Gibson Brands Forums

Studio, traditional or standard

Tobougg

Hey there again,

Im picking up a les paul. But there seems to be so many of them nowadays that it's almost impossible to choose one

as you don't know what you're getting.

I hear that the studio's are identical to the Standar's in every way, built by the same people in the same way

but they just don't have the same top and finish coats, is that true?

Also would you recommend a studio or traditional over a standard when considering just pure tone, and build quality

not taking looks into account.

Thanks

I play both Standard and Traditional. Basically if you look around here where I am, you can buy a used Standard for the price of a new Studio. Same guitar minus appointments. I like studios also because I also like Gibson necks without binding, its different now than back in the day. The Traditional I like, but I like the pick-ups in them better than a Standard and Studio. The finish sanding on some of them doesn't seem as good on the Satin models and some are heavy. Mines just under 9lbs my Standard is just under 8.

I play both Standard and Traditional. Basically if you look around here where I am, you can buy a used Standard for the price of a new Studio. Same guitar minus appointments. I like studios also because I also like Gibson necks without binding, its different now than back in the day. The Traditional I like, but I like the pick-ups in them better than a Standard and Studio. The finish sanding on some of them doesn't seem as good on the Satin models and some are heavy. Mines just under 9lbs my Standard is just under 8.

ok i might pick up a studio then, thanks for the reply. so basically they're the same guitar minus asthetics. and the asthetics cost twice as much. seems like a bit of a ripoff.

everyone goes on about the "the binding is done by hand, it's a single piece of plastic". the binding on the body is laid in about 2 mins i think lol

I like my studio. I came to purchase a Les Paul Studio because it felt and sounded the best to me out of all the guitars I tried in many different stores. I tried a bunch of American Strats and Tele's, some PRS guitars, Gibson SGs, Explorers, Flying V's and many Les Pauls new and used. My budget was $2,000 and I went with a new Studio for $1,000 because it sounded the best. There is quite the difference between guitars of the same model due to the hand-made element. You can find some gems in the Studio line.

I went for the studio when buying my latest Les Paul. My budget would have actually stretched as far as a custom shop model, but I went in with my eyes closed. Literally. Sat down, had a few guitars to hand, played them with my eyes closed, and the one that spoke to me was the Studio. I love a nice flame top as much as the next guy, but when it comes to the crunch, the sound and feel is the ultimate factor for me when buying.

The studio sang a little fuller, felt more comfortable in the hand, and had the added bonus of being over £1000 cheaper than the standard, so win win for me :) My studio has a high gloss nitro finish (alpine white), it's just missing the bling so to speak in terms of binding and has a silk screened logo as opposed to an inlaid version.

Also would you recommend a studio or traditional over a standard when considering just pure tone, and build quality

not taking looks into account.

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

To answer simply: sure.

In details: These instruments have different bodies. Studios and Standards are chambered, Traditionals are weight-relieved (pre-2013) or solid from 2013.

Depending on year, these instruments have different pickups (variations on the same PAF design). Studios (most) have coil-splitable 490R/498T - more modern sounding - pickups. Standards have coil-tapable Burstbucker pickups - which supposed to sound more vintage-like. Traditionals have '57 Classics - which are the well-balanced replicas of the original Gibson humbuckers. But there are sub-models to confuse You more and specs also vary year-to-year.

Neck profiles can be different: 50s, 60s, 70s, assymetrical profiles are available these days.

...and so on...

Anyways: If You don't need the extra switching options a Standard can provide, and looks are not that important to You, it would be hard to justify the price difference between them to Yourself.

Cheers... Bence

ok i might pick up a studio then, thanks for the reply. so basically they're the same guitar minus asthetics. and the asthetics cost twice as much. seems like a bit of a ripoff.

everyone goes on about the "the binding is done by hand, it's a single piece of plastic". the binding on the body is laid in about 2 mins i think lol

There are some killer Studios out here, looking and playing. Many people prefer Mahogany top LPs also. In which case the Faded Studios are decent priced.

If your comparing new pricing I would wait on the year end sales. Which a few already started. Black Friday and shortly after more to come.

Used is as I said. I looked at a Studio I was split on when I bought my used Standard. The difference was $200. The action and set neck was slightly better on the Standard. Both were light and I would have swapped pick-ups on either. But that's me.

The binding is plastic strips, routed, glued and sanded, Also the figured tops and finish came into play. So it hours X material included in the price and markup.

The binding as I said on gloss finished LPs seems better than the Satin or faded models.

As far as Gibson pricing, they have "always" built the best entry level guitar's for the money and they do so today also. Look at their entry pricing. The SGJ were just $420. on sale for example. You can't buy a MIM Fender for that. Let alone a set-net USA built electric. Both Fender and Gibson have an offering in every price range.

When you play USA electrics you pay for them. Nothing new nor is it that players whine about the price and craftsmanship. It was the same throughout their history. And so too has been the chant my ___________ plays just as good. And it "may" be a great guitar, but its "not" a Gibson.

Hey Schecter Korea "for example" HAD a C-1 Classic, abalone vine of life, SD pick-ups[uSA], bound neck and head stock, quilted maple top, split coils, neck through. They sell for $300. or so..............I have one and paid $200. for it, great guitar, but NOT a "Gibson". Its "other". You notice they stopped making them? What happened? They were decent no? And cheap to build? Its a mystery I can't explain.

Guest Farnsbarns

OK everyone. This is a troll. No point engaging at all. My advice, leave it. Oh, and Tobougg, you're right, it's all a rip off, buy a far eastern made clone. Much better.

Studios are great.. I have one and a couple of Standard level guitars and love them all... Its all about the individual guitar you just need to play as many as possible..

Heres a couple of vids that may help

I have my dream Les Pauls now Bence :)

I am so happy and cannot believe I got these two at the price I did :)

Hello Donny!

Yes, Gibson is on the right track with CCs and the Signature T. for sure. [thumbup]

I love my CC, too. I waited for 20 years to have a Custom. If they didn't came out with the CC, probably I would be still just dreaming.

...and then I even got the Recording, which is a über-guitar. So, I should be content - especially being just a bedroom rocker...

Although, I still want to have that Randy Rhoads-esque Custom. It is THE perfect Les Paul to me. Maybe one day.

Cheers... Bence

Archived