Gibson Brands Forums

L20 reissue !!!??? Serial No.92913026

sweeperUK

Anyone else out there with an L-20? I vaguely remember some info being posted last year but can't track it down now.

Mine was made in 1993 and label says 'Style AT', which, according to the Blue Book means Antique Walnut back/sides.

I don't remember Walnut as being quoted as one of the possible options - so a bit of a mystery. Also, no pickguard on this one. The Blue Book lists an L-20 Special but this is nothing like that.

I don't know much about Walnut. How is it rated as a tone-wood? How rare is it? Where does it come from?

The guitar looks as if it's been pulled from a ship-wreck so maybe the original owner isn't around any longer to throw any light on this. Still plays and sounds like a dream, though.

They were called the L-20 special, but does not say so on the label. Here is the reissue version:

Ā 

http://www.music123.com/Gibson-L-20-20th-Anniversary-Acoustic-Guitar-589711-i1470951.Music123?source=ZWWRWXGB

Ā 

Some pics and history:

Ā 

L-20poster.jpg

IMGP0069.jpg

L-20Front.jpg

Ā 

GIBSON L20 HISTORY

Ā 

Compiled by

Ā 

Carl Darnell

Ā 

In 1992 Eldon Whitford visited Gibson at Bozeman Mt. to tour the factory and in conversation suggested they build a guitar based on the Nick Lucas Special with 12 frets to the body. Read Gibsonā€™s Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars for Eldonā€™s story about the L20. The factory had already started the L20 project a little fancier and somewhat different than Eldonā€™s idea.

Ā 

The prototype L20 was built in the Custom Shop by Ren Ferguson and his crew and sent to the 1993 January NAMM guitar show. Ren said that the 12 fret to body did not sell well and only 20 or 30 of them were made. The rest of the L20ā€™s are 14 fret to the body.

Ā 

I have not been able to find out why the catalog lists them as L20 Special but the labels inside the 4 L20ā€™s I have found say L20.

Ā 

The L20ā€™s were built in 1993 and discontinued in early 1994. As far as can be determined the production totals are as follows:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1993 1994

Ā 

72 Antique Natural 3 Antique Natural

Ā 

5 Vintage Sunburst 3 Vintage Sunburst

Ā 

24 Koa International Special 6 Koa International Special

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Bill Gonder said that 2 or 3 L20ā€™s were built of Brazilian Rosewood back and sides. The remainder were Indian Rosewood and Koa. The Koa L20ā€™s were built by special order for the Asian market.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I know of :

Ā 

4 - L20 Antique Natural 12 fret Indian Rosewood

Ā 

1 - L20 Vintage Sunburst 12 fret Koa

Ā 

1 - L20 Antique Natural 12 fret Koa

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

My L20 is an Antique Natural Indian Rosewood and was signed on the inside of the top by James Wright on 3/9/93. At that time he worked in production and later worked in the Custom Shop.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The dimensions of the L20 are;

Ā 

Body length--19-1/8ā€ Depth at neck--4-1/4ā€ Upper bout width--10-1/8ā€ Waist--8-3/8ā€

Ā 

Lower bout width--14-3/4ā€ Depth at end pin--4-3/4ā€ Sound hole--4ā€ Scale--24-3/4 Weight--5 pounds

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The above information was collected from Walter Carter, Bill Gonder, Ren Ferguson, Stan Werbin and Eldon Whitford. I want to thank them for all the help they gave in finding out more about my L20 which I have named Marcie. It is a beautiful name for a beautiful guitar with a beautiful voice as well.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Follow up email:

Acutally Walter Carter gave me the production data and both Ren and Bill told me that not more than 20 to 30 L20 were 12 fret. The Koa's were sent overseas and some came back or were never sent. Gibson don't always know what they have made or when. They are always making one off guitars in the Custom shop and selling them through their Gibson Gold dealer program. Both Ren and Bill said they discontinued the L20 for the centennial model in 1994. I suspect it would have been discontinued anyway because of slow sales. As much as I like the tone of the L20 is is overweight and low on volume. If Gibson would have built them light, which isĀ not what they do, it would have been a killer guitar and sold well.Ā It does have very good sustain and vibrates freely. I suspect they quit making the 12 fret and sent most of the rest of the produdction overseas. Stan Werbin said some of them had wolf tones so they may have gotten bad PR from that.Ā There may only be 50 or so L20's in the States.

Thanks Dennis and onewilyfool. I've ordered the Gibson's Fabulous Flat-Top book which apparently has all the info on the L20.

Not sure why anyone would want to give rosewood a walnut stain - perhaps the 'AT' doesn't mean walnut in this case, or have I misunderstood what you said?

Thanks for that wealth of information, onewilyfool - the guitar doesn't seem to be that highly rated but mine certainly has exceptional tone and playability and I wouldn't part with it, so there you go.

Cheers. John.

Well, I am finally the proud owner of an L-20! I have been a 12 fret lover for some time and currently also have an Epiphone Bluesmaster. The L-20 came up on my radar a few years ago and kind of stuck in my head. I saw Carla Bruni on Later With Jools Holland and her guitar player was playing one. Somehow, that kicked off the GAS and I tracked down the only one available at Grinning Elk Music. After a few sleepless nights..haha, I finally ordered it. It's my first Gibson! I have probably owned everything else, Martin, Guild, Larrivee, Collings, Epiphone, Wren, Laskin...you get the idea. I love this thing! Probably my last acoustic guitar!

Pics will come soon.

I would be interested in actively putting an L-20 discussion group up.

Cheers.

They were called the L-20 special' date=' but does not say so on the label. Here is the reissue version:

Ā 

http://www.music123.com/Gibson-L-20-20th-Anniversary-Acoustic-Guitar-589711-i1470951.Music123?source=ZWWRWXGB

Ā 

Some pics and history:

Ā 

[img']http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/onewilyfool/L-20/L-20poster.jpg[/img]

IMGP0069.jpg

L-20Front.jpg

Ā 

GIBSON L20 HISTORY

Ā 

Compiled by

Ā 

Carl Darnell

Ā 

In 1992 Eldon Whitford visited Gibson at Bozeman Mt. to tour the factory and in conversation suggested they build a guitar based on the Nick Lucas Special with 12 frets to the body. Read Gibsonā€™s Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars for Eldonā€™s story about the L20. The factory had already started the L20 project a little fancier and somewhat different than Eldonā€™s idea.

Ā 

The prototype L20 was built in the Custom Shop by Ren Ferguson and his crew and sent to the 1993 January NAMM guitar show. Ren said that the 12 fret to body did not sell well and only 20 or 30 of them were made. The rest of the L20ā€™s are 14 fret to the body.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I have not been able to find out why the catalog lists them as L20 Special but the labels inside the 4 L20ā€™s I have found say L20.

Ā 

The L20ā€™s were built in 1993 and discontinued in early 1994. As far as can be determined the production totals are as follows:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1993 1994

Ā 

72 Antique Natural 3 Antique Natural

Ā 

5 Vintage Sunburst 3 Vintage Sunburst

Ā 

24 Koa International Special 6 Koa International Special

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Bill Gonder said that 2 or 3 L20ā€™s were built of Brazilian Rosewood back and sides. The remainder were Indian Rosewood and Koa. The Koa L20ā€™s were built by special order for the Asian market.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I know of :

Ā 

4 - L20 Antique Natural 12 fret Indian Rosewood

Ā 

1 - L20 Vintage Sunburst 12 fret Koa

Ā 

1 - L20 Antique Natural 12 fret Koa

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

My L20 is an Antique Natural Indian Rosewood and was signed on the inside of the top by James Wright on 3/9/93. At that time he worked in production and later worked in the Custom Shop.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The dimensions of the L20 are;

Ā 

Body length--19-1/8ā€ Depth at neck--4-1/4ā€ Upper bout width--10-1/8ā€ Waist--8-3/8ā€

Ā 

Lower bout width--14-3/4ā€ Depth at end pin--4-3/4ā€ Sound hole--4ā€ Scale--24-3/4 Weight--5 pounds

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The above information was collected from Walter Carter, Bill Gonder, Ren Ferguson, Stan Werbin and Eldon Whitford. I want to thank them for all the help they gave in finding out more about my L20 which I have named Marcie. It is a beautiful name for a beautiful guitar with a beautiful voice as well.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Follow up email:

Acutally Walter Carter gave me the production data and both Ren and Bill told me that not more than 20 to 30 L20 were 12 fret. The Koa's were sent overseas and some came back or were never sent. Gibson don't always know what they have made or when. They are always making one off guitars in the Custom shop and selling them through their Gibson Gold dealer program. Both Ren and Bill said they discontinued the L20 for the centennial model in 1994. I suspect it would have been discontinued anyway because of slow sales. As much as I like the tone of the L20 is is overweight and low on volume. If Gibson would have built them light, which isĀ not what they do, it would have been a killer guitar and sold well.Ā It does have very good sustain and vibrates freely. I suspect they quit making the 12 fret and sent most of the rest of the produdction overseas. Stan Werbin said some of them had wolf tones so they may have gotten bad PR from that.Ā There may only be 50 or so L20's in the States.

Ā 

Ā 

OWF

Ā 

sometimes I HATE you!!!!

Ā 

have just virtually decided to lash out on a J200 and you post these pics!

Ā 

What a great box

• 10 years later...
2 hours ago, Gordon Wilson said:

I have recently obtained a Gibson L20, style AT. Number 92913036. I would be interested to hear from you about its history, and worth for insuranceĀ  purposes. By the way------

I love it! I look forward to hearing from you

With kind regards. Gordon.

Ā 

Ā 

You are not going to find a more detailed history than that which appears in the old post to the pointĀ  the several reasons Gibson pulled the plug on the L20 are included. Ā  Not going to find a better source than Ren Ferguson.Ā  Ā As to insurance value you might check sold listings on Reverb or eBay is you can find any.Ā  Ā George Gruhn will also do a long distance appraisal.

Edited by zombywoof

• 1 year later...

Was offered in a trade deal one of the newer "L-20 parlor" 12 frets made in 2014 in return for my J-45 EC Standard and some cash. It sounds like an awesome deal, since the guitar looks near mint and I've been looking for a 12 fret exclusively for finger picking. So in a couple of days I will take a long train ride, try it out and hopefully do the tradeĀ šŸ¤©

Does anyone have first hand experience with these newer "L-20 Parlor" from 2014, versus the older Rosewood back'n'sides 12 fret "L-20 Special"?

After reading on this thread about them being rather heavy and quiet, I wonder if Gibson changed anything to address those "issues", or just tried to stay true to it's origins.

Also wondering how it would compare to a Keb' Mo' Bluesmaster or a good ol' L-00...Ā