Gibson Brands Forums

Real or fake les paul?

RayForGibby

Hey guys! First time posting. Sorry if its in the wrong section. I currently have a beaten up epiphone les paul tribute plus but i would like to swap it for this - http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/rare-1996-epiphone-les-paul-custom/1083610034

The guitar itself looks pretty cool. 1996, slash pickups. Just had a few questions.

1. Is this guitar real? Ive been lookin at it and the price seems a bit dodgy for a "Rare" 1996 Epiphone

2. If it is real, is it a fair swap?

Thanks in advance :)

Rock On!

Hey guys! First time posting. Sorry if its in the wrong section. I currently have a beaten up epiphone les paul tribute plus but i would like to swap it for this - http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/rare-1996-epiphone-les-paul-custom/1083610034

The guitar itself looks pretty cool. 1996, slash pickups. Just had a few questions.

1. Is this guitar real? Ive been lookin at it and the price seems a bit dodgy for a "Rare" 1996 Epiphone

2. If it is real, is it a fair swap?

Thanks in advance :)

Rock On!

Hello and welcome...

And you will probably be better off to ask this in the Epiphone area...

I know the signs of a fake Gibby but not an Epi.

Good luck [thumbup]

Honestly most of the fake epiphone are quite real, because most of them are from the Shantung factory in China, which, uses the real wood, real electronics, even wiring....just , they got fake serial number and fake hardwares....

You really believe this?

The guys who are on the MLP forum under "Epi-Bretheren" are real experts. There are some here, but they come sometimes and sometimes not. Just another place to try.

I wonder if there is enough info to be gleaned from the pics to provide an answer.

This post got my attention because of the guitar in question being described as having, "a buzz and possibly needing fretwork".

That and the fact that I just picked up a black Epiphone Les Paul Custom with a serial number I cannot track: S0300452

with a buzz that remained after just having the intonation corrected at Guitar Center today.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible I could have one of these "fake" guitars myself. Which would be a *****. After all, an imitation guitar of an imitation guitar is a bit too much to think about.

Can anyone check out that serial number and let me know what's up? Please?

This post got my attention because of the guitar in question being described as having, "a buzz and possibly needing fretwork".

That and the fact that I just picked up a black Epiphone Les Paul Custom with a serial number I cannot track: S0300452

with a buzz that remained after just having the intonation corrected at Guitar Center today.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible I could have one of these "fake" guitars myself. Which would be a *****. After all, an imitation guitar of an imitation guitar is a bit too much to think about.

This note comes up, when you run your serial number.

Samick Guitars

Samick Guitars is one of the world’s largest stringed instrument manufacturers. Samick produces acoustic, acoustic-electric, and electric models. The company began guitar production in Korea in July 1965 and started producing guitars for Epiphone in the mid 80's. They are believed to have been the main producer of Epiphone guitars during that time. During its operation the Korean factory turned out 6,500 to 8,000 instruments a month. However by 2004 no Epiphone guitars where produced by Samick and all guitar production had been moved to their factories in Indonesia and China.

Guest Farnsbarns

Did Guitar Center give you the impression that correcting intonation would affect fret buzz? I ask because, it won't and never will.

Did Guitar Center give you the impression that correcting intonation would affect fret buzz? I ask because, it won't and never will.

Absolutely never. Increasing string action might be of help when in a pinch, but fret dressing or, in case of excessive and inconsitent wear, partial or complete refretting are the only ways of addressing the very problem.

However, a bad string may cause buzz even on a nicely dressed fretboard. These things happen more often than usually assumed. Typically an inconsistency of winding pitch on a wound one is the culprit. If a string sounds impure in itself, bad buzz at certain frets is likely to occur. Neither intonation adjustment attempts nor a needless fret job are of help. Just try another string. Plain strings are rarely affected since variations in wire diameter are seldom.

Archived