Gibson Brands Forums

WD40 ON pickup pups

Sin

I dont think a very careful application of WD40 on the nut slots will hurt your guitar (but bear in mind that WD 40 is NOT designed as a lubricant, contrary to popular belief) But I cant see any reason to WANT to spray it on your pups, pulpy or otherwise.

While WD40 has many good uses, I would never use it on a guitar.

Most people think it's just a light oil, but it actually contains solvents, and that's what does the damage to components and finish.

my intent was to remove rust from the ( I guess they are called pups,pulps , I really dont know)screws that go through the pickups , but thanks , should I just change the old screws for new ones then?

Most people think it's just a light oil' date=' but it actually contains solvents, and that's what does the damage to components and finish.[/quote']

Show me components and finish that have been damaged by WD 40.

Yes, it's main constituent is a solvent called naptha, with a small amount of light oil.

The popular Fast Fret string and fretboard cleaner is also naptha with a small amount of light oil...

I recently suggested that someone could rub a cotton cloth that had been sprayed with a small amount of WD 40 across the nut slots to help tuning problems. I've done this for years, it works.

Another thread about WD 40 / guitars. http://www.tdpri.com/forum/bad-dog-cafe/114813-wd-40-your-strings.html

Anyone frightened of a little mineral oil on their fretboard should read this. Engine oil is better than lemon oil (which rots the wood). http://www.guitar.com/forums/gear_talk/topic/lemon_oil

You say "tomato", I say "tomatoe"........let's call the whole thing off! Geez. He said, she said, they said........where is the truth in all this guitar stuff?!? No WD40, no lemon oil, not this but that......no, it's okay to use that here, but not there.....

We're all freakin' crazy!!!

my intent was to remove rust from the ( I guess they are called pups' date='pulps , I really dont know)screws that go through the pickups , but thanks , should I just change the old screws for new ones then?[/quote']

Yeah WD40 is not a rust remover. It will free up rusted parts but the rust will still be there. New screws, that's the ticket -

Pups is what you were thinking. Short for PickUPs

Yeah WD40 is not a rust remover. It will free up rusted parts but the rust will still be there. New screws' date=' that's the ticket -

Pups is what you were thinking. Short for PickUPs[/quote']

thanks for the info and the correction , thanks everyone .]

If it´s good for guns, it´s got to be good for guitars!

But honestly, I wouldn´t spray it somewhere inside my guitar. Because the oil might get soaked in by the wood and you will see this. Even if it doesn´t do any other harm. I used to oil the tuning machines on my acoustic guitar a few years ago. I didn´t even use much oil + I put it exactly into the hole on the back of the tuner. But the wood is still stained from the oil. You don´t see much, but you clearly see dark stains on the maple, underneath the lacquer. I wouldn´t do that again. I´d rather change the tuning machine if it will ever get damaged without oil.

So I´d say if you don´t like the rust on the screws, get new ones.

In every other point I agree with 80LPC. WD40 is very useful stuff but don´t SPRAY it anywhere on a guitar. Use a soft cloth to apply it and try whether it´ll do the job you want it to do.

Greetings

Kurt

Take the screws out and polish them. Or, if you are too lazy or incompetent to do either, replace them.

I don't care what any article or individual says, do not put WD40 on your guitar. The finish on your guitar was not meant to have any type of oil applied to it, unless it is a bare wood oil stained finish, and even then, WD40 is more solvent than oil, so it will basically strip the finish.

On a glossy finish, oils will penetrate through tiny cracks and ruin the finish. If you don't believe that, look at any guitar that was treated with Liquid Gold. It will look like a road map. Seen it first hand, and it ain't pretty.

Lemon oil does not rot your fretboard either. I don't know where people get that kind of rubbish.

WD 40 has, as its base component................................ fish oil. It is primarily designed as a water dispersant (Hence the WD in the title).

For lubricating bits on a guitar I would recommend a very light application of a graphite based product. You can even find pure graphite powder which will contain no slovents, greases or waxes at all. For cleaning rust off your screws I suggest polishing carefully with a small amount of chrome or silver polish. Where possible, dissasemble first, polish the part and ensure you remove all polish residue before reassembly. What I dont know is if it is safe to remove the screws from your pups or if that will cause damage to the pup.

Im not saying WD40 or any other solvent or oil will neccesarily damage your guitar but why risk it? Dont forget damage may be long term rather than immediately visible.

By screws I assume you mean the screw headed pole pieces. Mounting screws are, of course, safe to remove and reinstall as long as you do not overtighten and strip the wood.

exactly what I am uncertain of Geff , if i remove them will my pickups still work when I put them back, pondering at this and staring at the guitar...just broke a E string its a good time to check the around the stop bar string thing and cleaning the screws.

WD40 is more solvent than oil' date=' so it will basically strip the finish.[/quote']

WD40 is 67% solvent by weight. The solvent is naptha. It doesn't strip the finish. Ask AXE, or alternatively type naptha into the search engine on this forum.

Lemon oil does not rot your fretboard either. I don't know where people get that kind of rubbish.

Organic compounds applied to the fretboard decompose over time' date=' and cause damage. It will depend on the strength of the oil, frequency of application and time. Bear in mind that Martin do not recommend lemon oil because it can affect nitro-cellulose...

WD40 is...................fish oil.

Sorry, it's a myth. Here's the safety data sheet for WD40.

http://www.wd40.co.uk/media/adobe/WD40%20bulk%20liquid%20datasheet.pdf

There is quite a discrepancy between my original recommendation of wiping a nut with a cloth moistened with a little WD40, and spraying the finish of a guitar. When I work on guitars that are used night after night on stage, and caked in sweat and gunk, I strip out the components, use a small amount of WD40 as a cleaner/lubricant on the mechanical parts - always using the straw, as spraying is wasteful. The parts slot together smoothly, and have some protection against corrosion.

I don't use it on crackly pots / switches. As Kurt mentions, it can be drawn by capilliary action into unsealed areas, and affect the finish. This is true of many 'correct' oils and polishes used on guitars.

exactly what I am uncertain of Geff ' date=' if i remove them will my pickups still work when I put them back, pondering at this and staring at the guitar...just broke a E string its a good time to check the around the stop bar string thing and cleaning the screws.[/quote']

Carefully remove one polepiece screw from the pickup. Clean off the corrosion. Replace the screw, then move onto the next one etc..

Sorry' date=' it's a myth. Here's the safety data sheet for WD40.

http://www.wd40.co.uk/media/adobe/WD40%20bulk%20liquid%20datasheet.pdf

[/quote']

Thank you for that 80LPC. There are numerous references to it being harmless and based on fish oil out on the net and, quite clearly from your link they are not just untrue but potentially dangerous. I will do my best to ensure that people I know, lots of whom believe the "myth", as did I, are made aware.

Archived