Gibson Brands Forums

2016 HUMMINGBIRD VINTAGE

BirdMan81

Surgery is done. ACL and meniscus reconstruction! I've never known pain like this. After laying down for a while and then standing up...all the blood surges to my knee throbbing and feeling like its gonna explode! Surgery was on Monday...finally feeling better and up to dealing with the hummingbird situation. I reached out to Don yesterday and left a voice mail. Fingers crossed he calls back today!

image_42.jpeg

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I faced the same situation tore my ACL and miniscus while playing Australian Football, in Germany of all places.

But I chose not to go through the whole reconstruction, but instead worked in the gym on the muscles around the knee. Its almost as strong now as if it had an ACL, only thing I cant do is downhill skiing as it really puts a lot of left / right pressure on the knee ......

Guess youre gonna have a lot of time to pick that Bird.

Done deal! Bird is going back to gibson, replacement will be on its way when they receive mine. Don has assured me they will send a good one! The whole process has been awesome dealing with Don and Gibson! They have created a customer for life.....what's next? J200 Vintage!

1458325235[/url]' post='1752614']

Done deal! Bird is going back to gibson, replacement will be on its way when they receive mine. Don has assured me they will send a good one! The whole process has been awesome dealing with Don and Gibson! They have created a customer for life.....what's next? J200 Vintage!

Another hummingbird happy ending! Congrats Birdman! Can't wait to see and hear it!

Best wishes on the guitar switch!

Had both my knee and my shoulder operated on. Here's my tip: double down on the pain meds before Phys Therapy and do the work. It'll still hurt but not as bad and shortly you'll be feeling better. They tried to make me skip the Phys Therapy for my knee and it did not work....

Awaiting the delivery of your new git. Why not film us an unboxing video?

I'd be happy to film an un-boxing. I'll also do a short sound demo so we can compare the old sound vid to the new one. My guess is that I'll have the new one two weeks from this Monday. In the meantime the Epibird will have to do. It's not a bad little guitar. I bet it sounds better plugged in than not. Thanks for the PT tip. I have been struggling with it. And I took a lot of the pain MEDS up front....I'm slowly running out. I may try for a refill but those suckers are so addicting. I did find that taking them before my exercises helps a lot. Thanks for the support. I'll let you know when the new one arrives!

Don is a class guy !

glad you have had a great customer service experience.

JC

The Gibson is packed up and awaiting a label from Don! Just the Epiphone Bird to keep me company for the next few weeks. I can notice the smaller nut width right away!

Doesnt sound half bad though really, and looks the part. Obviously the depth is not there and overall quite thin, but the fundamentals are there, and I reckon you do a very good job in trying to mil as much as you can out of the box.

Doesnt sound half bad though really, and looks the part. Obviously the depth is not there and overall quite thin, but the fundamentals are there, and I reckon you do a very good job in trying to mil as much as you can out of the box.

Might have something to do with the brutal mic/recording angle. Unless Mike was going for some serious "soft-knee" compression in his recording, at any cost. To the listener/viewer. ; ).

Drathbun recently posted a series of recording vids from Neumann, part 2 here was quite informative. Skip to t = 5:55 for the summation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Fhl-SASMk

Yah....those videos are quite informative. Unfortunately I'm home alone with an out of commission knee. I mean, I'm peeing into empty bottles on the couch to avoid having to go through the pain of getting up....so mic angle and selection were not a top priority for me :) I slammed my cell phone on the coffee table and hit record. Lucky my wife loves me enough to empty my lazy cans for me when she gets home!

Yah....those videos are quite informative. Unfortunately I'm home alone with an out of commission knee. I mean, I'm peeing into empty bottles on the couch to avoid having to go through the pain of getting up....so mic angle and selection were not a top priority for me :) I slammed my cell phone on the coffee table and hit record. Lucky my wife loves me enough to empty my lazy cans for me when she gets home!

Geez , for better or for worse eh

The shipping label arrived from Don today! The guitar is on its way back to Gibson and should be there end of next week! I'll post some pics of the replacement when it comes in.

Side note: first week after knee surgery was HELL, but I'm over the hump and each day is getting better!

I have a few ideas for you. If you want the bird, wait for Musician's Friend to run a sale like 15% off. Then call Zzounds and they'll match the price and give you 12 months interest free to pay it off. If you want a Martin, I would suggest a D-35 because it has great bass without it overpowering everything else. Since it has 1/4 inch braces it is more responsive than the D-28. Actually, the D-18 now is built like the original with forward shifted scalloped braces, but it's highs and mids are not as good as the 35 IMO. The HD35 has scalloped braces and to me it is too bassy, especially if you want to sing. For the best Martin price anywhere call Jon or Sharon Garon at My Favorite Guitars in Naples Florida. Ask him for a price...he charges 60% of list plus $39 shipping for any Standard Martin with a list over $3000. 65% for Martins under $3000. The price he lists for Customs on his website is the actual price...it is 60% of Martin's list on it. You can't beat his service anywhere for a Martin. He will allow you to return the guitar after 3 days if it's new; there is no return on a used instrument...just so you know. He sometimes has fabulous prices on used stuff, but not at the moment. My favorite strings are D'Addario PB lights uncoated. They are inexpensive, and sound great. I can change strings in less than 10 minutes so I don't care how long they last. Martin strings are made in Mexico. I like US made stuff when possible.

I have a few ideas for you. If you want the bird, wait for Musician's Friend to run a sale like 15% off. Then call Zzounds and they'll match the price and give you 12 months interest free to pay it off.

Probably not. The catch on the financing (and Zzounds/American Musical financing is really EZ to get) is that it only applies to full price. At least that's been my experience. (BTW: Zzounds/America Musical was a pleasure to deal with.)

And I thought looking at pictures of bloody bandages was the low point of this thread.

Ha! There is always the possibility of a thread's floor to drop out even lower....I think this thread might just be missing a heated political debate to bring it to an even lower point!

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been over a week since I had any communication with Don. Last thing I got from him was an email stating they received my returned Bird, and he would be replacing the guitar. I have sent several emails following up since then and they have received no response.....should I be worried? Probably not. Am I frustrated. YES.

Archived