Gibson Brands Forums

What can you guys tell me about this '43 ft-79?

tvguit

Hello everyone this is my first post on the epiphone forum. I am going to look at this guitar in the next couple of days and I couldn't find as much information on it as I would like. Does the label look right? How about the general body shape? Maybe it just looks strange to me because it is a natural finish and not a burst. Also, I read somewhere that the truss rod adjustment is at the body end of the neck pre 1951 or so and then it switched to the peghead. This guitar is supposedly from 1943 so why is the nut at the peghead? Thank you very much for your help, John

Epift-79label.jpg

Epift-79.jpg

Epift-79headstock.jpg

O, you are right about no sleeves around the pegs. I didn't even see that good call. Now that I am looking at the truss rod it doesn't look like that is the nut end. Could that just be an exposed anchor for the truss rod? Also, does the finish look original to you guys? I was also thinking that I have not seen a natural top on a New York Epi FT-79, could anyone guess if that would make it more or less valuable? Thanks again, without you forum members I would just be stumbling around in the dark.

Lots of info out there and here is one page with a pic. http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=search#1|5

The one you are going to see is absolutely correct and there should have been sleeves, but that doesn't take away from the guitar

here's another picture and the truss rod cover is in the right place http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=search#5|5

And from the vintage Epiphone series. http://home.provide.net/~cfh/epiphon2.html#ft79

Hope this helps you out.Ship

Thank you for posting those links. The first two didn't work would you mind trying those again? I am really interested in looking at those. The home.provide.net page is a great page. I've seen that one but the only problem is that it doesn't have that much information on the year model I am looking at. I would love to see those first two links. Thanks!

Problem is the pre-1950 FT-79s are rare as hen's teeth - I have never even seen one for sale.

The guitar in the pics looks spot on for a '43 - including the truss rod adjustment at the nut (that would be Epiphone's Exclusive Adjustable Thrust Rod (yeah, thrust not truss). The guitar should have a walnut body and cherry neck. It came with a natural finished top. By the way, Epiphone stopped offering the guitar in 1944 do to manufacturing issues caused by the war and did not resume production of it until after.

The only thing I might do is research the label.

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies. That acoustic music site is great. I think everything looks right except for the bushings on the tuning posts. Does anyone know if those should be kluson's or not? Sorry, I am in Birmingham, Alabama, U.S.A. Thanks again for all the helpful replies, John

I don't have a clue on the tuners but would guess individual nickel Grover Sta-Tite butterbeans.

I would not sweat out the tuners. This is a flippin' rare guitar and chances are you will never run across another one.

And I miss the South (I lived in the southwest corner of Mississippi for alot of years).

Thanks again. I am 99% sure on this guitar. The finish just doesn't look old enough. Does anyone know of a good way to tell if it has been refinished or not? He mentioned that the back has a good bit of belt buckle scratches but didn't include a picture of them. Typical. But he also says none of the scratches are through the wood so I guess that is ok with me.

I thought the top looked awful good in the pics as well but it is pretty hard to tell much from a photograph.

You should see a ton of crazing and checking in the finish - even if the guitar has been stored away for alot of its life. Scratches, nicks and other light damage and play wear is to be expected. Don't let that kinda stuff put you off. Sometimes you will see the binding has shrunken a bit as well. What you do need to check carefully is the neck. If it is inky you will be looking at a neck reset. Again, it is not uncommon to find an old guitar that needs a neck reset and it should not be a deal breaker unless the neck is so badly twisted it would have to be replaced.

If the guitar is refinished you are probably looking at least a 30% decrease in value even if it was professionally done.

Although you can't tell much about the tuners without a photo of the back of the headstock, they may well be original. The FT-79 was not a top of the line guitar and would have had some cheaper appointments like plastic buttons.

Good Luck with it and let us know how you make out

I think he could lose a lot more if the top was re-finished then even 30% more like 50% but then it depends on the buyer if he is buying to play or to keep as a collector item and to be hoinest I would be very concerned that it may require other things like a neck re-set and zomby is on the button with the nickle gorvers the sleeves you should be able to find a set to re-place the missing ones, the one thing you didn't mention was how much he was asking for it, if you prefer to not mention the price could you PM me and let me know if he is close to fair market.ship

oh and the missing links just type in FT-79 in the search and you'll see a 43 on I believe the 3 or 4 page of searchs

I don't have a clue on the tuners but would guess individual nickel Grover Sta-Tite butterbeans.

I would not sweat out the tuners. This is a flippin' rare guitar and chances are you will never run across another one.

And I miss the South (I lived in the southwest corner of Mississippi for alot of years).

You miss the Southwest corner of Mississippi? Where?

Well guys the seller bailed on me. He is going with a guy in Los Angeles for a grand more than I would have payed. He says the guy will paypal him the money and then he will ship it. We will see.

I agree. I just wasn't willing to pay that much. I hope the guy doesn't get scammed. He probably won't, but you never know. I don't think it is that typical for someone in LA to be looking at the CL that I was looking at. Who knows, if it isn't a scam then at least it is going to someone who will really appreciate it as much or more than I would. Thanks for all your help guys.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I'm the fella who bought the FT-79. I'm a guitarist from Los Angeles with a huge passion for old Epiphone acoustics, and I knew what this was as soon as I saw it pop up in a national Craiglist search...thing is, I've only seen one other one in many years of searching, and that one is in a guitar book (Tony Bacon's History of the American Guitar).

So today I'm reporting that it is definitely all original with no repairs or modifications, it sounds and plays incredible (after shaving down the saddle a bit), and it is the only one I've ever seen like it outside of a book. Great score. Let me know if any of you know of other Wartime Epiphone Dreadnoughts...I'm happy to pay a premium for them!

post-25807-043698100 1285133179_thumb.jpg

Hi guys, I'm the fella who bought the FT-79. I'm a guitarist from Los Angeles with a huge passion for old Epiphone acoustics, and I knew what this was as soon as I saw it pop up in a national Craiglist search...thing is, I've only seen one other one in many years of searching, and that one is in a guitar book (Tony Bacon's History of the American Guitar).

So today I'm reporting that it is definitely all original with no repairs or modifications, it sounds and plays incredible (after shaving down the saddle a bit), and it is the only one I've ever seen like it outside of a book. Great score. Let me know if any of you know of other Wartime Epiphone Dreadnoughts...I'm happy to pay a premium for them!

post-25807-043698100 1285133179_thumb.jpg

Congrats man! While I was a little sad that I lost that cool Epiphone flat top, it needed to go to you anyway. I thought it looked like something special! I am glad you came to the forum because some guys were asking to put up pictures and more information on the guitar because there is only a little available. So welcome to the forum!

By the way, I ended up getting a good deal on two Gibson flat-tops ('36 and '53) so I wouldn't have been able to buy all three. Congrats again!

So today I'm reporting that it is definitely all original with no repairs or modifications, it sounds and plays incredible (after shaving down the saddle a bit), and it is the only one I've ever seen like it outside of a book.

Ahhh, the poor man's neck reset. Down in Mississippi I kept hearing about a guy who owned a pre-War FT-79 and FT-110 but I never seemed to be able to run into him. My FT-79 was made in the 1950s and has the different body style with a burst finish. Epi was still using that wood saddle though.

Great score and enjoy.

Archived