Gibson Brands Forums

Year guitar made

Guest Mark5

I have an ES125. Trying to find out the year it was made. The only markings on the guitar are numbers stamped on the inside of the guitar. One gives the model name of ES126 and the other is1171 25. If anyone can tell me the year it was made it would be appreciated. Thanks

1171 25 would appear to be a FON (Factory Order Number) dating to 1948. The first four digits (1171) are referred to as the "batch number"; and the last two (25) are referred to as the "sequence number".

The ES-125 model was introduced in 1946. Production totals are not available for the first two years, but 1,573 were produced in 1948. By 1952, and through 1956, they were producing upwards of 3,000 per year, and then production began to decline (drastically, by the 1960's).

Thanks. I was told to look for a letter before the numbers but there isn't one.

Gibson used letter prefixes in some of their numbering systems, but not all. There were a variety of numbering systems used over the years.

Gibbons charts aren't very clear either.

I don't know what charts you're referring to, but you can learn more here: http://www.guitarhq.com/gibson.html#serial

Archived