Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-45 Custom

RevDavidLee

Yep. Just the right amount of bling. That headstock flower was designed by Ren, before he left Bozeman. Mine is Koa - a beautiful wood, representative of the island from which it came. I think that's a great price. You would pay $600 more if it were new. I love mine. The exact opposite of buyers remorse.

I had a new one for a couple of years & just love it. I do like the rosewood tone on it and the bling is "just right" and not overstated. I believe, thru some MF coupons, that I purchased mine for $2200-$2300 new with warranty. I did have it setup at our local Gibson Factory Warranty station and that really improved the action & my enjoyment. Great guitar, love the sound, looks, fit & finish, construction, & playing. Beyond that they are just okay. [biggrin] Yeah, right!!!

Not a bad price and if near mint, plays & sounds great etc. you shouldn't regret the purchase. I will say mine did take about 9-12 months of aging & playing till all of a sudden it opened up. I had put it away for about a month or two (too many guitars) and got it back out for a rotation. It went from being just OK to being "I love this" and didn't want to take it out of the "everyone gets played" rotation I do.

Hope that helps!!

Aster

BTW How old is it?

1420934449[/url]' post='1613436']

I am just not a fan of abalone anywhere on a guitar. Pearl is nice like some of my older guitars had because it is more subtle with how it reflects light but abalone is I guess too garish looking for my tastes. Don't even like it in a rosette.

Reminds me of what we used to say, wistfully, when we were in our teens. " I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers."

Bought mine a couple weeks before Christmas, paid about $2350 out the door. It sounds fantastic, I was playing it most of this evening and it seems to be getting better and better. I love the way you can play it softly or get after it and it responds as it should. I've had too many high end acoustic guitars, and so far this one is my favorite. I don't care for much bling, but I agree with fumble, this one has just the right amount. I love a slope!

Well, when it comes to bling it seems to make the most sense to put it on a Gibson. Look at all those singing cowboy pictures and their SJ-200s. Martins just look out of place to me when they have much pearl or abalone. Martin used to try and talk people out of it on the grounds that it did nothing for the tone of the guitar (entirely missing the point)! Whereas Gibson would pretty much entertain just about any fantasy a guy could dream up. So I think if you like the look of that J-45 Custom get yourself an axe with some pizazz. You only go around once in this life so do whatever blows your hair back.

I had a new one for a couple of years & just love it. I do like the rosewood tone on it and the bling is "just right" and not overstated. I believe, thru some MF coupons, that I purchased mine for $2200-$2300 new with warranty. I did have it setup at our local Gibson Factory Warranty station and that really improved the action & my enjoyment. Great guitar, love the sound, looks, fit & finish, construction, & playing. Beyond that they are just okay. [biggrin] Yeah, right!!!

Not a bad price and if near mint, plays & sounds great etc. you shouldn't regret the purchase. I will say mine did take about 9-12 months of aging & playing till all of a sudden it opened up. I had put it away for about a month or two (too many guitars) and got it back out for a rotation. It went from being just OK to being "I love this" and didn't want to take it out of the "everyone gets played" rotation I do.

Hope that helps!!

Aster

BTW How old is it?

It's a 2011 model, I'm going to stop over there tomorrow & play her (at great peril... to my wallet..)

I should add that I already own a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe which is, and has been my favorite acoustic for the past 5 years. Not sure if I need this one too. It doesn't cost anything to go play this one so I will do that for sure.

For you guys telling me what you paid for them "new" with discounts & all - I'm going to make a few calls tomorrow to see what kind of discounts are available as well before I go over to this guys music store to play this one. If I can score new for the same price or close to it as the 2011 model he has- that will give me good leverage to tell him "Dude - I can get a brand new one for the same or cheaper" to try to drag the price down further. The only catch may be if this is a consignment piece someone has there for sale - then the store owner will have to approach the owner of the guitar to see what the bottom line price he would sell it for is. Regardless - I can have some fun here without spending anything initially. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

I had one but wasn't impressed with its sound

The action was a little high so the saddle was lowered

I think that may have influenced it

Hmmm.. well I'll see if I have the same impression as you did. It would sure help my wallet if I don't like it [smile]

Hmmm.. well I'll see if I have the same impression as you did. It would sure help my wallet if I don't like it [smile]

I do have two other model Gibsons of RW that I like and I have a few J45 hogs I like

I don't know if it was just that guitar or that combination

IMy only RW guitar was a Martin J40 and when I saw the Custom I thought Id take it for a spin, It was a "Mystic" RW and so far I love it . Like the neck better then the J40 and its a slightly better fit for me.

I took the Bragg element out and put a Amulet in so far it's a sweet sweet Gibson and I plan on keeping it. If it turns out that it's not a good guitar for you then sell it.

My '73 J45 was needing more repair than it was worth so I've been looking for over a year for a new guitar. I never really saw anything (with in reason) that I thought was enough upgrade over what I was playing. Then I tried a j45 custom redwood and I knew my search was over. I've had it for a week and it's every thing I need. I've bluegrass jammed it and it holds up fine. It's finger picker's dream IMHO.

Rev David, To quote "Judge Smails" in Caddyshack:

"Well I'm Waiting!!" [biggrin] [biggrin]

Did ya go over & play it yet??? If you did, you'd prolly own it but didn't you just buy another SG?

Aster

LOL [tongue] No actually I haven't gotten over there yet & I know John is going beserk waiting because I know he's figuring I'll walk in with cash in hand and grab it but not until I check out what discounts are available from online retailers as others have suggested. My week got much busier than I had anticipated.

This is important for another reason too - you live here in Iowa as well and that 6% sales tax on top of the price he's asking will also come into play here. The thing I forgot to ask him is if he owns it outright or if it's a consignment piece. If it belongs to someone else - he'll have to ask the seller if that's his bottom dollar price. There may be no dickering room in that case. If the store owner owns it - there will be dicker room because his business is down & he needs money to pay his bills. :)

I'm going over there Saturday (if the guitar is still there) and see what I can do. Got to play it first no matter what. B)

P.S. Yes I did just buy another SG [drool]

LOL [tongue] No actually I haven't gotten over there yet & I know John is going beserk waiting because I know he's figuring I'll walk in with cash in hand and grab it but not until I check out what discounts are available from online retailers as others have suggested. My week got much busier than I had anticipated.

This is important for another reason too - you live here in Iowa as well and that 6% sales tax on top of the price he's asking will also come into play here. The thing I forgot to ask him is if he owns it outright or if it's a consignment piece. If it belongs to someone else - he'll have to ask the seller if that's his bottom dollar price. There may be no dickering room in that case. If the store owner owns it - there will be dicker room because his business is down & he needs money to pay his bills. :)

I'm going over there Saturday (if the guitar is still there) and see what I can do. Got to play it first no matter what. B)

P.S. Yes I did just buy another SG [drool]

Of course, you are factoring in the benefit of actually hearing and playing the one there - as opposed to getting one online. And, a new one has The Gibson Warranty, IF from an authorized dealer.

They are great guitars - you won't be disappointed. Enjoy !

Of course, you are factoring in the benefit of actually hearing and playing the one there - as opposed to getting one online. And, a new one has The Gibson Warranty, IF from an authorized dealer.

They are great guitars - you won't be disappointed. Enjoy !

Absolutely! The previous owner may have just gotten her broken in for me :)

Good luck with the preview today. You can count on a 15% off coupon at Mus. Friend OFTEN. I get them via email sometimes too. The 6% does factor in but if it is in great shape, they will negotiate (even if on consignment) then at least you KNOW what you're getting after playing.

Aster

Absolutely! The previous owner may have just gotten her broken in for me :)

Yes - I got my SJ200 that way. Guy had it a few months, only played in church, but decided to trade it in for a Martin at the local Mom & Pops in Waco - and I snatched it up right away. A true keeper. I'm sure you'll find a similar treasure.

Archived