Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody recognize this tune?

Cougar

I don't recognize any exact matches to another tune. But at times it brings to my mind "Little Martha" by Duane Allman and a little bit of the "Hill Street Blues" theme. Regardless of whether or not it sounds like some other tune, the playing is very nice. Great job. [thumbup]

Thanks for the comments. I too think it's from some Led Zep acoustic piece, but I've scoured their stuff and I've never been able to find it. Bron-Yr-Aur does have some similarities. Maybe another version of that, or another piece inspired by that. I probably heard it in the late 60s....

Well played! What did you use?

I've played fingerstyle for a number of years, but I don't really play guitar that well. I guess that background lets me play more "like a guitar" on keys. It's played on a Motif XS7.

...a line from 'Embryonic Journey' maybe....

Whoa! That is it! It's not Page,

from the Airplane! And apparently Kottke did a cover of it in the late 70s. Man, you nailed it. Thank you, thank you! That's been driving me nuts for decades!

Guest Farnsbarns

Whoa! That is it! It's not Page,

from the Airplane! And apparently Kottke did a cover of it in the late 70s. Man, you nailed it. Thank you, thank you! That's been driving me nuts for decades!

Oh yes. I was fairly convinced by the Metallica suggestion but when I listened it was missing that modal shifted bit. I wondered if maybe you'd filled a gap in your memory but no, there it is. Lovely piece an VERY nicely played BTW!

I couldn't recognize the tune regardless...

But I find the thread increasingly interesting in that Cougar was playing keyboard that sounds so much like fingerpicking. I was trying to figure out the attack, fingerpicks or what, and the way a guitar was recorded...

A re-listen to the tune explained a lot.

There are likely a dozen sub-threads that I could see coming from this one... guitars as keyboards and keyboards as guitars, tune themes that become part of us and that we both vary and "copy" almost subconsciously (think beatles copyright case)... tone for a given piece... how the mind works with keyboard vs fingerboard...

Interesting...

m

M - yes I must agree....I thought he was using a computer modelling sound....

Here are 2 definitive versions of this now-classic tune; it was written by Jorma Kaukonen, but Kottke is such an amazingly powerful player he brings another dimension to the tune in his interpretation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-lWEzmSKm8

And from 'Surrealistic Pillow', Jorma's original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IzoiqDaG4A

I no longer have 'Surrealistic Pillow' or for that matter any Jefferson Airplane albums any more but I just checked and I still have 10 Leo Kottke LPs, though I sold 'Chewing Pine' which includes this track.

Kottke favoured guitars built by a gentleman called Bozo Podunavac: copy the name and google for images of the guitars......wow, much sought after.

http://www.dreamguitars.com/builder/45-bozo/

• 2 months later...
Here are 2 definitive versions of this now-classic tune; it was written by Jorma Kaukonen, but Kottke is such an amazingly powerful player he brings another dimension to the tune in his interpretation:

Kottke could have been up more in the mix! But yeah, that's another dimension, plus he added more instruments, which gives me that idea. I've always been into multitracking, from 2, later to 4, now essentially unlimited.

And from 'Surrealistic Pillow', Jorma's original:

Ah, yes. I must have listened to that album more than a lot of times.

I don't recognize any exact matches to another tune. But at times it brings to my mind "Little Martha" by Duane Allman and a little bit of the "Hill Street Blues" theme. Regardless of whether or not it sounds like some other tune, the playing is very nice. Great job. [thumbup]

I agree it reminds me of some of Hill Street Blues theme, very familiar little tune. Well done.

I can't let this go past without noting that Jorma Kaukonen recorded an entire album of different versions of this composition in 1994 with Tom Constanten (including 'A MIDI Orchestration Embryonic Journey') -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embryonic_Journey_%28album%29

Here he is prior to that in 1988 with a long solo version:

Regards!

Hey, I just got here... What'd I miss?

First of all, thanks to everybody for listening. I couldn't remember what this piece was or where it came from. jdgm actually named it in post #2, but I didn't realize it until post #8. Embryonic Journey off the Surrealistic Pillow album. Wow.

See if you notice any similarity with "Avenging Annie" by Andy Pratt circa 1972 and covered by Rodger Daltrey on his One Of The Boys album.

A couple slight similarities. A slight similarity in how the keyboard is played. I need a lead singer. [smile]

I agree it reminds me of some of Hill Street Blues theme, very familiar little tune. Well done.

A couple people said that. I used to watch Hill Street Blues all the time (Let's be careful out there.) I had to google it to remember how that theme song went -- I always liked that theme! I guess that quick drop-down chord progression is a similarity, but... different pieces.

I can't let this go past without noting that Jorma Kaukonen recorded an entire album of different versions of this composition in 1994 with Tom Constanten (including 'A MIDI Orchestration Embryonic Journey')

Thanks jd. I had to go over to ebay and pick up a copy of that! I'm real interested to see how Constanten's keyboard fits in there.... But a whole album of the same piece? I wonder if that's a first.

Archived