Gibson Brands Forums

Help Me With My G String!

MorrisrownSal

Loosen the G string slightly and place any sort of shim under either the bridge or the nut.

A fragment of tooth-pick.

A sliver of guitar pick.

A match-stick.

Anything.

Raise the G-string.

If it sounds good, and all the other strings act correctly, then you have a perfect guitar.

It's the nature of things.

Fix it, play it, and move on.

Have you ever met a WOMAN who had all her parts and bits in perfect symmetry?

But still you find a way to make it work with her, right?

She's flawed in some small way, but all her other strong attributes make it worthwhile.

Sort of.

Shim it and move on, man.

:unsure:

Ok,

First... BBG - Don't go there.

Second... Help me get to the bottom of my Eastman problem: I have a G String that has this ping... And I cant make it stop

No wonder the crowd at the gig were so roudy - youse guys jumpin' in ya G strings? :unsure:

Another approach to problem - check the tuning peg end of your string isn't pinging against another string going past, next check the ball end is seated under bridge pin and still no luck, try a new set of strings.

BluesKing777.

1448160317[/url]' post='1713832']

Does it make the noise when fretting up the neck? 1->14, AND then the 15th fret? Hopefully not the dreaded 14th fret hump.

Edit: did you go to a lighter string gauge?

1) as I fret up the neck, I hear the ping a little on the second and third fret, but it stops... I don't hear it up the neck.

2) the guitar came new with lights, and I just put lights in again... The action does not seem to low or high.

I also see the neck straight as I look down from the headstock.

I'm baffled.

Tune down, capo 2. Problem solved.

J/K.

You may have an improperly crowned 2nd or 3rd fret. If you have a straight edge, you could lay it across (before, after, and including) the suspect fret to see if it will "rock" or teeter-totter, due to one fret being too high. Could the neck have moved slightly if all strings were removed for the change at once?

Are you sure it comes from the string?

If you have installed pickup, and the problems appeared right after that, it may be the washer at the jack pin (inside the guitar) which vibrates.

I had this problem on my hummingbird, simply removed this useless washer and problem solved.

I think i had 2 washers : one flat, and one with dents. I removed the flat one, and kept the other one that is used to tighten the nut. Solved the problem for me.

post-73642-093120700 1448191631_thumb.jpg

sounds like you need to add a little relief ( loosen the truss rod about 1/8 of a turn ) or level the frets

My thoughts as well. I suspect a little unevenness in the fret crowning. If a tweak of the truss rod takes that out, but you don't like the resultant change in action, consider getting a fret re-crown.

Sounds a bit like a sitar tone. This occurred when you installed the pickup? Drop the pickup down in the body as the guitar lays on it's back and pluck the G to eliminate the pickup as the source. Doesn't sound like something the pickup would create but this is a process of elimination and the pickup is the new kid on the block, so to speak. Fretting past the third fret eliminates the noise? Perhaps a fret has lifted a bit, first or second. And sign of that along the side of the fretboard? Seems a lifting fret would cause a similar sound in one or two other strings fretted at the first or second though. Doesn't sound like a brace rattle. Break angles still good over the nut and saddle?

Being as that the sound presented itself after the install of the pickup I can't help but think it has something to do with this...............keep on chooglin'.

The list of those suspecting something to do with the addition of the pickup is growing. Do try to lower it down in, then give a listen.

I've taken out electronics, only to find the inside washer at the endpin was the culprit.

Then there was the Eastman with the dreaded 14th fret hump. Only let itself be known when the A string was struck/fretted anywhere lower than the 15th fret.

Doesn't sound like something the pickup would create

Happened to me, i have written about it above. This problem can be due to the washer at the end jack plug, inside the body. I agree that uninstalling would ensure it does not come from the pickup.

I would not touch the truss rod unless absolutely certain it comes from neck shape.

Ok guys...

I took out the pickup. It is still there. It is a sitar sound. It's kind of like McCartney's first pluck on Mother Nature's Son.

I reinstalled the endjack too, with rubber washers...it's tight and snug with no vibration.

Listening again, the sound is most pronounced open, but it does occur up the neck.

That makes me think saddle.

This is an Asian guitar (Eastman) of good quality (and really nice sound). The break angle from the pin holes to the saddle is steep, and perhaps the stock saddle is flattish on top. I don't have the tools to file and shape a saddle, but I think that is the likely culprit.

I will say, getting past Pingy... the plugged in sound of this guitar with the Baggs M1A is the best acoustic sound I have ever gotten plugged in. I am not giving up on this hobby project! I want to see this through. Thanks for weighing in, and I am open to anything and everything.

Have you checked with a mirror or by taking a photo that the string ball is well positionned and firmly sits outside the bridge, tighten by the pins like all other strings?

i mean this :

StreamImage.aspx?Image_ID=60769303-438F-4AB9-865A-846B9599495B&Image

Edit : nevermind you said you already tried to resit the ball ends, and also changed the pins... :\

So it may be the saddle indeed... [cursing]

Would this help ?? :

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/51935-graphite-from-pencil-as-nut-lube/

Easy to try, even though it is more for eliminating tunning "ping".

I would first capo at first fret. This will cancel out the nut. Then capo on up the neck and see what happens. If the ping goes at some point then it is the lower frets to blame. The straight edge three frets at a time will tell if there is a high fret if it rocks. A gentle file (nail file will do) on a high fret may cure it. Of course if it is still there up the neck then it could be the bridge saddle but I would doubt that. Another thing is are the machines tight sometimes a rattle comes from there abouts

Does the D string, when fretted on the 5th fret to create a G note, produce an unpleasant sound? Otherwords, perhaps the frequency of the G note causing the sound?

Otherwise, I like your suspicion about a flat spot on the saddle, Sal. I'd get that looked at.

Roger

This is an addicting mystery.

I think..maybe..it might be the nut. Lemme splain.

IF the nut slot is cut in such a fashion as to let the string rattle in the slot, it will vibrate. I have had these issues before, although, on Fenders with striaght pull, and also, never so loud. But it DOES sound like that.

It's easier to NOT have a loose slot rattle on a Gibby, obviously because the string nest on one side. BUT..at the same time, while the string may have a good seat on one end of the nut, where it leaves the nut on the other end could have the string in a place where it could rattle. Especially if there is a gradual fall-off the way the slot is cut, leaving the string to exit the slot gradually instead of more definite.

Also, while fretting the string SHOULD take the nut out of play, the headstock will still want to vibrate. If the headstock is especially resonant, I could imagine the string would still want to rattle (if it is). I would also imagine if it was still heard through the rest of the guitar, the sound would change.

It's just a theory...as I said, I have heard "rattling nut slots" before, and I wouldn't guess it would be as loud or bad as yours. But to test this "theory", I would think physically holding down the string behind the nut and plucking would make it go away or change drastically if this was the reason.

GuitarLight is back! He wants to help me too...

yt_header_left-c741fab1eed1874fcda737d186f45ba7.pngyt_logo-ebaf2870f77346d6a6280a077d9ac4f0.pngyt_header_right-0b50a4971389c7bf7c88ddbdcca60df8.pnghqdefault.jpgNew comment on your video

G String Pingphoto.jpgAngel StarMaybe you ought to learn how to play guitar first, and stop buying those junky Gibsons with the rubbery fake pick guards, and Eastmans, oh and your voice sounds like garbage. I've heard you sing.ReplyView all commentsYouTube comments are powered by Google+Learn moreUnsubscribe from these emails.

Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy, Mountain View, CA 94043 USA

Archived