Gibson Brands Forums

greatest guitar players of all time

brc

I didn't read it either. I don't agree or disagree, I just don't care.

I bet Hendrix is on that list. I'm right, aren't I? See?

rct

And Jimmy Page. We already confirmed SVR. Did Yangwie make it?

[lol]

You guys & gals are so funny!

Yup. The list was half-full of the obvious suspects and the other half were included by mistake...

There were some startling omissions, too, which make me suspect the person who compiled the list is still in junior high school.

I'm guessing they have a great understanding of the last 10-20 years but before that time they chose what everybody else says is 'right' without really knowing anything about it themselves.

I DID skim through it, though, and it was worth it for two performances.

Steve Howe's playing on 'Mood For a Day' was an absolute gem and the pityfully few seconds there were of him shows why B.B. is the King.

P.

Chuck Berry? I stopped at that. Influential? yes. But greatest? Not on your nellie...

To be fair to the compiler of the original footage only mentions 'Influential'.

It was the person who loaded it up onto the 'tube that used the terms 'greatest' and 'best'.

Viewed in this light the list makes a bit more sense and some of the more odd inclusions can possibly be excused/accepted depending on one's viewpoint.

P.

I watched it. If the list is of influential players than that's different. The list is full of mostly people I like to listen too but it leaves out influential players like Iommi, Kirk Hammit, Ace Frehley, Muddy Waters, Joe Strumer, Blackmoore and great player like Chet Atkins, Micheal Schenker, Steve Morse, Randy Rhoads.

But these lists are just designed to get attention and stir discussion so.... well done. [thumbup]

...If the list is of influential players than that's different. The list is full of mostly people I like to listen too but leave out influential players like Iommi, Kirk Hammit, Ace Frehley, Muddy Waters, Joe Strumer, Blackmoore and great player like Chet Atkins, Micheal Schenker, Steve Morse, Randy Rhoads...

To that group I'd add players who were a big influence on me such as Paul Kossoff, Peter Green, Rory Gallagher, Mark Knopfler, John Lee Hooker, Big Bill Broonzy, Robin Trower. Even Wilco Johnson was a greater influence than about 40 of those on the list.

But I think there's also an 'age & year the guitar was taken up' thing going on here.

Players such as Paul Gilbert, Yngwie, Satch, Vai and even EVH all came along well after I had started going down my own little route and therefore had absolutely no influence whatsoever on me.

For those who took up the guitar ten years after I did I'm sure the story might well be very different indeed.

P.

Steve Howe's playing on 'Mood For a Day' was an absolute gem

P.

Steve Howe is one sick player.

I'm kinda embarrassed to admit I am trying to learn that piece. It's way beyond my ability but I love that piece.

It's ridiculously hard,,, for me anyway.

I haven't actually looked at the list.

...I'm kinda embarrassed to admit I am trying to learn that piece. It's way beyond my ability but I love that piece...

I'm not even remotely embarrassed to admit that I started trying to learn 'Mood For a Day' about six months after I first picked up a guitar.

What was I thinking?...........................](*,).............................[lol]

P.

I'm not even remotely embarrassed to admit that I started trying to learn 'Mood For a Day' about six months after I first picked up a guitar.

What was I thinking?...........................](*,).............................[lol]

P.

Here's a different look at it. I and The Pip here are prolly biggest Close To The Edge fans ever. Yes in general, great big giant guitar player fan here. Howe doesn't know theory, isn't some classically trained genius, he's just like us, but he takes direction from that bass player guy that is a genius.

So I have always only just listened to Yes, I have never tried any of it. One of them bands I reserve for just hearing and experiencing, just as good today as it was then. I freely acknowldedge that I don't have the Aspergers or prodigal genetics needed to grasp what them jokers are doing as far as playing it. But man, I sure can listen to it!

rct

Sheesh...

And I was influenced 50 years ago by Fats Waller, Mother Maybelle, Leadbelly, Segovia, Carlos Montoya, Gary Davis... and a host of "folkies" at the time. And that doesn't even include trying to arrange swing and pop from the 30s through the 50s for solo playing of various sorts.

Hmmm.

m

These "Greatest Guitarist lists are just an exercise in futility and prove absolutely nothing but the varying opinions of different people on a question that will never have an answer as it is totally subjective and always will be.Even if there were to be a list of 100 of the most influential guitarists there would still be 100 different lists from 100 different people.We will always have a gallery of greats who will no doubt go down through the millennia as being historically significant such as Segovia,Diaz,Romero,Fisk,Reinhardt,Hendrix,Page,Clapton,Dale,Paul,Buchannan,Gatton,Breau,Metheny and I could go on for the rest of the night but neither one of those listed could ever be singled out as the greatest who ever lived.As fanatical as I am about Jimi Hendrix,I would never be so rash as to list him as the greatest guitarist who ever lived,but I could list him as my biggest influence who ever lived.These lists serve absolutely no purpose yet magazines keep putting them out many times a year and they will continue to do so as long as they continue to publish because they sell magazines to those who are still gullible and naïve enough to think that these lists have some use or importance.

...Steve Howe was influenced by Jimmy Bryant, whom most guitar players have never heard of. But the stuff he did with Speedy West was incredible...

Thanks for the head's-up on Jimmy Bryant, Z-Z! I especially enjoyed 'The Night Rider'.

I'll have to track down more of his stuff.

[thumbup]

P.

Archived