Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson es 345 neck question, please help..

Buddha 345

Hi,

Recently I bought a second hand 345 VOS Frost Blue in mint condition but where the neck

meets the body there appears to be a crack. Its not deep. The guitar keeps the tuning perfectly.

Do I have to be concerned? Will it get worse? Is it normal?

If it is only a cosmetic issue I can live with it no problem.

All help would be greatly appreciated..

(I hope one of the photos will show)

http://20180602_151924.jpg[/img]

https://postimg.cc/image/8epymw7y5/[/img]

post-92763-089222900 1528134146_thumb.jpg

As you know by now from your other forum posts, that is cosmetic. That is the neck joint where the neck meets the body. Shouldn't look like that of course, but that's what a cosmetic imperfection is. Don't know why, but as good as the recent years Memphis models are, they had an unusual number of problems with the Pelham Blue ES-345s.

I had a new yellow 98 Gibson SG-X that my bass player knocked over falling hard on its face and had a finish fracture that looked like yours.

Note: I WOULD NOT RECOMEND THE FOLLOWING.....

I was worried to death about it and very carefully flooded super glue into the seam. Then sanded the seam with 1500 grit and polished it out. The end result was a discolored seam. I owned the SG for 20 years and never had any problems because of it. I just sold it a few months ago. It most likely would have been just fine if I had left it alone.

A finish fracture doesn't necessarily mean there is a neck fracture, but more likely the neck joint may have flexed more than the hard nitro finish could.

I doubt it came from the factory that way, if it had, it most likely would have been marked a 2nd.

image from web...

IMG_9670.JPG

Seamless....

Its a beautiful guitar I would recommend having a good luthier check it out.

20180602_151924.jpg

I doubt it came from the factory that way, if it had, it most likely would have been marked a 2nd.

image from web...

IMG_9670.JPG

Seamless....

Its a beautiful guitar I would recommend having a good luthier check it out.

I agree with your probable cause, but that indeed could have come that way. Flaws like that have passed though. And there are no seconds, so please don't say that like it could have been done. You can be sure that "seamless" pic you show is not seamless. Just well enough finished that you can't see it in that pic. A well finished neck joint will still show a seam, nothing wrong with that. But the finish does span the seam however small it is, and a few different things like even a slight flex can crack the finish there. A lot of vintage guitar show cracks there, and there is not a thing wrong with them.

Show me an SG that doesn't flex!

OP, if the guitar is a good one and you like it, take it to a luthier if it would make you feel better, but you already said no big deal if it is cosmetic. Those Frost Blue 345s are hard to come by, and they really really great guitars.

Show me an SG that doesn't flex!

This is a generalization. There has been a lot of variation in the neck design of the SG and highly depends what generation you are talking about. My SG-X had the style shown below on the right with a 24 fret neck and was very stable even after it fell.

2008-sg-usa-title-04-01.jpg

Since we don't know the history before Buddha 345 purchased the 345, its all speculation.

Hi,

Recently I bought a second hand 345 VOS Frost Blue

20180602_151924.jpg

This 345 is looks beautiful and should be appreciated, despite what looks like could be a finish fracture. It just adds character and I think a lot of it could be polished out.

Archived