Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - J45TV

jheath

Well, I'm proud to announce that after looking, pining and longing on and off for the last few years, I finally got a J45 True Vintage. A 2014 model that's could easily pass for brand new and in better shape than most of the ones hanging on the walls of guitar stores that I've played over time. I got it home yesterday, let it acclimate, put some fresh strings on it and have had a couple hours so far with it this morning. It's everything I hoped it would be and the culmination of what I was looking for in a slope D, having had a few for various times but moving along because they weren't quite right (J35, J45 std, WM45). Hopefully this ones a keeper, but that's what I think about all of them. I'm enjoying the heck out of it for now.

Huge thanks to Dave F for a great transaction on a fine instrument and for carsandguitars for taking another off my hands to make this one possible.

Here's a couple pics, I'm going to go back to playing!

5C2A78F1-E172-41FA-9B23-C0A4F40286BD_zpsgw6lnomf.jpg

B03C3E6F-0898-4F14-93BF-F2D279B17A4C_zpskc0by34e.jpg

237A5BDF-DC0F-49D0-8555-D3A87A7ED5E5_zps8ivt80eb.jpg

97CFEB81-62A9-4AB5-AA9A-C3D628B6DE17_zpsxlkpzhws.jpg

8DA8E452-DBA6-4D62-A087-0FCEA761C2DB_zpsfvkboe8f.jpg

Beautiful!

Glad you got it!

They are simply wonderful guitars, and I'm quite impressed with mine. Only niggles I have heard about/experienced: The pick guard placement (mine came to me either replaced, or reset) and the tuners-I wasn't a fan of the stock (in my case, 3 separate tuners per side) so I changed to Waverlies. I like the way the later ones (yours) look much better-how do they operate?

I think these TV guitars are great, and have not found one that's not at the very least "good"

Beautiful!

Glad you got it!

They are simply wonderful guitars, and I'm quite impressed with mine. Only niggles I have heard about/experienced: The pick guard placement (mine came to me either replaced, or reset) and the tuners-I wasn't a fan of the stock (in my case, 3 separate tuners per side) so I changed to Waverlies. I like the way the later ones (yours) look much better-how do they operate?

I think these TV guitars are great, and have not found one that's not at the very least "good"

Thanks everyone for your comments. I've been playing this beauty as much as I could over the last couple days and am so glad I took the plunge.

I've heard the same criticisms of the pickguard placement and the tuners. I think the guard on this one is spot on. The jury will be out on the tuners I think for a bit. They don't have a great feel, but so far the guitar keeps tune just fine. They don't "feel" like they belong on a guitar of this caliber, but maybe it's part of trying to get the vintage look right. At any rate, I'll leave them for a while and see how it goes.

Archived