Gibson Brands Forums

Polishing a faded Gibson

Rick

Hi.

I'd like to know how would a faded guitar (such as an SG, or a Flying V) look like after a polishing treatment, for example using the Gibson Hi-Gloss polish.

I know that it won't look like a real gloss guitar, but..has anybody done something like that?

Hello Rick!

I use Virtuoso on all my guitars, including the "worn" Studio 50s Tribute. It became much nicer, but it's not high gloss at all. Let's say it's halfways.

I am on cellphone at the moment. Tomorrow I can post You before/after pictures.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks btoth76, it would be really appreciated. I'm between a faded cherry, mint, 2010 Flying V, and 2004 gloss cherry Flying V with some belt bucks and few screws missing.

There are 200€ between one and the other.

Well, in the faded.one case, I'd try to turn it a little shinier, not glossy looking, in order to turn the aging process a little slower :) (and, of course, to make her prettier ;) )

Thanks btoth76, it would be really appreciated. I'm between a faded cherry, mint, 2010 Flying V, and 2004 gloss cherry Flying V with some belt bucks and few screws missing.

There are 200€ between one and the other.

Well, in the faded.one case, I'd try to turn it a little shinier, not glossy looking, in order to turn the aging process a little slower :) (and, of course, to make her prettier ;) )

Check this thread :)

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/2621-virtuoso-polish-on-my-faded-lp-finally/

Hello Rick!

The photos in the thread, - Rabs sent You the link for - show perfectly what to expect.

This is what it did to my Studio 50s Tribute Goldtop...

From this...

HPIM2880.jpg

...it became like this:

HPIM5708_zpsfezwosc5.jpg

However, reading through that post, I have to make some remarks based on my experience. First, no such fine cream polishing compound will remove any scratches, nor dings. For that purpose, - I was told - to use coarser automotive polishes with a power tool, or Micro Mesh vinyl-backed polishing papers or sponges. Also, I don't think it is really necessary to apply polish in 3-5 turns. That's an overkill. Once the guitar has been hand-polished once, it won't get any better than that. Repeating it once or twice a year is enough. It nicely protects the guitar from dirt build-up, also cures stickiness of the neck.

Good luck... Bence

Btoth76, great job! Looks very good!

I read the thread Rabs linked me on the MLP forum. I was asking about the gibson hi-gloss polish because I live in Italy, and I read on the Virtuoso site that its sold in the USA (quite difficult for me to buy it, and I don't know if I can buy it oversea) [unsure]

Thanks btoth76, that way makes it more affordable than the US-one.

I was looking at your Goldtop once again, and it came to my mind that the tribute were satin, not faded..they should have more finish on the wood, rather than the faded ones. I'm a right?

And what about using the thru oil?

Hello Rick!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but descriptions like "faded", "satin", and in case of my Goldtop: "worn" are the same thing. Thin, unbuffed layer of nitrocellulose lacquer.

True oil is not compatible with lacquer! Do no attempt to apply it on Your instrument! By the way, Your instrument already has a final layer of finish: the lacquer itself. True-oil is used for staining and preserving raw wooden surfaces.

Cheers... Bence

If you want a really glossy coat, you're going to have to apply a coat of gloss lacquer, level sand to 2,000 grit, and then polish... more than once... with more than one compound. The mahogany back will require a stripping, then pore filler, then gloss lacquer. It might be better to just spray the top and headstock.

Not difficult stuff, just takes practise.

Careful, though, if you go this route, the flavour-aid drinkers will tell you it sucks away your thin coat vintijjjj tooooooone.

Hello Rick!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but descriptions like "faded", "satin", and in case of my Goldtop: "worn" are the same thing. Thin, unbuffed layer of nitrocellulose lacquer.

True oil is not compatible with lacquer! Do no attempt to apply it on Your instrument! By the way, Your instrument already has a final layer of finish: the lacquer itself. True-oil is used for staining and preserving raw wooden surfaces.

Cheers... Bence

Hi btoth76,

I think that would be a nice question to ask at Gibson :)

I already read that tru oil won't work well with nitro.

At this certain point, we go back to the polish or the clear layer of nitro choice.

Rick

If you want a really glossy coat, you're going to have to apply a coat of gloss lacquer, level sand to 2,000 grit, and then polish... more than once... with more than one compound. The mahogany back will require a stripping, then pore filler, then gloss lacquer. It might be better to just spray the top and headstock.

Not difficult stuff, just takes practise.

Careful, though, if you go this route, the flavour-aid drinkers will tell you it sucks away your thin coat vintijjjj tooooooone.

Hi ErickC,

Yes, i thought at the clear nitro coat, with sanding (from 600_up to 2000 grit?) and then polishing treatment (which polish? Could my hi-gloss polish work well?)

Why do you say that the back should be stripped down, then pore filled and clear lacquered? I'd like to keep the cherry finish.

Rick

Yes, i thought at the clear nitro coat, with sanding (from 600_up to 2000 grit?) and then polishing treatment (which polish? Could my hi-gloss polish work well?)

Why do you say that the back should be stripped down, then pore filled and clear lacquered? I'd like to keep the cherry finish.

Rick

Hello Rick!

You'll need the filler to have that nice, extra smooth surface usually seen on high gloss finished guitars.

If You go this route, or just apply another layer of nitro, the polishing process will be different. Then, Virtuoso or the Gibson Pump Polish won't do the job. They are too fine for that. It will require a multiple step polishing procedure, starting with a coarse compound and going through gradually finer polishing compounds, for example like this:

Behlen Rubbing Compound -> Finish-Rub -> Deluxing Compound.

Visit Behlen's site. They have excellent demo videos.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks btoth76, I'll surely take a look at Behlen's site [sleep]

It's coming out to be a hard road, this of the clear nitro coating. Anyway I'm just looking for tips and advices, I'll pick up the guitar on Wednesday, 13th (such a long wait!).

Then, I'll have to play her and see if I'm comfortable with the V. If I decide to keep her in my arsenal, I'll seriously think about what to do or what not to do [biggrin]

Meanwhile, I'll continue writing and learning here [thumbup]

Thank,

Rick

Archived