Gibson Brands Forums

1947 J 50 VOS LTD

JuanCarlosVejar

Sounds pretty good, I reckon, though it is cheating to record an acoustic guitar in a roomful of more acoustic guitars. Looks like they could have done a better job on quarter sawing the top, especially on a natural top.........grain runout shows quite distinctly. Real professional ending to the video as well........ <_<

Agree about the top's runout. Wouldn't be my choice.

Hopefully other examples of this new model will have better looking tops.

Sounds pretty good but what with all the strumming and a tiny bit of finger picking, it's hard to really get an idea of what this model can do.

Anyone know how it's braced? Thickness of neck?

It's priced the same as a 2016 J-45 vintage which has an adi/sunburst top. Other than the J-50 having a cooked Sitka/natural top l'm not sure what the differences are. I agree that's not a particularly good looking spruce top for a pricey guitar.

the fingerpicked part at the end - the tone really reminds me of bob dylan's j50 that he played on his first 3 albums...love love love that tone

but i just received a 2016 j45 vintage two weeks ago today so i'll shut up

Didn't do much for me. But YouTube videos seldom do. $4000 is way, way more than I would dream of paying for any current Gibson model. Not very impressed with his playing, I think they were trying to be "cute" at the end of the video, like the way some movies include embarrassing out-takes during the credits. I wouldn't have even watched that much if I wasn't curious about the comments people made on the ending - was ready to click away after about 30 seconds of his playing. [flapper]

Archived