Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone price increase in Europe?

BaZie

Hi all,

Lately I have noticed price increase of some Epiphone models. For example, Explorer Pro TV Silver is now 80 EUR more expensive. Same thing with Gibson pickups. At least in two e-shops in Germany.

Do you have any ideas what happened?

Hi all,

Lately I have noticed price increase of some Epiphone models. For example, Explorer Pro TV Silver is now 80 EUR more expensive. Same thing with Gibson pickups. At least in two e-shops in Germany.

That's pretty normal, and depends on the exchange rate between Euro and US Dollar. Currently the US Dollar is rated almost 1,38 Euros, which means the instruments get more expensive in Europe. The lots coming from China are payed in US Dollar, so the higher the Euro is rated, the more expensive the instruments get, although the price in US Dollar does not change. The sale prices are done per lot, so sometimes you find significant different prices for different colors of the same model. The models that are more popular will increase their prices now, while models that were in stock for some time continue their lower prices until the next lot is ordered.

That whole thing will go the other way around as soon as the Euro is rated lower compared to the US Dollar. Then the most popular instruments probably will be cheaper.

Hi all,

Yes, the gubment wants a bigger chunk of your munny that is already worth less thanks to the gubment

Lately I have noticed price increase of some Epiphone models.

Btw.: I noticed that Gibson prices have increased massively over the past year, at least here in Germany. Just as an example the ES-335 1959 Dot Reissue FC is €4.349,- (app. $6.000,-) in the german online stores. The ES-335 1959 Historic Burst is €4.999,- (app. $6.900,-).

Now if you consider that for example a MIJ Ibanez JSM100 John Scofield signature model as the "top of the line model" is €2.490,-, I feel the Gibson prices on the ES-335 are somewhat exaggerated.

That whole thing will go the other way around as soon as the Euro is rated lower compared to the US Dollar. Then the most popular instruments probably will be cheaper.

Seems logical. However, the results look stupid. In May 2013, I bought Epi Explorer TV Silver for AFAIR 366 EUR. Now, in the same shop, it costs 444 EUR. AFAIR, the same shop had "Thunderhorse" model for 495 EUR. Hence, the difference between Epi Alnico Classic Pro's and Gibson Burstbuckers is about 50 EUR, assuming that the rest of the guitars cost exactly the same.

The Gibson pickups that were available for 68 EUR are now for 88 EUR.

... Currently the US Dollar is rated almost 1,38 Euros, which means the instruments get more expensive in Europe. The lots coming from China are payed in US Dollar, so the higher the Euro is rated, the more expensive the instruments get, although the price in US Dollar does not change. ...

[-X There's something wrong, or inverse, or reciprocal. It's exactly the other way round. #-o

The EUR is around 1.36 US-Dollars, so the US-Dollar is ca. 0.7353 EUR. :rolleyes:

The higher the EUR is rated in US-Dollars, the cheaper will imported goods basically be within the EUR countries when the prices in US-Dollars stay the same. [flapper]

So the explanations for rising prices have to be different ones.

In March, 2013, the price of the Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute Plus including hardcase dropped from 499 EUR to 449 EUR at a big retailer and recently went up again to 499 EUR. The availabilty of this model and of particular finishes is very inconsistent, so it might be the demand which affects the price.

Archived