Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Static and Pops

Gspspinone

Purchased a like new 2013 Les Paul T at Sam Ash. Noticed upon playing it at home that the neck cracks, pops When I move my hand up and down it and the guitar in general has a lot of static charge to it. Also the switch covers seem to conduct a lot if charge. The tech said it tests for ground, no wiring issues evident. Also, the guitar hums when strings are not touched, especially with the tone knobs turned up.

To their credit, Sam Ash has tried to accomadate me and are currently working to resolve the issue (without luck so far). The manager even offered me a sweet deal on a new LP....I tried 11 of them and guess what? All 11 had the same static issue. I even had the Salesman try them out, he had the same issue. We tried different amps in different parts of the store, different cables...all of them did it.

I know this topic has been covered before but my question is: HAS ANYONE DEFINATIVELY DISCOVERED WHAT CAUSES THIS AND WHAT CURES IT???

HAS ANYONE DEFINATIVELY DISCOVERED WHAT CAUSES THIS AND WHAT CURES IT???

mostly, it's Static Electricity, more prone to this in the winter when home's the heater are running and the air is dry

pull a dryer sheet that's been used once, out of your dryer, try rubbing the back of the neck and back of the body with it.

you could also "improve" your ground system by making sure there is a ground wire connecting each tone/vol pot inside the control cavity. there should already be one run to a ground wire that is installed on the treble side of your bridge post.

Guest Farnsbarns

Caveat. The hum and the static are probably not related. If the ground is good it could be a fluorescent light or dimmer switch or an electric motor such as fridge or freezer.

maybe not related,

but I can say that when I was tracking down a similar little bugger, (static pops just like described here, a buzzing sound, stopped when I touched the bride) that's what ultimately fixed it. (eg: ground all the pots to each other.) seriously. quiet as a mouse.

maybe not related,

but I can say that when I was tracking down a similar little bugger, (static pops just like described here, a buzzing sound, stopped when I touched the bride) that's what ultimately fixed it. (eg: ground all the pots to each other.) seriously. quiet as a mouse.

So much comedy, so little time...

rct

So, the Sam Ash tech couldn't solve the issue, in fact it grew worse after he replaced the toggle switch and shielded some wiring. They pretty much tapped out after that and offered me a refund or exchange so they gave me a great deal on a 2015 LP Traditional Classic Ice Tea plain top. As I mentioned earlier, all the LP's there "crackled" somewhat but this one less than all the others so I'm hoping it just has to be worn in some. If not it's got full warranty coverage which is better than the one I returned (only 30 days).

Thanks for the replies and helping out this noob.

Update....and let's just say Gubson has not distinguished itself as a product or company:

Long story short: store is Sam Ash in CT, guitar was Gibson LP T, with "static" issues had, returned it, got another LP T and this one had same issue only worse as this one also had a grounding issue that would cut out all the electronics on the guitar and cause serious feedback...returned it. A sales associate and I went though every LP in the shop, from Studio Faded to Custom Shop and in between...they all had static, every last one! We tried a bunch of Fenders (Teles and Strats)...no static. We tried a bunch of Epiphone Les Pauls...no static. I finally settled on a Gibson SG Stsndard that seemed "less staticky" with the agreement that if it didn't dissipate in a week is return it...3 days in and the static is growing daily.

I've wiped down with the dryer sheets with no benefit (the Les Pauls too, btw). I've switched cords, outlets, rooms...no change. I have a Fender Tele that works just fine, no static.

So, is this a Gibson QC is a issue? I don't know...but how can EVERY guitar of one brand have the same issue and no guitars of every other brand not have any issues IN THE SAME STORE? I stopped at two mom and pop shops locally who had a few used LP's... None of those had the static issue. (One was a T but had a repaired headstock and the other shop had some Standards but they were a little too pricey...just to answer the inevitable "why didn't you buy one of those from the M&P).

As an aside, I can tell you that Gibson customer service sucks...I've called them 4 times now...left 4 messages after long hold time( the system keeps prompting to leave a vm due to high call volume) with no return call. Also sent two emails...no responses.

So, I scrimped and saved for the past year to buy a Gibson Les Paul...sold one of my other guitars (a Strat) to help fund it as well and when none of them in the shop work as they're supposed to I settle on another Gibson product (stupid me) that also doesn't work and Gibson can't return my calls or emails?

I'm very disappointed in Gibson as a product and as a company.

Update....and let's just say Gubson has not distinguished itself as a product or company:

Long story short: store is Sam Ash in CT, guitar was Gibson LP T, with "static" issues had, returned it, got another LP T and this one had same issue only worse as this one also had a grounding issue that would cut out all the electronics on the guitar and cause serious feedback...returned it. A sales associate and I went though every LP in the shop, from Studio Faded to Custom Shop and in between...they all had static, every last one! We tried a bunch of Fenders (Teles and Strats)...no static. We tried a bunch of Epiphone Les Pauls...no static. I finally settled on a Gibson SG Stsndard that seemed "less staticky" with the agreement that if it didn't dissipate in a week is return it...3 days in and the static is growing daily.

I've wiped down with the dryer sheets with no benefit (the Les Pauls too, btw). I've switched cords, outlets, rooms...no change. I have a Fender Tele that works just fine, no static.

So, is this a Gibson QC is a issue? I don't know...but how can EVERY guitar of one brand have the same issue and no guitars of every other brand not have any issues IN THE SAME STORE? I stopped at two mom and pop shops locally who had a few used LP's... None of those had the static issue. (One was a T but had a repaired headstock and the other shop had some Standards but they were a little too pricey...just to answer the inevitable "why didn't you buy one of those from the M&P).

As an aside, I can tell you that Gibson customer service sucks...I've called them 4 times now...left 4 messages after long hold time( the system keeps prompting to leave a vm due to high call volume) with no return call. Also sent two emails...no responses.

So, I scrimped and saved for the past year to buy a Gibson Les Paul...sold one of my other guitars (a Strat) to help fund it as well and when none of them in the shop work as they're supposed to I settle on another Gibson product (stupid me) that also doesn't work and Gibson can't return my calls or emails?

I'm very disappointed in Gibson as a product and as a company.

The static issue is called Nitro Cellulose. It doesn't like dried out winter air. Every Gibson guitar uses the same Nitro finish. No other guitars you are playing in the store use it. In the summer the problem will be less of an issue.

Take the guitar back and buy an Epiphone. problem gone.

As for the other "grounding" issues.. Well, ground issues can't cause feedback so don;t trust the word of who ever made that diagnosis.

Good Luck! [thumbup]

Searcy: thanks for the info, as for the "ground" issue that's what their tech told me. Is it possible the store is too dry b/c the LP's in the other two shops were fine?

It's possible. The only Gibson I have that has ever had this issue is my 2015 SG. It changes with the humidity in the room.

Went through the same problem with my Gibson Sgs I had a 04 standard for years no problem, but sold it a few years back then I bought a 2013 Sg standard big time static off the neck, after a year I sold it bought then bought the Gc 2014 Sg standard 61 with the split coil went through 4 of these every one had that static bad tried every new Gibson in local Gc Lloyd have the same issue bad lps std Sg Ext...so got my money back and bought a 2001 Gibson Sg 61 reissue NO PROBLEMS at all . So all I know for sure is from 2004 back this is not a issue but it sure is now , under the current state I would not buy Gibson of any kind . Good luck with this it's a big problem that no one wants to talk about but I am glad people are now !

Caveat. The hum and the static are probably not related. If the ground is good it could be a fluorescent light or dimmer switch or an electric motor such as fridge or freezer.

maybe not related,

So, the Sam Ash tech couldn't solve the issue, in fact it grew worse after he replaced the toggle switch and shielded some wiring. They pretty much tapped out after that and offered me a refund or exchange so they gave me a great deal on a 2015 LP Traditional Classic Ice Tea plain top. As I mentioned earlier, all the LP's there "crackled" somewhat but this one less than all the others so I'm hoping it just has to be worn in some. If not it's got full warranty coverage which is better than the one I returned (only 30 days).

Thanks for the replies and helping out this noob.

Static electricity that is built up can and will indeed itself be prone to picking up noise.

Grounding the heck out of everything is not always better, because it can cause ground loops, which generally will make a thing MORE prone to noise than not.

Without a full on lesson in grounding from an un-qualified guy, I'll just say that Gibson's have an advantage using humbuckers, but the wiring schematic and use of shielded hook-up wire makes grounding more complicated.

THIS result here is likely what one should expect if they just start soldering grounds to everything and each other. It might seem intuitive, but it makes things much worse, especially if it is already grounded.

The static issue is called Nitro Cellulose. It doesn't like dried out winter air. Every Gibson guitar uses the same Nitro finish. No other guitars you are playing in the store use it. In the summer the problem will be less of an issue.

Take the guitar back and buy an Epiphone. problem gone.

As for the other "grounding" issues.. Well, ground issues can't cause feedback so don;t trust the word of who ever made that diagnosis.

Good Luck! [thumbup]

Every new Gibson more or less had the static clicks and pops issue for a certain period. It took typically circa two years until it had diminished to the level of that of guitars of mine with polyester and polyurethane finishes, that is Epiphone, Fender, and Ibanez. The three NOS Gibsons of mine, twenty to twenty-six months old when I bought them, didn't cause significant static problems from the start.

Searcy: thanks for the info, as for the "ground" issue that's what their tech told me. Is it possible the store is too dry b/c the LP's in the other two shops were fine?

It's possible. The only Gibson I have that has ever had this issue is my 2015 SG. It changes with the humidity in the room.

To my experiences relative humidity and clothing of the player do either have an impact. Furthermore, ventilating new guitars supports evaporation of remaining solvents and adding humidity to the finish. As soon as the equilibrium humidity is achieved, nitro lacquers are no more prone to static electricity than poly finishes.

Ground loops within guitars are often underestimated. They invite trouble no matter if a unit has active electronics or not.

I tried the dryer sheet again...nothing. If I rub the wood body of the guitar, near the controls and behind the stop tail the guitar sizzles and busses just like on the neck, if I rub the large plastic pick guard I get no noise... The rear control plate is also very loud.

I know this isn't the $2000 LP but it's still a $1200 guitar and how any of these guitars are acceptable for sale is beyond me...despite loving the playability of the SG (almost as much as the LP, and more than my Tele) I think am going to return it.

I don't get why this isn't a larger consumer issue???

.BTW, Gibson customer service still hasn't contacted me by email or phone.

I tried the dryer sheet again...nothing. If I rub the wood body of the guitar, near the controls and behind the stop tail the guitar sizzles and busses just like on the neck, if I rub the large plastic pick guard I get no noise... The rear control plate is also very loud.

I know this isn't the $2000 LP but it's still a $1200 guitar and how any of these guitars are acceptable for sale is beyond me...despite loving the playability of the SG (almost as much as the LP, and more than my Tele) I think am going to return it.

I don't get why this isn't a larger consumer issue???

.BTW, Gibson customer service still hasn't contacted me by email or phone.

This here, I don't understand. I don't know who does.

To be fair, not saying you aren't having issues, but your case is a mystery, because this isn't something that is occurring for most of us. Certainly, not a whole store suffering from this, and not being able to fix it.

As for Gibson CS, keep in mind, they get a lot of calls, and they likely don't know what to say, and are probably getting back to those that they have answers for. Besides, it isn't for sure a Gibson issue, it's just your particular store, and maybe just you as well (Again, not saying you don't have a problem or it's your fault).

Wish I had an answer, really I do. It's at the very least, a great mystery from here in the cyberworld.

One possibility: maybe you as an individual, for whatever reason, tend to have a lot of static electricity build up. I used to get that at work in a particular building, and would discharge myself on a doorknob. It would make a spark. Every day. It came from walking a lot on the carpet at a fast pace throughout the day.

Well, trying to find an answer for this led me to several forum discussions and YouTube video's detailing the same issue, so I don't think it's an unknown for Gibson, as for their lack of CS...it's appalling that a customer left now 5 messages (one with a secretary) and 2 emails in 5 days without a call back...as for my personal static charge, I would assume that would translate to other guitars as well, not just the Gibsons...and Gibsons at 2 other stores didn't do it.

I wish there was an easy a answerI truly love the playability and tone of LP's and SG's ....my Tele is rock solid but it lacks that crunch

This problem is not a store state or temp control issue its a problem with whatever Gibson is using in there finish ( nitro) maybe mixed with something other than what they used before? Not sure but it is a globe issue that no one seems to want to talk about or do anything about like I said before after 4 going through 4 new gibbons I got a 2001 Sg 61 reissue and no more problem . It's to bad Gibson or anyone else wants to deal with this big problem !!!

Ok, so drove by a Guitar Center today while working, spent my lunch hour trying out some of the Gibson's in the shop..2 SG's and 3 Les Paul's ...ALL of them exhibited the static problem...struck up a convo with another customer about this, he'd not heard of it but he tried the guitars and they were doing the same for him.

Stopped at a small mom and pop after work while my kid was at Karate class...had just taken in a 2014 SG...tried that, minimal to normal static (winter dry air type stuff)...had 57's and coil tapped pots, small pick guard...I may end up buying this one if I can get a decent price on it.