Gibson Brands Forums

Kids today....MODS COMPLETE

brianh

So I went on Craiglist again looking for a Les Paul type hardshell case, and this here TKL one popped up for $80:

P1030103.jpg

Now, $80 is a bit much for a used Epi case, even in good condition, but it was nearby and the seller was a college student and lord knows college kids need money.

So I go to meet him in the supermarket parking lot, give him the 80 bucks, and go home.

Later, I open the case and it seems he forgot something....

P1030104.jpg

Just kidding, but $80 for a HSC and a yellow Jr with a P90 seems like a no-brainer, even if it is one of the plywood jobs. So now I'm trying to figger out how to mod this one. Took it all apart and it will need the usual new tuners, nut, electronics, etc., but the frets are fine, no sharp edges at all, and the fretboard is clean and virtually new. Here are the pics:

P1030109.jpg

P1030108.jpg

P1030107.jpg

P1030106.jpg

P1030105.jpg

Oh, and in case there's any question that most of these entry-level Jrs. are made of plywood (aka "tonewood"), here's your proof:

P1030117.jpg

More pics here: http://s906.photobuc...low%20P90%20Jr/

Cheers, Brian

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmmmmm..... Yellow git with Stained, Tung-Oiled neck?

Exactly...

You, good Sir, will have a COOL looking guitar. Bear in mind, that the

original finish is thicker than you realize, you'll definitely see when

you sand off.

The possible 10 coats of T.O. will be required to build it back up to

original size to match neck pocket!!!!

(BUT, I'm SURE you already know that. BTW, nifty unfinished guitar in the

background on your workbench - hee, hee, hee!).

YEAH, it's WHITE - PRETEND it's YELLOW....

100_0565.jpg

So I went on Craiglist again looking for a Les Paul type hardshell case, and this here TKL one popped up for $80:

P1030103.jpg

Now, $80 is a bit much for a used Epi case, even in good condition, but it was nearby and the seller was a college student and lord knows college kids need money.

So I go to meet him in the supermarket parking lot, give him the 80 bucks, and go home.

Later, I open the case and it seems he forgot something....

P1030104.jpg

Just kidding, but $80 for a HSC and a yellow Jr with a P90 seems like a no-brainer, even if it is one of the plywood jobs. So now I'm trying to figger out how to mod this one. Took it all apart and it will need the usual new tuners, nut, electronics, etc., but the frets are fine, no sharp edges at all, and the fretboard is clean and virtually new. Here are the pics:

P1030109.jpg

P1030108.jpg

P1030107.jpg

P1030106.jpg

P1030105.jpg

Oh, and in case there's any question that most of these entry-level Jrs. are made of plywood (aka "tonewood"), here's your proof:

P1030117.jpg

More pics here: http://s906.photobucket.com/albums/ac267/brianh19426/Yellow%20P90%20Jr/

Cheers, Brian

Brian,

Just changed out my SG 400 Grovers for TonePro/Klusons. Interested?

Bear in mind, that the original finish is thicker than you realize, you'll definitely see when

you sand off.

That's what heat guns and scrapers are for!

P1000515.jpg

I hadn't thought it that far through yet. Maybe leave the neck paint on around the pocket area?

(BUT, I'm SURE you already know that. BTW, nifty unfinished guitar in the

background on your workbench - hee, hee, hee!).

Yes, well you found the real guitar project in the shop...B)

P1030092.jpg

Maybe - I have some Sperzals and a couple sets of Grovers already, but what do you want for them, shipped to PA?

Brian,

You young pup! I'm a tad longer in-the-tooth. I always "hotrod" my toys. The Rotomatics are a great tuner, but like ALL SG 400s, it was cursed with the Neck Dive Syndrome and I wanted to build a Derek Trucks "Tribute" SG, so I put the Tone Pro Klusons on. Solved the NDS and nailed the look. Just wanted to find someone in the forum that could use'em. Not into Fleabay. Child of the Sixties/Share the love, etc. I have 2 complete sets, actually. If you, or other forum members need them for a restoration/upgrade, we can haggle. No hurry.

Brian,

You young pup! I'm a tad longer in-the-tooth. I always "hotrod" my toys. The Rotomatics are a great tuner, but like ALL SG 400s, it was cursed with the Neck Dive Syndrome and I wanted to build a Derek Trucks "Tribute" SG, so I put the Tone Pro Klusons on. Solved the NDS and nailed the look. Just wanted to find someone in the forum that could use'em. Not into Fleabay. Child of the Sixties/Share the love, etc. I have 2 complete sets, actually. If you, or other forum members need them for a restoration/upgrade, we can haggle. No hurry.

I think the tulip-button Klusons look best on a lot of Gibsons including the Jrs, and that's definitely an attractive option for lighter guits. My real problem is that "other" guitar I'm working came with original 1978 USA-made nickel Grovers (102N I think) aged to a nice patina, but two of them had bent worm gear shafts. I tried to straighten one out and it broke (they are hardened steel apparently) so now I'm committed to finding at least two new shafts. I sent a message to Grover, but who knows if they'll return it. The other option is to buy a new/used set of 102N and see if the Korean-made shafts will work. I hate to trash a perfectly good set of tuners just to extract two shafts, so I'm hoping to find some place to order them. None of the usual places seems to sell tuners parts. These are the little buggers I need:

WormGearShaft.jpg

If i was you id donate it, but thats just me. [bored]

Nice grab.

Dem00n, I may well donate it (I practically gave the last one away) but not until after I have some fun with it. Dan Erlewine says "practice on junk" and it makes good sense. These low-end Epi Juniors make great mod platforms, and they can sound and play pretty well for $100 guits. I've bought 4 and have a 5th on the way, and with a new nut, tuners, a decent pickup, a few wiring upgrades and a setup, they actually make a great beater.

The set-neck, solid mahogany '57 Reissue I have is extremely well made, my only gripe is the P90 needs a shim to get it closer to the strings. I might put a new nut on it someday, but no rush. It's a keeper.

Neck Dive Syndrome ??? what is that?

Big,

It is an issue inherent in the design of an SG. Because the forward strap pin is located on the back of the neck (at or about the 20th or so fret), instead of on the upper bout (like a Les Paul) you end up with a pivot point that makes the headstock "dive" to the floor. Some try to reduce the effect by using a super wide guitar strap, some have added weights in the control cavity, but I reduced the mass of the headstock without sacrificing tone or esthetics by going to "vintage style" Tone Pro Klusons. They're just as stable as the Grovers with half of the weight. It's an Epi SG thing.

— heretic

I love how this thread is beginning to develop so much

BACK and FORTHING - kind of a simultaneous multi topic

kinda thang! [biggrin]

I hadn't thought it that far through yet. Maybe leave the neck paint on around the pocket area?

RESPONSE: That would be possible, but a bit ODD looking while doing. When I put

EIGHT coats on the Special II neck, I "test-fitted" the neck. Was just BARELY smaller, I

should have gone for TEN coats. I ended up putting 2 micro-thin handmade shims along the

sides of the pocket (sand, sand, sand - test fit) just to ENSURE I had a good solid wood-to-wood

fit. Worked fine.

That's what heat guns and scrapers are for!

LAZY DOG!!!!! I did all mine by hand!!!!!! Hardest part was TOP of headstock, especially

the center groove. just took longer.

Yes, well you found the real guitar project in the shop...B)

P1030092.jpg

To Quote Daffy Duck: "It's MINE!!! It's MINE!!! ALL MINE!!!!

The worm gear thing is a drag. I hope someone at GROVER has the "Nads" to step up

to the plate and help you out. I STILL have the Tuners from my 70's Hondo II project,

they're just "junk parts" to me at this time. Don't know if any of the internal parts

would be of use to you - how long is the shaft you have, and across the gears from side

to side? I'll grab one of the tuners and compare with your pic just for grins....

Big,

It is an issue inherent in the design of an SG. Because the forward strap pin is located on the back of the neck (at or about the 20th or so fret), instead of on the upper bout (like a Les Paul) you end up with a pivot point that makes the headstock "dive" to the floor. Some try to reduce the effect by using a super wide guitar strap, some have added weights in the control cavity, but I reduced the mass of the headstock without sacrificing tone or esthetics by going to "vintage style" Tone Pro Klusons. They're just as stable as the Grovers with half of the weight. It's an Epi SG thing.

— heretic

Ahhhhhhhhhhh :-k neck heavy, I never even noticed on my one. There was me thinking that SG's suffered from some horrible neck problem i had never heard of. LOL.

It's good to know about those lightweight tuners, i plan on changing mine at some point as the stock ones are not good at keeping in tune. [thumbup]

The worm gear thing is a drag. I hope someone at GROVER has the "Nads" to step up

to the plate and help you out. I STILL have the Tuners from my 70's Hondo II project,

they're just "junk parts" to me at this time. Don't know if any of the internal parts

would be of use to you - how long is the shaft you have, and across the gears from side

to side? I'll grab one of the tuners and compare with your pic just for grins....

Well I heard back from Chuck Kirschling at Grover. Here's what he said:

"Every thing since the early 80's is metric. Your only hope at finding parts would be Ebay."

I just got out-bid on a set of 70's Grovers on eBay, I guess I'm going to have to raise my budget for this restoration...

PS: Thanks for the offer Animal, but I think it's going to have to be an exact match from some old spares.

Well I heard back from Chuck Kirschling at Grover. Here's what he said:

"Every thing since the early 80's is metric. Your only hope at finding parts would be Ebay."

I just got out-bid on a set of 70's Grovers on eBay, I guess I'm going to have to raise my budget for this restoration...

PS: Thanks for the offer Animal, but I think it's going to have to be an exact match from some old spares.

Brian,

Have you thought about "relic-ing" a set of modern Rotomatics? I searched the InterWebs and discovered how the "pros" do it, and it's really easy and fairly safe. I needed to "grunge" up some new parts to match the originals on a certain T*le of mine. Radio Shack Etchant diluted with water applied with a Q-tip. When I saw the picture of the vintage Grover with the "patina" you wanted to use, it looked what I've done to the parts. Discuss amongst yourselves.

— heretic

No, I dunno,

perhaps he had some "Neck-Diving-Syndrom"

[cool]

Oh well on MLP some kid bought an Epi SG. The guy AD it new but when the kid got it, it was all messed up and beat and it had three strap buttons. Two normal and one weird one on the neck. So a member made a joke by copy and pasting the strap lock all over the guitar. In the end the kid fixed the guitar pretty nice for a nooby.

• 3 weeks later...

Remember that yellow bolt-on Junior that I got for $80 with HSC?

P1030104.jpg

Here's an update on the progress turning it into something fun:

Stripped the neck, routed holes for Kluson-style tuners, and re-lacquered headstock front and back to hide old tuner holes and fix a scrape. (Labels are masked off, rough edges will be scraped down later before gloss coats applied.)

P1030302.jpg

Had to fix the "E" with some gold model paint...

P1030305.jpg

Going for that old Gibby headstock look...sort of. Will be finishing the whole neck with clear gloss lacquer (sorry animalfarm).

P1030304.jpg

Re-routed the pickup cavity to accept a standard P90 - note the undersized stock opening:

P1030287.jpg

Working on bolt-ons is easy - no annoying neck to get in the way. No wonder Leo loved them...

P1030288.jpg

Measure ten times, plunge once.

P1030290.jpg

Note the 6 voidless laminates in the pickup cavity...clean, clean, clean.

P1030293.jpg

Shielding tape - a single piece, so no shorts.

P1030298.jpg

A perfect fit:

P1030295.jpg

Archived