Gibson Brands Forums

Throbak SLE-101 Plus Limted Pickups

FennRx

The throbaks have landed.

And there is no comparison between the Sheptone Tributes and the Throbaks. I am a huge fan of WCR and I think the Throbaks edge them out. The neck pickup is nice and warm. It drives the clean channel on my Marshall well when turned up and cleans up great when rolled back. I still think that the WCR Crossroads is a better neck pickup, but not by much. As with the Sheptones, the Throbak neck doesn't seem as full sounding as the Crossroads. And the Crossroads is a bit cleaner to my ears. But overall the Throbak neck is great.

But the bridge is where it's at! This pickups sounds just how I want it to. It has a nice fat, round bottom end with just enough high end sizzle.....think Since I've Been Loving You. Every note rings perfectly and decays the way I want it to. I wasn't sure if I would like any bridge as much as the WCR Darkburst, but I stand corrected. I feel like a kid at Christmas I am so excited about the sound I am getting.

I don't know if the Throbaks are worth $150 more than most of the competitors, but they are the best pickups I have played to date and I do not regret the money I spent.

Anyone want to buy some Zhangbuckers or Sheptones? [lol]

as a followup note, my Throbaks are the MXV (maximum vintage) version of the SLE-101 Plus LTD pickups, which are not currently advertised. Apparently these are made with more vintage accurate parts. I have also learned that Jon (the winder) is almost out of the NOS enamel wire for those who might be on the fence. After my review, 2 members of MLP have placed their orders and 2 are seriously considering it.

I generally don't like posting clips of my playing because I am not very good, but here goes:

One clip is my R9 with the Throbaks. The other is my R8 with the WCRs. Unfortunately the conversion to mp3 compressed the tone a bit....but you can probably still tell which is which. Both are damn fine sounding sets of pickups. While I like the Throbaks more, the WCR set is an excellent choice in my opinion.

http://www.myspace.com/552747063

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about picking up some Throbak pickups in a year or so to replace the 57 pickups in my Traditional now. I love the 57s, but when they start to wear out I want to try the Throbaks.

However, the price one those suckers shot up a lot. I have one of his pedals the sTone Bender, a Tone Bender MKII clone. Great pedal, it was expensive when it was cheaper, now its just WAY out of my range. Thank God I got it when I did.

He also used to make amps too *and a lot more pedals*. I am not a big pedal guy, only have 3 (4 counting the Boss looper I use for practice), but I am VERY pleased with my sTone Bender. If I ever get some extra dough I might pick up his Fuzz Face clone too. He does great work, I have tried anything hes done I did not love.

Hopefully I can get some scratch together before all the goods are gone, or the price jumps again!

• 2 months later...

Update:

These Throbaks are absolutely, freakin' fantastic. The bridge pickups is exactly what I have been looking for (at least until I find something else [tongue] ).

I don't get to play hardly at all anymore since taking care of my son is a full time job, so it is often days or even weeks between when I get an hour to myself to play. But once that Marshall is warmed up, I plug in my R9 and the magic happens. Wonderful warm PAF tone. I get all the clarity and decay one should expect from a good PAF, especially for what a set of Throbaks cost. [flapper]

For anyone out there chasing that Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page PAF sound, Throbak is the answer.

Archived