Gibson Brands Forums

Question About Custom Shop Markings

Stacanova

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post!

I've read through all of the postings on this and other forums about this topic, but I'm still a little confused.

I have two Gibson Custom Shop Guitars.

They are both 2012's with Ebony fretboards.

One is an ES-355 and the other is a CS-356

IMG_6948_zpsab895216.jpg

The CS-356

IMG_6979_zps00197b1a.jpg

Came with a Gibson Custom Shop Case

IMG_6974_zpsa487215c.jpg

Certificate of Authenticity

IMG_6970_zps9a33ed11.jpg

Has a Gibson Custom Shop Logo on the back of the Headstock

IMG_0997_zpse9c81ba0.jpg

The ES-355

IMG_0972_zps6ac3efe0.jpg

Came in a Custom Shop Case

IMG_0977_zps990415ed.jpg

No Gibson Custom Shop Logo on the back of the Headstock

IMG_0975_zps6501e139.jpg

IMG_0974_zpsd04dad40.jpg

It has the COA and the Orange Gibson Sticker inside the F hole

I'll try and add some more additional pics in a reply, I guess I reached my limit for this post?

I purchase both Online a couple of years ago and had them checked out to make sure that they were authentic. I also emailed Gibson and they verified the serial numbers matched the what the guitars are, but didn't respond when I asked why only one had the orange sticker and only one had the Logo on the back of the headstock.

They actually wouldn't respond to me about that I all, I sent 5 emails without getting a response before I just gave up.

Does anyone one have any information about why two guitars, from the same production year, that both say "Custom Shop", have these inconsistencies between them?

This has been bugging me for a couple of years, so any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Additional pics

CS-356

IMG_6960_zps5ef72cb4.jpg

IMG_6959_zpsc541aef5.jpg

IMG_6957_zps8add56ce.jpg

IMG_6951_zps6fd49a3e.jpg

IMG_6949_zps2ca54442.jpg

ES-355

IMG_0993_zps8b91a50d.jpg

IMG_1007_zps34c74824.jpg

The Pics of the 356 I took with a better camera previously, the 355 pics I took with my phone real quick to post to show the difference, so the quality is a little less.

Thanks!

What you are seeing is not inconsistencies, but rather guitars made to custom specs.

I have never seen a 356 or 336 with an orange label. The 356 is a model that was developed by the Custom shop and not a reproduction of a historic model, so they gave it a decal and no orange label. I could be wrong on the label but I have seen dozens of 336 & 356's and not seen one with an orange label. With Custom shop models, it is possible for a dealer to possibly delete or add a decal or label as part of a limited run or custom order.

The 335 is part of the historic series so it will not have a Custom Shop decal on the headstock, similar to the Les Pauls. The originals back in the 50's/etc. did not have the decal. The orange label is to replicate the historic heritage of that 335.

The mystery is finding out exactly what the dealer ordered. Customer service may not be able to help you with that. What may be common to one dealer may not show up on another dealers guitars and the folks in Customer service have limited information about those orders when they look up your serial numbers in their database.

What you are seeing is not inconsistencies, but rather guitars made to custom specs.

I have never seen a 356 or 336 with an orange label. The 356 is a model that was developed by the Custom shop and not a reproduction of a historic model, so they gave it a decal and no orange label. I could be wrong on the label but I have seen dozens of 336 & 356's and not seen one with an orange label. With Custom shop models, it is possible for a dealer to possibly delete or add a decal or label as part of a limited run or custom order.

The 335 is part of the historic series so it will not have a Custom Shop decal on the headstock, similar to the Les Pauls. The originals back in the 50's/etc. did not have the decal. The orange label is to replicate the historic heritage of that 335.

The mystery is finding out exactly what the dealer ordered. Customer service may not be able to help you with that. What may be common to one dealer may not show up on another dealers guitars and the folks in Customer service have limited information about those orders when they look up your serial numbers in their database.

Cool, thanks for the Info!

This does help me to know that the orange label isn't in the CS-356.

I did not know that they did not put the Custom Shop Logos on all the historic reissues, which I believe is what mine is?

The details on this page I'm posting a link for seem to match up to what I have, which I think was a historic reissue limited run?

http://hollowihollowbodies.blogspot.com/2012/08/gibson-custom-es-355-electric-guitar.html

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Gibson Custom ES-355 Electric Guitar with Bigsby Antique Ebony

Gibson Custom ES-355 Electric Guitar with Bigsby Antique Ebony

Brand : Gibson Custom ,Model : ES55AEBBG1

Gibson Custom ES-355 Electric Guitar with Bigsby Antique Ebony The ES-355 Limited Run electric guitar makes one of the great Gibson classics of the late '50s available again as a beautifully crafted and finished Custom Shop masterpiece. This one sports the classic Bigsby vibrato. Includes black levant hardshell case. The Gibson ES-335 brought hollowbody tradition and solidbody performance together in 1958, and it is still one of the all-time classic guitar designs. It's among the most versatile guitars you can own. Classic semi-hollowbody design and dual '57 Classic Gibson humbuckers combine to produce everything from full-bodied growls to singing sustain. The ES-335 also features a thin-tapered 1960s neck and rosewood fingerboard (24-3/4" scale), body/neck binding, nickel-plated hardware with Grover kidney tuners, Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece, separate volume and tone controls, and a 3-way switch.

Laminated plain maple top, back, and rimsMulti-ply white/black binding on top and backGold hardwareBigsby vibrato1-piece mahogany neck22-fret ebony fingerboardMother of pearl block inlaysSingle-ply white neck binding1960s slim taper neck profileGrover kidney tuners'57 Classic pickups2 volume, 2 tone, and 3-way selector switch

Archived