Gibson Brands Forums

Tom Petty

brc

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the pleasure of seeing Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers here in the UK back in the 70's, they were the support band but I can't remember who they were supporting. I do remember that Tom was playing an Ibanez Flying V copy, that was when owning a real Gibson anything was just a dream for my mates and myself. He was a class act back then and he just got better and better.

RIP Tom

Ian

I am a lifelong Tom Petty fan and finally went to see him live for the first time in July out in Detroit. I made the 8 hour drive there from my home in south central Pennsylvania and am glad I did. What an amazing body of work. I play some Petty covers like it sounds like many of us do. I grew up on Petty, he was the sound of my youth. Rest In Peace Tom, you will be missed.

For many of us who are in our fifties and sixties, Tom Petty's music was the soundtrack of our lives.

I believe, what the Beatles were to their generation, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, were the signature sound of our lives.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers last set list.

Rockin’ Around With You

Mary Jane’s Last Dance

You Don’t Know How It Feels

Forgotten Man

I Won’t Back Down

Free Fallin’

Breakdown

Don’t Come Around Here No More

It’s Good To Be King

Crawling Back to You

Wildflowers

Learning to Fly

Yer So Bad

I Should Have Known It

Refugee

Runnin’ Down A Dream

You Wreck Me

American Girl

I Think Tom Petty and the heartbreakers were a great rock and roll band . so this news is hard to hear . I loved the cover song they choose to play . Good luck to the rest of the band I would think it would like the loss of a family member to them . Tom Petty a true music man .

Late to this as well as I've been offline. Gotta' say I'm really rather gutted and damn near anything Tom Petty.

When it came across the stuff he did in The Travelling Wilburys and End of the Line came about it struck a bit of a nerve. That's been on repeat today. Beautiful song written after the passing of Roy Orbison, and now we've lost a third Wilbury msp_crying.gif

We had a barbecue on Saturday night with all of the folks that are playing on an album project that I am involved with. The musicians are all seasoned and have been in LA for 30 plus years (except for me on both counts, I lived in San Francisco for 20). We were eating and listening to music on the outdoor system and Free Falling came up. One woman who went to see Tom at the Hollywood Bowl for what turned out to be his last concert started crying. Everyone was silent except to sing the obligatory "Livin in Reseda" and most of the rest of the words. One person lives in Reseda. I ended up just playing Tom Petty on the system for the rest of the night. Every single song was great. A number of us had met him before. He came into where I work once or twice a year when he was in town. We had the same dentist.

Such a big influence. I saw him in 78 at the Orpheum in Memphis. Changed a lot for me. He (they) were outstanding. I remember hearing Breakdown the first time. I honestly thought it was Jagger.

I have been and will continue to be so bummed about this.

• 2 months later...

Archived