... doggone if I know a much better guitar buy. One or two equals, but not any better.

Thing with the Dot, I think, is that if you don't play up the neck mosta the time, you wanna consider wearing it kinda like BB and/or Joe Pass. That's the kinda funky thing about the weight distribution unless you have far longer arms than I do. But it's a great all-around guitar. And add a "me too" figuring I don't see much advantage to the Gibbie original; I like the necks on mine quite well, thank you. The new electronics are quite functional too.

m

This is a topic which has been aired on many an occasion...

Gibson vs Epi at a fraction of the price...

My nearest comparison was between a Sheraton and a Gibson ES 335

I had the Sheraton for nigh on 10 years...looked fantastic and with excellent woodwork...

Less inspiring tones and electrics quality...probably an upgrade with Gibson P/U's and wiring would have been worthwhile...

Swapped it recently for a nice 12str acoustic... [thumbup]

As for the 339's etc...smaller bodied 335 type instruments

Will suit many players...but for moi, the extra weight and body size of the 335 suit certain styles of music better...

There is a photographer's analogy here regarding cameras...'A good big'un will always beat a good little'un'...

V

:-({|=

I LOVE the Epi Ultra-339, but the truth is that if I were doing it again I would get the 339 PRO.

I just don't use the shadowmag pup or the USB port ... I do love those ProBuckers

and the tuner built into the pup ring is quite handy.

I really, really wish the forward button was on the horn though. Tweed posted some info

on moving the button, but I haven't done it yet

I LOVE the Epi Ultra-339, but the truth is that if I were doing it again I would get the 339 PRO.

[...] I do love those ProBuckers [...]

The question is whether 339 Pro is equipped with Probuckers, or with Alnico Classic Pro's as most of specifications say.

It appears that the Ultra-339 is the only 339 with ProBuckers.

It seems so to me as well, however, in thomann.de, there is Epiphone ES-339 PRO Black Royale:

http://www.thomann.de/pl/epiphone_es_339_pro_black_royale.htm

and the specs say it's with Probuckers. But Epi's web page says it's with Alnico Classic Pro's...

I also have a set that came out of my LP Std PRO ... I guess I better lock them up

If you change your mind and want to sell them, I might be interested :)

Is there much diff between the pickups? Would you care to attempt a description of the diff? :)

The classic pro's IMO are not as muddy as the pro buckers. I replaced the pro-buckers in my ultra with gibby classic 57's. The classic pro's have similar characteristics of the gibby classic 57 and is why I have not pulled them from the 339 pro. I really like the clarity of the classic pro's and they can get loud and keep that clarity. I hope this helps.

The classic pro's IMO are not as muddy as the pro buckers.

It's interesting, as Probuckers have asymetric coils in order to improve their treble response that should reduce the muddiness. But maybe you're right, I haven't heard Probuckers yet.

The classic pro's have similar characteristics of the gibby classic 57 and is why I have not pulled them from the 339 pro. I really like the clarity of the classic pro's and they can get loud and keep that clarity. I hope this helps.

Alnico Classic Pro's are quite nice, but IMO quite classic, too. I had them in Epi Explorer TV Silver and liked them, but I wanted something of higher power.

Archived