Gibson Brands Forums

My Epiphone ES345 "Special"

Pin

My Epiphone ES345 "Special":

Nothing much remains of the original guitar except the body, neck, Bigsby and Varitone. The knobs remain the same.

It has had its fretboard sorted, new Grovers, Tusq nut, Roller Bridge, Seymour Duncan Jazz neck and JB bridge, Tortoisehell pickguard, thumb cutters, complete rewire which includes a coil tap on the Jazz. Varitone all working ok. And it is now eminently playable!

post-36167-024772600 1400008951_thumb.jpeg

msp_smile.gif

After all the work, is this still a "stereo" guitar ? If so, how does the "stereo" sound and connections actually work ? Curious about "stereo" guitar. msp_confused.gif

Lot of work, looks quite excellent (to me) actually .

msp_smile.gif

After all the work, is this still a "stereo" guitar ? If so, how does the "stereo" sound and connections actually work ? Curious about "stereo" guitar. msp_confused.gif

Lot of work, looks quite excellent (to me) actually .

yes, the stereo still works (not that I ever use it and don't know anybody who does) but please don't ask me about the wiring - the tech did all that and I couldn't understand it if I tried!

There are two jacks on the rim - one is a (left) mono output (that is the one I use) and the other (use two cables)is a right output.

damn nice. you know that's my kinda guitar too, hand-picked parts on a rock-solid Epi chassis.

so questions-

what are thumb cutters?

how do you like that sd combo? that's his favorite right? I've been tempted to give it a whirl.

was that Tusq nut the Epiphone slotted one? If so, does that just pretty much drop in?

Looks very nice, Pin. The gold pickup surrounds go really well with the red, I've never seen any I've liked before.

Pardon my ignorance, what are thumb cutters?

Position markers on the control knobs (or just under them). You can't see them on the pick. They enable you to tell "where you are" by feel when you up and down tone and volume. There is a small burr which is raised above the surface of the guitar and which "cuts your thumb" (of course they don't).

I expect there are plenty of pics of them on the web re a google search.

damn nice. you know that's my kinda guitar too, hand-picked parts on a rock-solid Epi chassis.

so questions-

what are thumb cutters?

how do you like that sd combo? that's his favorite right? I've been tempted to give it a whirl.

was that Tusq nut the Epiphone slotted one? If so, does that just pretty much drop in?

Re thumb cutters - see reply above.

I know Bonamassa used to use a Maverick. It is the best amp I have ever used and I include Marshalls. I am a complete convert to all valve train including the rectifier.

No, the Tusq is not the original nut which used to stick like hell - did need some filing to fit.

Re thumb cutters - see reply above.

I know Bonamassa used to use a Maverick. It is the best amp I have ever used and I include Marshalls. I am a complete convert to all valve train including the rectifier.

No, the Tusq is not the original nut which used to stick like hell - did need some filing to fit.

ty,

Sorry, meant the Tusq XL nut that comes preslotted for Epis

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/tusq-xl/product-detail-tusq-xl/pql-6060-00-tusq-xl-epiphone-style-slotted-nut

The PQL-6060-00 is the perfect option to replace and upgrade the nut on your Epiphone guitar. It is also a great option for many other common acoustic and electric guitars. It comes pre-slotted to make for a quick and easy install.

How do those Seymour Duncans sound through your rig?

ty,

Sorry, meant the Tusq XL nut that comes preslotted for Epis

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/tusq-xl/product-detail-tusq-xl/pql-6060-00-tusq-xl-epiphone-style-slotted-nut

The PQL-6060-00 is the perfect option to replace and upgrade the nut on your Epiphone guitar. It is also a great option for many other common acoustic and electric guitars. It comes pre-slotted to make for a quick and easy install.

How do those Seymour Duncans sound through your rig?

My tech fitted the nut and he told me that it had need some filing - to be honest I don't know whether it is the one you quote or not.

The Seymours sound great - real improvement over the original pickups which weren't exactly bad. But this set really bring out the best - clean the Jazz is brilliant and the JB can rock it with the best of 'em.

I remember years ago I had the same set fitted to my son's Epi Les Paul Standard and that guitar certainly rocked (mind you he is a far better player than me).

I like the "studio" in the background, behind and beside the guitar. Well, somewhat organisedmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_thumbup.gif Nice amps, effects ...msp_smile.gif

It is a studio and "store hole" crust!

On the other side and out of range of the pic is my Yamaha N8 recording mixer and my recording rack with my Axon AX100s and Roland JV and other midi gear plus a line 6 HD 500.Also out of the pic is my multi guitar rack with my three Les Paul's, Yamaha SG2000, Epi G400 and MIM Roland Strat. My Yamaha jazz guitar I keep in its case. And there is an awful lot of other stuff not in the pic too - VG99, Line6 M13, Vox effects board etc etc. It is a "well stuffed" place!

My tech fitted the nut and he told me that it had need some filing - to be honest I don't know whether it is the one you quote or not.

The Seymours sound great - real improvement over the original pickups which weren't exactly bad. But this set really bring out the best - clean the Jazz is brilliant and the JB can rock it with the best of 'em.

I remember years ago I had the same set fitted to my son's Epi Les Paul Standard and that guitar certainly rocked (mind you he is a far better player than me).

I have used a JB in several guitars over the years. It now resides in my SG. I would have thought it too hot for a semi. Is that the case at all?

I have used a JB in several guitars over the years. It now resides in my SG. I would have thought it too hot for a semi. Is that the case at all?

Absolutely not! [biggrin]

It is a studio and "store hole" crust!

On the other side and out of range of the pic is my Yamaha N8 recording mixer and my recording rack with my Axon AX100s and Roland JV and other midi gear plus a line 6 HD 500.Also out of the pic is my multi guitar rack with my three Les Paul's, Yamaha SG2000, Epi G400 and MIM Roland Strat. My Yamaha jazz guitar I keep in its case. And there is an awful lot of other stuff not in the pic too - VG99, Line6 M13, Vox effects board etc etc. It is a "well stuffed" place!

coolmsp_smile.gif

Archived