Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Jimi Mac

Well I went and done it now...

I let my GAS get the best of me and I pulled the trigger. (possible with the gun pointed at my head)

I couldn't resist a custom handmade Corsa guitar by Larry Corsa of CV/Corsa guitars. I became totally smitten with his custom double-cut Les Paul style prototype that he's selling:

DCL-001a-300x225.jpg

DCL-001b-300x225.jpg
DCL-001c-300x225.jpg

This is one of my personal guitars, and the only existing Double Cut LCPG. The two other double cuts I made are Manalishi models. A superb guitar, which I've used on a few gigs. In "NTN" Ice Tea Burst with a natural back and neck, 60's neck profile and weighing 7.5 lbs. (3.40 Kg.). Manalishi dog inlaid between the pickups. All Faber hardware and a pair of Manalishi humbucking pickups. Dunlop Strap-Loks. Three CTS "True Vintage Taper" 500K pots and one Push-Pull pot on the bridge tone for changing phase. The guitar is shown with a set of vintage (1960's) foil top knobs, but they have been changed to two new top hat and two foil tops, as seen in the last photo. The last photo has the pick guard removed to show a "flaw" in the wood, which the guard hides almost completely. The top is bookmatched and nicely flamed. Includes a custom Corsa TKL hard shell case.

While I've been a fan of Larry Corsa's custom made guitars for some time, along with his Peter Green modified Gibson's line. There's just something about this axe that truly compelled me. I dig being able to shut off the Peter Green mod to get the full spectrum of (Les Paul style) tone out of the axe. There is also just something about this custom double-cut shape that is very unique and strikes my fancy. Not to mention the custom Green Manalishi (with the two-pronged crown) logo adornment and headstock that I love.

DCL-001d-240x180.jpgDCL-001h-240x180.jpgDCL-001m-240x180.jpg

I've been duly impressed with his final product for years and this one is no exception. I finally couldn't resist any longer for my own Corsa guitar and purchased this unique custom prototype. Even the unique wood blemish that is hidden by the pickguard strikes me as singular character and gives me the pleasure in knowing it is one that will never be completely duplicated, especially since I love the look of these style guitars with a pickguard in place, and I'll own the prototype which was Larry's personal guitar...

DCL-001c.jpg

I had him switch the push pull operation to be out-of-phase for that classic Peter Green tone when the pot is up and out of the standard/normal position instead of the way it's shown in the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-iq583qtko

It will be arriving later this week... I can't wait!!!

DCL-001d.jpg

I will be selling my 2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition in Manhattan Midnight Blue w/Ebony Fretboard to defer the expense. I just never really bonded with it the way I'd hoped I would. I will be listing it in the "Trading Post" forum later on...

SSsshhhhh... Don't tell the wife...

Wow! That guitar is sweet and the tone he's pulling out of the strings is amazing! Congrats JM!

Yes, that is another of the striking things about it too. He is singularly unique in his ability to pull massive vintage tone and perfect Peter Green tone out of the guitars he builds. It is clearly a lifelong quest of his.

This particular axe has a very unique darker blend of tones which is very much right on-point with my personal discriminating tone tastes.

I like a slightly darker/richer tone than average...

There's nothing average about this axe! msp_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

wow! that's one of the coolest looking guitars i've seen in a long time!

i can't imagine what it must have cost, but if i had the money i would get one right now. good for you man!

It's not as bad as you would think. His prices are very reasonable and most of them are less than a new Les Paul Standard, and the ones you can choose all options as they are being built included the tops (including the fantastic 1-piece tops) are less than a new Les Paul Custom, even less than a Les Paul Standard Premium and are similar to a Les Paul Standard Plus in price...

He's a meticulous builder when it comes to quality and craftsmanship but his prices are reasonable!

http://www.corsaguitars.com/corsa-guitars/manalishi/

Many congratulations Jimi - I would like to play that - I can see why you have gone for it - a beaut and should be a real players' guitar!

So now you really can get those Peter Green and Kirwan tones you love so much! I am sure it will push your playing to another level.

Have you heard 'Greeny', P Green's instrumental which can be found on the expanded re-issue CD of J Mayall's 'Crusade'?

With all respect to your Vintage models I think this is going to be the real thing...... [thumbup]

awesome guitar Jimi Mac - congrats!

That's one I'd be proud to own and use at every opportunity. Hope you start gigging again - I think a lot of guitaists would come up and ask you about it - I know I would!

TY!

I plan on pushing myself to get back out there. 2013 was a break-out year for me and I gigged-out alot. 2014, not so much... I haven't gigged once this year and it's eating me up inside.

I think I'll be using this as an excuse/opportunity to simply go for it and make it happen again!

Thank you all for your very kind words!!! msp_thumbup.gif

I just checked out the link you provided - those are amongst the most superb looking guitars I have ever seen. I don't think i'd be able to choose (ok maybe #56.. or maybe... [biggrin] )

I hope he doesnt do plaintop bursts or it might just be too much to resist [scared]

It came in yesterday,

Tonight was the first chance to plug it in and give it a test-drive...

It is simply awesome!

This axe just fits me to a Tee. It instantly felt comfortable and slings utterly perfect on me. The top flame is so gorgeous it literally looks 3-d to me. I keep reaching down to touch it swearing it's going to feel like gator-hide with peaks and valleys and it's a smooth arch-top... It's simply marvelous and the tone is to-die-for!!!

I couldn't put it down tonight and it's strung with 10's not even my preferred 9's... It's just sublime!!!

I think I may have just found my new go-to axe it just reside perfectly in my comfort-zone!

The Peter Green out-of-phase tone is uncanny! And I can shut it off and stick with the more conventional Gibson-like tones too, that's a massive plus!

It is noticeably lighter than my Les Pauls and therefore more comfortable...

I'M SO PSYCHED!!! msp_thumbup.gif

I will post a viddie in the next couple days when I get a chance...

I think this is one of the best guitar moves I've ever made! It is already feeling better for me than my 2004 LP Standard LE...

It is a tone-machine!!! msp_biggrin.gif

Wow, Jimi!

Don't know how I missed this until now? Stunning guitar!

I've checked out his (fabulous) guitars and p'ups before when you've posted links and I remembered this particular guitar because of it's unique looks.

The tones he coaxes from that axe straight into the '67 2x10 are simply perfect. Real 'Beano' / 'A Hard Road' stuff. It doesn't get any better IMO.

Added to all that you have bought THAT guitar! Absolutely unique and it already has a bit of it's own history!

I couldn't be happier for you. Many congrats ! ! !

[thumbup]

P.

Thanks Pip!

There was simply something about it that spoke to me. The tones are a little darker/richer than some of the others and that's right up my alley!

Exactly as you said it's "that" guitar I now own. I wanted something different and potentially unique... I think I found that in spades!

It is simply sublime! I couldn't be happier...

It has it's own unique signature sweet spots. It's gonna take me some more time to learn 'em just right. A little tweak on the attenuator to get the levels right, a touch more amp gain and I'm really knocking the tone out of the park with it already...

Yes Scales, LOL, I'm liking it!

And yes his (Larry Corsa's) undying attention to detail and fine quality wood stock finds CV/Corsa guitars having a plethora of the most stunning tops around. The cool thing about his website are the ones you can choose from unfinished with your choice of options, color finishes, neck profiles etc. And he has a number of them you can peruse that are semi-started so you can get a feel for their finished look too... Or you can find one that is already completed that speaks to you also! I think he's really a master builder and the prices are totally reasonable!

I can now speak from experience!!! msp_biggrin.gif

You can be part of your own custom guitar build project right from the start... http://www.corsaguitars.com/gallery/tops-for-preorder/

I've got a better feeling about this guitar than I have about most any I've ever contemplated or bought before.

The finish on this one is a satin finish. It's not a hard gloss. It allows the tonewood to breath better than my glossy finished axes and I can really hear and feel the difference in the way it resonates with the tone!

I really just can't say enough about Larry Corsa, his Corsa guitars, from CV Guitars, and Larry's awesome personal customer service!

Warning... Tie a bib on now because you're gonna drool while surfing that site!

Larry's no slouch of a player either. His group;

is well traveled and somewhat known around the world...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived