Gibson Brands Forums

Which Capo to buy

eeh1

I personally am a fan of the Shubb. It fits all three of my guitars and doesn't make it go sharp or flat. My Kyser is the one gathering dust except when my daughter uses it on her electric guitar. I also have a cut Shubb that just covers the A, D and G strings which is really fun to play with when you capo on the 2nd fret in standard tuning.

S1 is a proven design that has been improved but never bested in what, 30 years?

The G7 is new, gimmicky, expensive (you can get two shubbs for the price of one G7 and still have cash left for a coffee) and there is no indication the G7 holds the strings any better than the S1.

For me, the choice is obvious. Shubb.

Dunlop Victor is a must-audition capo. I love them, and in 16yrs of playing, it's the only capo I've found that makes my guitar sound BETTER.

My last one broke after 5 years or so of heavy use, and I replaced it with a G7th. Good, but not as good as the Victor.

S1 is a proven design that has been improved but never bested in what' date=' 30 years?

The G7 is new, gimmicky, expensive (you can get two shubbs for the price of one G7 and still have cash left for a coffee) and there is no indication the G7 holds the strings any better than the S1.

For me, the choice is obvious. Shubb.[/quote']

Since I have an S1 (great capo) but use the G7th exclusively, for me, the G7th is superior. I can hang it on the headstock (no it doesn't leave a mark), I can use it one handed, I adjust the pressure with one hand and release it with one hand. Because you only put as much pressure as you need, it doesn't detune the strings. The G7th also has a lower profile over the B and E strings (great for the B7 chord - they should have called it the B7th!).

Since I only play one guitar at a time, I would rather have one G7th than two S1's. :-&

The next capo I buy will be one that fits in my pocket and can be smoothly retrieved. I own two Kysers, because that's all the local guit tar shop had. They work perfectly, but the levers preclude me from being able to remove it from my pocket without using two hands or doing a monkey dance. A custom made holster is on the drawing board. G7 fills the bill, but is quite spendy in my opinion.

I'd prefer not to have to screw the capo into position. G7 fills the bill but is quite spendy, in my opinion.

The Planet Waves NS, while a screw on, fits the pocket nicely. And is less than half the cost of a G7.

The Dunlop Johnny Cash model is nearly identical to the above Planet Waves for not much more than the PW. And... it has Johnny's name on it. That in and of itself is worth the $5.00 premium over the PW.... imNSho.

I used to park my un-used capo on my head stock until I had a co-jammer nearly have his glasses taken off by it as he came in the kitchen door, between me, the mandoliner and the potato salad. Therefore, I now park it in my pocket.

If money were no object, G7.

If money is an object, which it is for me, Planet Waves NS.

If Johnny's the man... which he is. :D/ Dunlop JC.

I wonder what MF would give me for two nearly new Kysers in trade? :-k

I like both the shubb, & the G7th, the one I returned was the "Nashville" G7th. I actually, like the G7th a lot. I don't think it's any better than a Shubb, but it's a little easier to use. Is it worth the Extra money? Probably not!! I love buying, & trying new gadgets. Probably won't buy another, but it is pretty cool!! (I have to buy something, after all I can't afford a whole guitar, so I just buy parts.)

The g7th doesn't work well for me- buzzes, or deadens sound.

The Planet Waves NS is nice but the rubber is too soft and it deadens sound- and the tension screw can easily fall out and disappear.

The Dunlop Victors work very well for me- flat or curved/radiused, I like'em.

I used Paige capos for years with good results but recently I notice either lossof sound when using them, or a lot of retuning needed whn tight enough.

For now I'm happiest with the Victor.

I liked Shubbs too, but somehow lost 3 of them and haven't bought another.

Dunlop Victor is a must-audition capo. I love them' date=' and in 16yrs of playing, it's the only capo I've found that makes my guitar sound BETTER.

My last one broke after 5 years or so of heavy use, and I replaced it with a G7th. Good, but not as good as the Victor.[/quote']

I agree with Jinder and jgwoods. My Victor sounds better on my guitars, as if there is a more solid connection, or less dampening of the string's energy.

Dave in SLC

OK, I'm going to try a Dunlop Victor. Truth is I hardly ever use a capo, but every once in a while they are just the ticket. Like when I already have a nice arrangement for my voice but a bit higher key works for my sister, etc. When you are using one, you want a good one.

On a side note, I would never hang a capo off a headstock.

Good call on the Victor...my two bandmates were so enamoured by mine when we started playing together that they both went out and bought one each!

I own two Planet Waves NS capos, and they are okay, but a flawed design. It can be downright embarrassing onstage if the tension screw falls out and you have to go looking for it...not very pro! I find there's too much rubber on the bar, too. It's hard to get a positive connection, and the whole thing feels a bit sloppy, to me anyway.

G7th is okay, not bad but why complicate a matter that the Victor makes so simple.

Dan Crary Guitar Capo

The design of this capo looks the same as a century of crossbar-type screw-tightened brass capos, but it's not. This capo comes directly out of Dan Crary's using, thinking about, and occasionally cussing at capos. It is designed to be different in about seven or eight ways, avoid some of the problems these strange but useful little tools create, and most of all, to make your guitar sound better than ever.

Solid brass

Fine-tune adjustable

Holds tight with less tension

Distorts tuning less

Avoids capo-pressure neck damage

Archived