Gibson Brands Forums

how much flex in your g400 neck??

evol04gt

playing the g400 a lot lately and noticed something i cant STAND!!! the neck bends so freaking easily it makes me sick... is this because the wood isnt properly dried in the newer epis? will it stiffen up in time??

when im playing on the couch and adjust the guitar a little with my fretting hand, there is a huge amount of detune. are gibson sg s the same way?

any way to make this better? prob not... its fun at times, but when i move a little bit, i cant stand the slack or tension on the strings..

i was playing the other night and had a really sweet chorus sound going when my leg was shaking while sitting down.. but anyways... post away yall!

Mine (2007 EE) does this too to an extent, I think that it's inherent in the design,and I believe that some of the Gibsons do this too. If I move my neck hand,while holding on tight,say to shift the neck heavy guitar back up on my shoulder,I get a bit of a trem effect. Not really bad. Just annoying.Some players use this to an advantage, I remember seeing Jake E Lee 'bend' the neck on his old LP Jr double cut when he was playing for ozzy to get trem effects.

G'day,

I've got a "DW" G400 and despite all the bad press (sorry Spud) I can't fault it. I certainly am not aware of the neck flexing or bending when I play it.

Great guitar!

Dig

Gibsons do this too...I have played a few at guitar center and notice if i just slightly move the neck the pitch varies noticibly...

my g400 does this but when I release the neck it goes back to proper pitch without having to re-tune...

Gibsons do this too...I have played a few at guitar center and notice if i just slightly move the neck the pitch varies noticibly...

my g400 does this but when I release the neck it goes back to proper pitch without having to re-tune...

Yeppers. I have a '61 Gibson and a '62 Gibson Reissue (Standards) and they both have flex to the neck and it can be annoying and it does take a special touch. The flex is the nature of that beast and why they changed the design in 1964.

...why they changed the design in 1964.

1966. 1967 for the Specials. And not so much because of flexing as because of necks snapping off. The later design SGs flex also; I have a '78 and you can get pretty good bends by pulling on the headstock.

1966. 1967 for the Specials. And not so much because of flexing as because of necks snapping off. The later design SGs flex also; I have a '78 and you can get pretty good bends by pulling on the headstock.

1963 SG Std specs:

"Patent Number" humbucking pickups, Maestro vibrato with lyre and logo on coverplate (but occassionally the sideways vibrato is still seen on a few 1963 Gibson SG Standard models). "Les Paul" is now removed from the truss rod cover and model officially known as the "SG Standard", neck shape get slightly larger. Neck tenon size is increased, so the necks on 1963 and later SGs are more stable. 1963 to 1964 SG Standards (without the sideways vibrato, and slightly larger, more stable necks) are the best of the SG Standards.

1965 SG Std specs:

Chrome parts instead of nickel, pickguard now surrounds the pickups thus eliminating the need for separate pickup surrounds. Peghead angle changes from 17 degrees to 14 degrees, nut width narrows from 1 11/16" to 1 9/16" or 1 5/8". 1965 models can have any one or all of those changes (they didn't happen all at once during 1965).

Yeppers. I have a '61 Gibson and a '62 Gibson Reissue (Standards) and they both have flex to the neck and it can be annoying and it does take a special touch. The flex is the nature of that beast and why they changed the design in 1964.

Exactly. My '61 flexes a lot. The latest issue of Premier Guitar has an interview with Leslie West and they ask him about the Les Paul Juniors he used back in the Mountain days. He said he tried a double-cut model and gave up on it because the moved around too much for his tastes.

1963 SG Std specs:

"Patent Number" humbucking pickups' date=' Maestro vibrato with lyre and logo on coverplate (but occassionally the sideways vibrato is still seen on a few 1963 Gibson SG Standard models). "Les Paul" is now removed from the truss rod cover and model officially known as the "SG Standard", neck shape get slightly larger. Neck tenon size is increased, so the necks on 1963 and later SGs are more stable. 1963 to 1964 SG Standards (without the sideways vibrato, and slightly larger, more stable necks) are the best of the SG Standards.

1965 SG Std specs:

Chrome parts instead of nickel, pickguard now surrounds the pickups thus eliminating the need for separate pickup surrounds. Peghead angle changes from 17 degrees to 14 degrees, nut width narrows from 1 11/16" to 1 9/16" or 1 5/8". 1965 models can have any one or all of those changes (they didn't happen all at once during 1965). [/quote']

That's as may be, but nonetheless the only real change came in 1966 when they redesigned the body so that the neck joins underneath the 19th fret instead of underneath the 22nd. The changes in 1963 and 1965 were minor in comparison. And the pickquard definitely didn't change until 1966 (did you LOOK at Stan's '65 SG?); and the SG Specials still had the old pickguard until 1967. I think your source is in error.

Archived