Gibson Brands Forums

Another gadget. BK , get the credit card out 😂

blindboygrunt

I saw near the train station, they have Smart Buses! (with stupid drivers!).

And now we have the World's First Smart Guitar (Maybe for stupid drivers too? Or guitarists?)

Oh yeah, there is possibly not one single thing I like about it:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hyvibe-the-world-s-first-smart-acoustic-guitar#/

BluesKing777.

I saw near the train station, they have Smart Buses! (with stupid drivers!).

And now we have the World's First Smart Guitar (Maybe for stupid drivers too? Or guitarists?)

Oh yeah, there is possibly not one single thing I like about it:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hyvibe-the-world-s-first-smart-acoustic-guitar#/

BluesKing777.

I couldn’t hear the tone of the guitar as it was drowned out by JESUS WEEPING whenever anyone picked it up. A real study in how to take a tried and tested instrument and turn it into a grief laden sh!tbin.

I watched the entire thing...ALL of the effects were massively over the top and ugly sounding, even the reverb. All in an unsubtly proportioned barn door preamp with built in obsolescence, attached to a guitar that looks like a Martin DX1.

I admire the developers’ ambition, but the execution is so charmlessly poor that it makes me want to run into the arms of Esteban and tell him that all is forgiven.

That's what I use for restrings... drill on low torque, and my Peterson tuner:

9XDeVu8.jpg

Absolutely love Peterson gear. I used their stage tuners for many years, since the first Strobostomp came out. The best was the second generation Strobostomp, such a well made bit of kit. I was disappointed with the Stomp Classic that followed, but maybe I just got a dodgy example. I wouldn’t use anything other than a Peterson for setup or intonation work on my electrics, fabulous results every time!

Absolutely love Peterson gear. I used their stage tuners for many years, since the first Strobostomp came out. The best was the second generation Strobostomp, such a well made bit of kit. I was disappointed with the Stomp Classic that followed, but maybe I just got a dodgy example. I wouldn’t use anything other than a Peterson for setup or intonation work on my electrics, fabulous results every time!

I was disappointed in the Peterson clip-on but this Strobo-Plus desktop tuner (not really a stomp) is fabulous. It lets you store custom tunings. I created one custom tuning based on James Taylor's method of tuning, which is:

-3 cents for E/1st

-6 cents for B

-4 cents for G

-8 cents for D

-10 cents for A

-12 cents for E/6th

It works very well for capo 2-5 IMO.

I was disappointed in the Peterson clip-on

Are you talking about the original silver StroboClip or the new black StroboClip HD version, Drathbun?

but this Strobo-Plus desktop tuner (not really a stomp) is fabulous. It lets you store custom tunings. I created one custom tuning based on James Taylor's method of tuning, which is:

-3 cents for E/1st

-6 cents for B

-4 cents for G

-8 cents for D

-10 cents for A

-12 cents for E/6th

It works very well for capo 2-5 IMO.

Glad you like your StroboPLUS, btw, that Sweetener you mention is already pre-programmed in your StroboPLUS HD, its called ACU.

Since 2005, all of our tuners have featured the James Taylor offsets as a stock factory preset.

There's quite a few other Sweetened tunings on the trading post that you can add to your tuner.

Here's the background to the James Taylor offsets:

About a dozen years ago I got a call from Sammy Sanchez, JT's tech at the time. He wanted to know if it was possible to program a custom Sweetened tuning into JT's stage tuner (a Peterson StroboStomp1). JT had some cent values he wanted to use which made it possible to tune open strings quickly while counteracting the typical string deflection and make it possible, if necessary, to put a capo on without re-tuning. The plan was to program the cent values into the tuner to avoid having to remember which cent offset belonged to which string in the middle of a gig, just tune as normal and have the tuner do the rest.

I walked Sammy through the process of entering the cent offsets into the tuner and all was good. A short time later I later met Sammy working a Ben Harper gig and Ben was also using the offsets, I seem to remember Keb'Mo' doing likewise but I could be mistaken, this was back in 2005 or thereabouts.

JT was not interested in endorsing gear at the time, but was cool with us making it a stock preset Sweetened Tuning in future tuners, so that's what we did, the preset is called ACOUST or on later tuners - ACU.

All of the current Petersons feature this as standard and as far as I know are the only tuners on the market to do so.

Years ago I bought a pack of Ernie Ball strings and got this for free.

I got this in 1974 at the same time I bought my first J-50. It's all I've ever used and is still going strong. Why in the world would anyone need a power string winder unless they were doing string changes all day in a repair shop? [confused]

winder.jpg

I got this in 1974 at the same time I bought my first J-50. It's all I've ever used and is still going strong. Why in the world would anyone need a power string winder unless they were doing string changes all day in a repair shop? [confused]

winder.jpg

? Mine was free.

Have any of you actually noticed that it’s not a string winder !!?

Yes, that was pretty obvious. And I think we discussed this product here last year. It was a Kickstarter project:

And it still looks just as ridiculous to me as it did back then. ;)

Are you talking about the original silver StroboClip or the new black StroboClip HD version, Drathbun?

Glad you like your StroboPLUS, btw, that Sweetener you mention is already pre-programmed in your StroboPLUS HD, its called ACU.

Since 2005, all of our tuners have featured the James Taylor offsets as a stock factory preset.

There's quite a few other Sweetened tunings on the trading post that you can add to your tuner.

Good to know Johnny! Thanks!

Archived