Gibson Brands Forums

traditional 2014 was a mistake?

denis-brazil

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ANYBODY here tried the traditional 2015? how about?

Seen em, but didn't play any 2015. I was wondering, if the 2014 is considered bright, then I would imagine the 2015 with the nut may be slightly brighter. Don't know.

Anyway, are you happy with the 2014?

well man, on the one hand but because the guitar sounds really vintage. On the other hand, in my opinion, it could be a bit more aggressive.... so its not the right guitar to loud and riffs with tons of bass....

uote name='Golden' timestamp='1422021392' post='1619276']

Seen em, but didn't play any 2015. I was wondering, if the 2014 is considered bright, then I would imagine the 2015 with the nut may be slightly brighter. Don't know.

Anyway, are you happy with the 2014?

• 8 months later...

hey guys check this tone:

Sounds like a LP to me, nice playing too [thumbup]

By the way.. if you remove the S from https in your youtube link it will show in the post :)

And yes this is the thing with LPs and I guess guitars in general.. A lot of what you need to do to get the sounds you are looking for comes from tweaking the controls and the setup.. They really are very versatile instruments when you know how to do that.

because the gibson simply manufactured it for only a year ... which is not common ... agree?

I disagree with this comment.

I have actually learned to love the 59 tributes over all the other Gibson humbuckers.

They do have a top end sparkle and sizzle however there is no other pickup that tracks (records like them)

Plus the fact that those pickups are weaker output wise and you have to apply more distortion to them to break them up is a plus for me

rather than driving the snot out of your preamp signal chain with high level output.

I'm not a fan of the neck pickup as much and it makes sense as the 59 tributes are a spin off of the Burstbucker family. (dark and muddy)

try rolling the tone down between 8.5-8 on the 59 tributes and listen with your ears how it rounds out and fattens up.

Did you start getting this together where you are happy? These are a bit harder to dial in than the 57s imho. The Ocean Blue you can't really see. This was just set up but before the poles are done, this is from the factory but notice the treble-bass difference in the pickups?

IMG_0880_zps821e72e0.jpg

Beautiful Ocean Blue Trad.

My favorite colour and now becoming ever elusive.

I disagree with this comment.

I have actually learned to love the 59 tributes over all the other Gibson humbuckers.

They do have a top end sparkle and sizzle however there is no other pickup that tracks (records like them)

Plus the fact that those pickups are weaker output wise and you have to apply more distortion to them to break them up is a plus for me

rather than driving the snot out of your preamp signal chain with high level output.

I'm not a fan of the neck pickup as much and it makes sense as the 59 tributes are a spin off of the Burstbucker family. (dark and muddy)

try rolling the tone down between 8.5-8 on the 59 tributes and listen with your ears how it rounds out and fattens up.

I'm like you in that the 59 Tribs have become my favorite Gibby pups. So articulate and clear. The OP originally posted this back at the end of 2014 when the 2015 Trad clearly had the 59s in them as well, so I'm not sure why he thought they were only one year. Oh well. Seeing as the 2016s have gone back to the 57/57+ pups it does make the 2014 & 2015 Trad with the 59s a two year only run. And considering how poorly received the entire 2015 model year was, it really makes the 2014 Trad something special indeed as it may well become a highly sought after model with its 59 Tribs and no 2015 nonsense (yes, I know some people had heartburn over the 12th fret inlay...I don't, in fact I like it!). Anyway, the 2014 Trad is far from being a "mistake"...in fact, it's actually something quite special indeed!!!

Oh...and regarding your (T-Rev) comment about not liking the 59 Trib neck pup. That actually surprises me a lot. Because it's really the first neck pup I ever fell in love with. It's so clear and bell like...not muddy at all like so many other neck pups. I like to roll the tone back to zero and dime the volume...perfect "woman tone". I love that neck pup! :)

... Seeing as the 2016s have gone back to the 57/57+ pups it does make the 2014 & 2015 Trad with the 59s a two year only run. And considering how poorly received the entire 2015 model year was, it really makes the 2014 Trad something special indeed as it may well become a highly sought after model with its 59 Tribs and no 2015 nonsense (yes, I know some people had heartburn over the 12th fret inlay...I don't, in fact I like it!). Anyway, the 2014 Trad is far from being a "mistake"...in fact, it's actually something quite special indeed!!!

Furthermore they go back to weight relief for 2016. The 2013, 2014 and 2015 seem to stay the only solid LPs from Gibson USA since of 1983. The 2013 Traditional of mine has lots of overtones, too, with their 57/57+ pickups. She is very different from my Standards, much brighter and with lots of edge.

I think it's the entire packages which make the differences. My Traditional includes short tenon, late 50's rounded neck and 57/57+ PUs. The Standards have much less treble bite. One came with modern weight relief, long tenon, 60's slim taper neck, and BB Pros, the darkest sounding one chambered, long tenon, 60's slim taper neck and a pair of 57's. My third Standard came with modern weight relief, quilted maple top, long tenon, 60's slim taper neck, Coração de Negro fretboard, and BB 1 & 2, and with her brilliant attack and smooth tone she is sonically completely off the typical Les Paul range.

All of them are Les Paul guitars, but each has her very unique tone. Just like women... [rolleyes]

denis-brazil sounds good, yeah I hear what your saying I think thats why I switch between the 59s and 57s admittedly I like both but I tend to play the 14 much more. But just for that reason I gravitate to the 57-57 plus set.

Thats through the VOX? So how much tweaking did you do with the poles? [biggrin]

I don't know what it is with those 59s but I never played with poles that much before, never more than a couple minutes usual set-ups. The 59s, huh, I played with the poles on the Wine Red LP for two weeks on and off.

• 3 months later...

well, well, well my friends...i told you a couple of moths ago...the 59 tribute pickups were a terrible mistake...people joined in this forum to deffend them...alright... i always said it sounded weak to my ears...not just about low output,but a poor punch..

the fact is the 59 tribute are n longer avalible...the new traditonal are fadded with 57 classic...what it means? gibson reconized it was above of the reasonable...

i will definitily change my pups...so please i do accept sugestions...i do like old classic rock and roll .. no metal....ive heard about diferent brands..i dont know them....

anybody knows these pickups tested by guitar player? http://www.guitarplayer.com/pickups/1057/five-new-paf-clones-reviewed-with-video/50370

i do respect all opinions...pls respect mine..\\\\disapointed gibson...

cheers

As stated above, explore all of the tonal possibilities of your amp and guitar as that combo should sound great! I do not feel it is due to the pups but feel free to make a video and we will check it out.

Older guy told me he sees so many people swapping guitars looking for tone, but never looking for another amp instead. Different amps are a great thing to explore when looking for a different/better tone.

*Funny. With as many variations/incarnations of Les Pauls, does any Les Paul sound like a Les Paul?

There is the literal answer and the figurative answer.

In the case of the former;

"Of course. By definition they all do".

Every single instrument manufactured by Gibson which carries the name 'Les Paul' sounds like a Les Paul because it is a Les Paul.

"Les Paul", in Gibson terms, encompasses a wide range of very diverse instruments. There is absolutely to reason to expect all instruments in the range to sound identical. Indeed; there would be little point in offering such a wide range if they did sound the same.

In the case of the latter;

"Of course. The vast majority of Les Pauls sound like our usual mental image of what a Les Paul sounds like."

At the same time it must be said that the vast majority of Gibson SGs; Explorers; Flying Vs; ES-355s and any other decent-quality humbucker-equipped guitar - whether made by Gibson or not - can also sound pretty much like a Les Paul.

Pip.

Archived