Gibson Brands Forums

weight vs. sustain & tone

american cheez

so, i found this video, and it made me think of discussions we've had here where people pooh-pooh weight relieved les pauls as being inferior to solid ones. although i did not see results i was not expecting, maybe some of you might.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYK0XX-nDVI

Didn’t even watch the video but based on the thumbnail looks like a copy of an older Johan Segeborn video

Yes, I also did not expect to see any major difference. :-k

That said, I wish someone would do a single-note-on-the-high-e-15th-fret-decay-test using a 9-hole LP and a Modern Weight Relieved LP.

If such a comparison video exists, I would coitenly like to see it!

I have no resources for such a test plus I am too lazy.

Even still it wouldn’t be considered a scientific test because there are other variables that affect sustain like how level the frets are, neck relief, string height, etc and that doesn’t even address differences in electronics and wood

That said, I wish someone would do a single-note-on-the-high-e-15th-fret-decay-test using a 9-hole LP and a Modern Weight Relieved LP.

Suggest it to Johan Segeborn, he may actually do it.

I have 4 Les Pauls of various weight relief and actual weight.

1. 2017 Standard - Ultra Modern - 8 pounds 5 ounces.

2. 2017 Tribute - 9 hole - 9 pounds

3. 2018 Traditional - none - 8 pounds 11 ounces

4. 2018 Classic - none - 11 pounds

I don't notice much difference between them, their sustain and their sound unplugged. When they're plugged in, the sound and tone difference is the pickups. I don't notice any sustain or tone difference between them and I switch between them regularly. I've never thought, while playing them with the band, "Wow, you know, this 9 pound guitar doesn't sound nearly as good nor have as much sustain as the 11 pound guitar."

But, my shoulder and back sure ache a bit more with the 11 pound after 4 or 5 hours. There may be some kind of science to it but I'm going to guess that most people wouldn't know the difference nor be able to tell.

Then again, the people who say there's a difference are probably the same people who say that the recent year Les Pauls and their quality sucks. My guitars sure didn't get that memo. If I have time this weekend, I might test it and see if I notice a difference but I sure don't notice it when playing them. The Tribute seems to have a little more sustain, a little brighter and a little louder sound while unplugged.

This is about the nearest I have.. Nothing scientific at all about it, I just did it as I was interested to see how much difference I could tell in a side by side test.

The Classic is 9 hole and is about 11lbs, the Standard is chambered but like 9lbs, the tribute is also chambered but more like 7lbs.. Doesn't matter what the DC is as its so different in construction anyway :)

Archived