Gibson Brands Forums

Am I the only one who Cleans/Polishes my Guitars with Chamois("Shammy")?

animalfarm

A couple of months ago I went to one of my local music stores looking for guitar polish

and micro-fiber cloth. Talked with one of the employees who said " You CAN use microfiber,

but even IT will leave scratches/swirls." Said HE used Chamois, explained why. So,

I left the store WITHOUT microfiber and polish, bought small REAL LEATHER soft

chamois at autoparts store. Been using it ever since, have one in each git case, Works

on hi-gloss and satin finish, just sucks up the fingerprint oil/smudges, leaves shine. For

harder streaks, just spread a little amount of water, use chamois, leaves SHINE! NO

scratches. Who "wudda" thought?

100_0587.jpg

Actually lambskin.

Not sure if it WAS lambskin, just bought the off the rack SOFT, REAL "LEATHER",

2.5 sq. ft. CHAMOIS. The kind you get at autozone, o'rielly's, etc. Same kind as for car.

REAL leather, not fake! I wipe my guitars off with 'em constantly, strings, too,

and have YET to see any evidence of "damage" to the finish.

Viewpoints regarding a country's internal politics and/or

agreement/disagreement with said politics have no place in a

guitar forum. The GIBSON forum has already proven that.

A simple question was asked in order to gain insight as to

other's methods of care for their musical instruments. By attempting

to intoduce politics into the commentary, you create the possibility

that my quest for knowledge will turn into an "untouchable" thread.

Other than that, wassup? Back to the original question, plz...

Chamois are strictly protected animals under the European Habitats Directive.[1]

In the USA the term chamois without any qualification is restricted to the flesh split of the sheep or lambskin tanned solely with oils. (US Federal Standard CS99-1970[2]). wiki

I'm a New Zealander; 50 million sheep' date=' 4 million people. That's 12 girlfriends for each bloke. We [i']know[/i] sheep. Also the only country to have introduced chamois, either shot & mounted by sports hunters or massacred from helicopters & left to rot by the eco-nazi Dept of Conversation.

I tried some imitation leather (plastic) shoes once... Made my feet sweat... Sorry, animals, leather is better.

The right kind of microfiber isn't so bad. There are some "microfiber" cloths that are not up to the task. I've bought some of those at the bargain stores. Wouldn't use them on my guitar, especially the ones that are stitched on the edge.

I'll have to make a trip to the auto parts store...

I'm a New Zealander; 50 million sheep' date=' 4 million people. That's 12 girlfriends for each bloke. We [i']know[/i] sheep.

As I was reading, I'm thinking, well as long as he's joking about it:

You no what they say, New Zealand, where men are men and sheep are scared.

Just a joke that I'm sure you've heard a million times.

Nope A.F., you aint the only one. All I use is my breath, which by the way would strip paint off a car, and my trusty chamois, made of real lambskin, not that fake sh1t you get at Wally World (Wal Mart). Does it for me every time, unless I spill my Diet Coke on it, then I break out Harris' "The Boston Creme" guitar polish to make it so frikkin' shiney, you could almost dive into the finish. And very occasionally, I use Gerlitz Guitar honey for my fretboard, with the same chamois, to condition the fretboard. After each use, I again use the chamois with some Dr. Stringlove cleaner, and clean the strings. I'm pretty anal about a clean guitar, they just...look better clean.

As I was reading' date=' I'm thinking, well as long as he's joking about it:

[/quote']

He wasn't joking, that's why Wales and New Zealand are the biggest importers of Wellington Boots - they stick the sheeps back legs into the top of the boots so they can't run away.

Archived