Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Guys Explain New 2014 Lineup

badbluesplayer

The only thing about the melody maker is adding a regular bridge and two more holes to hold the stop bar tailpiece. I can't get enthused about the single bridge-tailpiece part, a person can not adjust it for intonation.

Bad idea to me.

The only thing about the melody maker is adding a regular bridge and two more holes to hold the stop bar tailpiece. I can't get enthused about the single bridge-tailpiece part, a person can not adjust it for intonation.

Bad idea to me.

I've wondered how PRS can sell very expensive guitars with a wrap-around, non-intonatable bridge. Are they made THAT perfectly ?

Bad idea to me.

You can intonate them a bit.. They have screws in them like on a locking TOM which allows you to move it backwards and forwards a bit.. Enough for intonation (assuming the guitar was set right in the first place of course :))

Sorta like this (but the bridges on the MM has the bars on top)

03-01065-lg_zps829c416c.jpg

bridge_wraparound1_zpsa6571dfb.jpg

Bad idea to me.

You heard him, they were trying to hit a certain price point, not putting the TOM bridge on allows them to save money. That's the way they did the original Les Paul Jr's and Melody Makers. IF you ever played a Jr I'm sure you know that it works just fine.

Bad idea to me.

I plan on putting a Schaller stud mount bridge on there, just like I used to do with old BC Rich's if I do get one of these.

Either with or without the fine tuners, most likely with. It feels like a TOM bridge under your palm.

97___STEG_455_456.jpg

Bad idea to me.

So apparently acoustic guitar bridges are bad ideas too. Single fixed position saddle. Nobody's ever complained and whacked a TOM on their acoustic (to my knowledge, i've seen a Bigsby and a Floyd on acoustics before).

I hate the TOM/Stopbar system. If I need more intonation adjustment, i get an adjustable wraparound with TOM saddles. Best of both worlds. I just prefer the tone of a wraparound over the TOM setup.

To each his/her own,

-Ryan

Bad idea to me.

Yes - meets my opinion.

I plan on putting a Schaller stud mount bridge on there, just like I used to do with old BC Rich's if I do get one of these.

Either with or without the fine tuners, most likely with. It feels like a TOM bridge under your palm.

97___STEG_455_456.jpg

Good idea, and I guess it looks great, too. [thumbup]

That, uh, was a, yknow, cool, yknow, video. Uh, yknow. The, uh, first, yknow, Les Paul, uh, they showed was, uh, really cool!

Kidding aside, it's good to see Gibson doing somewhat new stuff... even though there aren't any new body or construction innovations. I'd love to see more "axcess" shaved neck heels throughout the lineup.

I really like the new Les Paul Melody Maker and the Les Paul and SG Futuras. Glad to see the nibs gone. Waaaaay past time to get rid of those. Next maybe they can start using a scarf joint at the head stock. That would be awesome! [woot]

SGFAI5RC1-Finish-Shot.jpg

It looks like all the SG's have min-e-tune. A buddy of mine was wanting to buy an SG so bad he couldn't stand it but he didn't because of the min e tune. I told him to wait and see what ends up happening with the lineup. I wonder what the deal is with that.

Archived