Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement tuners for LP Studio

DennisK

Hi.

I am brand new to the forum. I look forward to meeting some of you and learning a lot. So Let's begin!

I have a 2004 Les Paul Studio I picked up off of somebody of Craig's List. It's an absolutely beautiful instrument and I'm now hopelessly hooked on Gibson. My only other electric guitar is a 1974 Fender Stratocaster that I've been happily playing for decades. I want to replace the tuners on my Les Paul since the guitar goes out of tune pretty quickly. Especially the G string when I'm bending it a lot.

After doing some on-line research, I bought Grover 502G tuners. They fit the hole perfectly including the screw mounting hole. BUT, the shaft is 1/8" too short.

Can anyone tell me what Grover (or other brand) tuners will fit my guitar?

Thanks!

post-60227-069275900 1383096988_thumb.jpg

Hmmm. Pretty quiet.

I did some more research and found that the Grover 102-18 series tuners appear to be the dimensions I really want. But they aren't "locking" tuners. Maybe someone can educate me a bit about tuners. What makes a tuner a "good" tuner or a "great" tuner, or for that matter, a "crappy" tuner? Will locking rotomatic tuners keep my guitar in tune better than regular rotomatics or do they just make it easier to change strings? What other differences are there that I don't even know enough to ask about?

Thanks

Dennis,

Tone Pros makes a really good replacement tuner that looks exactly the same as your originals and has the same 'footprint' so there's no need to make new holes or try to hide old ones. You can find them at wdmusic.com.

• 2 weeks later...

I wound up going with Grover 106G tuners. They are just a little taller than the original Gibson tuners but work just fine. The holes also were the right size and line up so no drilling required. I really didn't want to take a drill to my beloved Les Paul [scared]

post-60227-021880200 1384399527_thumb.jpg

Archived