Gibson Brands Forums

Chappers and the Captain buy Les Pauls

IanHenry

I used to live in Surrey and went to Andertons quite regularly, but that was before they had the wall of Les Pauls which I would like to see. They have more high end ones than they used to, but I still wish more UK stores would stock a bigger selection of Gibson archtops. Guitar village & Coda seem to be the only places that do and they are both miles away from where I live [crying]

If I were gonna go for one of the ones Lee tried (cos I don't want the fat 2015 neck) id have gone for that one in the screenshot above, the dark burst with a slim neck... Hmm that's nice..

Or the goldtop :)

Or the dark lemon burst :P

Lets face it, you wouldn't kick any of them out of bed in the morning...

Guest Farnsbarns

I used to live in Surrey and went to Andertons quite regularly, but that was before they had the wall of Les Pauls which I would like to see. They have more high end ones than they used to, but I still wish more UK stores would stock a bigger selection of Gibson archtops. Guitar village & Coda seem to be the only places that do and they are both miles away from where I live [crying]

GAK and GUITARGUITAR are both worth a look.

Love the fact that the Captain mentions getting a feel for the guitar before even plugging it in......

Firm believer in that. I sit and play them unplugged and when I realize I like it, then plug it in to make sure.......but unplugged decides "maybe" or "NO".

NHTom

Love the fact that the Captain mentions getting a feel for the guitar before even plugging it in......

Firm believer in that. I sit and play them unplugged and when I realize I like it, then plug it in to make sure.......but unplugged decides "maybe" or "NO".

I agree 100%. It's the only way to choose IMX.

Of the two they settled for The Cap'n chose the one I'd have picked.

Hard to compare directly, of course, as Chappers uses so much gain but even when the R8 was dialled-up it still sounded 'richer' to my ears through these laptop speakers.

When it was played either clean or with just a hint of grit it sounded VERY articulate and responsive.

P.

NHTom

Yes, I totally agree, you can always tell a good electric without plugging it in. This chap seems to have a similar view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCvgE6yzoAM

Ian

GAK and GUITARGUITAR are both worth a look.

Hello!

I highly agree. I have excellent experiences with Guitarguitar UK, as - generally - with companies, shops of the United Kingdom.

Obviously, everything I bought from them, was purchased unseen, still I never had any - not even the slightest - issue. Also, worth mentioning the very polite and helpful attitude.

Cheers... Bence

msp_thumbup.gif

I always have liked these guys... I guess I finally warmed-up to Chappers even if I still don't get/like dreadlocks... I guess U gotta have hair to understand them... msp_wink.gif

I tend to fall closer in line with The Captain's style anyway, but he's always been such a Strat guy and this is refreshing to see!

Makes me wanna try a '58!

The Captain made a choice with the '58; I'm hankering after one myself, although I may have to sell a kidney!

I've not been to Andertons, yet; I've perused their online store many times, and it's always full of information. GAK would be my local, although their site can often lack details on products. GuitarGuitar is not the ideal location for me; the closest is Epsom, but that's not local to me, so going up to have a play-around with a few guitars isn't an option. Their site is good, though.

Chappers plays the 2015 Les Paul Standard clean on the earlier review that I posted, and it sounds quite nice, I rather liked it. Interestingly Guitarist magazine here in the U.K reviews the 2015 Studio, De Lux and Standard in this months issue. They rate the Studio as the best buy, however the Standard looks the best to me, but it is three times the price!

They also rate the G-Tune quite highly. They also chart the developments that Gibson have introduced since the early 50's and it just goes' to show what Luddites we guitar players are and were even in the 1950's. Whilst I personally would probably ere towards the 58 reissue, I can't help being a little impressed by the 2015 Standard.

Link to Guitarist reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7eo3IuIq20&list=PLDOiIiYLl1KtyOy_Q4NY2wJrgxkellxqe&index=1

Ian

P.S it looks like you'll have to navigate through this months other Guitarist reviews to find the Les Pauls.

Chappers plays the 2015 Les Paul Standard clean on the earlier review that I posted, and it sounds quite nice, I rather liked it...

They also rate the G-Tune quite highly.

In a post earlier than the OP or in the OP, Ian?

I've just had another two goes through and can't find the Standard clean?...what am I doing wrong?

I'm sure for a great many players the G-Force is a boon. I've always said it would be great to have it offered as an option.

For anyone who plays in drop tunings? Alt. tunings? Pretty much a no-brainer, perhaps.

But using the other clip you posted for folks who know their stuff - like Mr. Moore - see how 'long' it takes to tweak a flattened / sharpened note in the 'real world';

1:08.

1:32.

2:26.

...and none of that required a quick shufti at the back of the peghead to find out which buttons need to be selected.

P.

Yes Rabs & Pippy, that's the one. It's quite a long film though. I do hate it when they start to use pedals in guitar reviews, there's enough variables with different amps without adding extra sounds, it's not the pedals that people have tuned in to listen to.

Ian

Archived