Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-330 from way back

SamWhips

I recently inherited my dad's old ES-330. It has no visible serial number and was bought in a pawn shop back around 1961-63. I recently got it fixed up so it was playable. It needed a new output but I kept everything original (original p-90's, kluson deluxe tuning pegs) but this brings me to my issue. I kept the original bridge and one of the screws keeping the saddle in place is angled slightly upward, giving my high e string a really bad buzz. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks yall!

Hi SamW

Are you saying that the saddle under your high E string is angle upwards? That is, the screw adjuster for the saddle intonation is raised?

You might want to flip the bridge around and have the screw heads facing the other way...you will have to switch the saddles around on the bridge as well as on the adjusting screw. This only works if the string groove on the saddles are right in the middle of the saddles.

Or there use to be a thin spring that kept all the screw heads from poping up and the end of the spring hooks inside two tiny holes on the side of the bridge. You might try fashioning one out of a thin piano wire or maybe GC might sell them. Most of the guys remove this spring and sometimes cause a buzz. If there is a buzz, then take a screw driver and place it between each of the saddle directly on the spring...give it a tap to give the spring a little kink like a "V". Do the inbetween all the saddle screws. Usually cures the spring buzz.

good luck..

Sam,

Great guitar! Keep it as original as possible to retain it's value and save all replaced parts. Your guitar is an ES 330 TD, not TB. TD stands for thinline, double pickup. If yours does not have a serial number stamped into the back of the headstock, there should be a FON (factory order number) stamped on the back inside one of the f holes. Get a flashlight and look around in there for it. The first digit will be a letter that will tell the year. Here is a list of the letters and years.

1959 - S

1960 - R

1961 - Q

Let us know if you find the FON and what year yours is. I have a 1960 ES 330 TDN. N stands for natural finish, C stands for cherry, no letter for sunburst.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the whole guitar and the only thing printed (or stamped) on it is "GIBSON" on the head and ES-330TB on the inside. I was told it was TB for tobacco burst. Other than that, there is nothing printed on the guitar at all. Back on topic, I kind of rigged the spring so that it wouldn't buzz all the time, but after about 30 minutes of playing, the buzzing comes back. I'll probably take it in to someone that actually knows what they're doing :-$ Maybe he/she can help me figure out what year it is. Thanks for all the replies y'all!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I was watching the "Gibson Interactive Bible" (or whatever) DVD and I think I'm in love with the 330. This is definitely one to hang onto.

Yeah I really like it. I got it hooked up just right now. I took it to this old school dude who used a little bit of glue (its a special glue that will not damage the bridge, don't worry) to hold the screws in place and to keep the saddles from buzzing. So far its been working great!

Archived