Gibson Brands Forums

Fuzz

Californiaman

So in my latest quest at enlightening myself on the many different effects pedals available to guitarists I began looking into the world of FUZZ. That's right, that tone that so many of our guitar heros have tapped into since the '60s.

There are two types of fuzz pedals on the market: Germanium and Silicon transistor based circuits, many of the circuits are either true to the original design or slight variations. It seems the main thing though is those transistors.

I've heard the Big Muff PI is a great pedal and the Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzzface is also a worthy contender, but in the demos I've seen, they are two completely different sounds.

Since my favorite local shop has only a limited selection of fuzz pedals available for me to demo, I turn to you and ask, "What fuzz box are you currently using? What do you recommend I try."

I do like the Fulltone '69 vs the '70. You can here the difference in this demo I found online.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I use an old Mosrite Fuzzrite. It's Ge so it's right up there with a psychedelic experience or jet plane landing on your house. It has one sweet spot, but that is all you need.

If you want something more modern, reliable, and with a potpourri of different sounds, I highly recommend checking out a Yardbox. It is also Ge. You can dial in everything from gritting fuzz to creamy walls of sound. The pedal is very articulate and responds well. Craftsmanship is solid. This is a hand build beauty. The only oddity is that half the knobs work clockwise and the other half work counter clockwise. Not sure why. This pedal is what I used for most of my time with my last band. That fuzz went all over the Midwest and never failed to deliver the goods.

I recently switched back to the Fuzzrite because I found a cat in Chicago that fixes old stomp boxes (nothing like the original thing, right?). Could switch back to the Yardbox with no problem.

If you want the best of both worlds I have heard that the Sybil fuzz by Retroman is pretty nice. It has both Ge and Si chips and you can blend them as you see fit. Something I would consider if I liked Si fuzz.

I used to use what seems to have become the "Holy Grail" of fuzz boxes. The original "Ram's Head" Big Muff PI. It's the first and only fuzz box I ever owned or needed.

2890016554_b33014b589_o.jpg

It's been safe packed away for years now, for I no longer use any outboard pedals or effects. I would be willing to part with it for an exorbanant amount of money.

I am sure there are Germanium transistors stored away somewhere Eastern Europe.

I am building a Fuzz using silicon transistors, especifically BC109c, I am almost finished but there is a ground loop I cannot find for the life of me.

Recently I picked up a local magazine and read an article of a 7-year old boy, that builds Fuzz pedals.

I don't feel so smart, in my defense I am not using a kit to build the pedal. I am using 3 different schematics because I am building it with Negative ground, true bypass and LED.

Oh, yea the true bypass works great.

Today I tried the Homebrew Electronics UFO Fuzz Octave pedal at one of the local shops.

It was nice. It had the octave button and a vintage/modern switch, along with the standard "Fuzz," "Tone," and "Level" controls. The vintage switch was richer and darker as opposed to the modern which was brighter and tighter. The guy at the shop couldn't answer any of the technical questions so I contacted the company who are in Arizona.

Here's what they said about their pedal:

All of our pedals our true bypass and made in the USA. The UFO is a silicone/germanium hybrid. It runs on a standard 9 volt battery or 9VDC, negative center supply.

I'd give it a thumbs-up for a review.

I too am a fan of the Big Muff Pi.

I get the fattest Black Sabbath tone ever. It's ridiculous sounding.

It's also useful for a lot of other styles.

It's not very versatile. But if you play with the volume & sustain knobs a lot you find that it's not so bad.

I'd like to check out some other fuzz pedals also though. Those Fulltone pedals are certainly interesting looking.

I don't know if my pedalboard can handle the sexuality of pedals called a "Big Muff" and "69"..

The '69 is germanium and the '70 is silicon.

That is the difference.

True' date=' but Rich is right that the settings were not "equal". Also the transistors may not the only difference, a simple resistor value can alter how a pedal sounds.

I actually like both! a lot.

I am still hung up on the Tommy Bolin Fuzz, must....resist....GAS...

[YOUTUBE']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP9vPYnLbcI[/YOUTUBE]

Fuzz factory from ZVEX with the muff in second place.

Man' date=' totally forgot about the Fuzz Factory by ZVEX. A lot of my favorite guitar players use this, including Nels Cline and Stephen Malkmus. Probably my favorite fuzz sound. Would love to own one someday, although the obscene amount of knobs makes me hesitant.

[img']http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~xianminz/fuzz_factory_big.jpg[/img]

Going to stick my neck out here and say that I am not a fan of the Big Muff, especially the huge army green ones that everyone had in the mid 90s (see photo below).

SovtekGreenMuff.jpg

Archived