Gibson Brands Forums

High E string getting stuck when doing pull offs

jalexquijano

[confused] My 2004 Les Paul Standard has a problem on all frets. Whenever i accomplish pull offs on the high e-string, it gets a little bit stuck and causes a detuning sound from the note. Watching the frets closely i have noticed that there is a small gap between the metal fret and the white binding aound the fret. this is the gap where the string falls when doing the pull offs and detunes the note slightly. How can I fix this problem?? Will i need to refret the entire guitar? What can i tell my luthier to do?

Can you explain the problem better? Is the string going into a 'gap' between the fret and 'nib'?

If so. That should be covered under warranty. Have you had the guitar from new?

You could fill the gap.

Is the gap on all frets?

When you say 'pull off', you normally don't really bend the string doing that.

Can you explain the problem better? Is the string going into a 'gap' between the fret and 'nib'?

If so. That should be covered under warranty. Have you had the guitar from new?

You could fill the gap.

Is the gap on all frets?

When you say 'pull off', you normally don't really bend the string doing that.

this a 2004 les paul standard 60s slim neck profile which i bought 2 years ago used on EBAY. I have been using it with .9s. Dont know if changing to .10s will solve the problem which is present from fret 1 to fret 22 meaning the whole fretboard. i.e if i attempt to play RUsh "The spirit of radio" falling into the gap detunes the pulloffs slightly. What are your recommendations? I am taking the guitar to the luthier tomorrow and need to give him the right directions for the problem to be solved.

post-8541-061816000 1291576947_thumb.jpg

Strange -

Is that grove?

The metal fret should go from end to end with no "gaps" or breaks and the nib goes over the fret ends.

Sorry, without a finer closeup, I can't see what's there. Maybe bad fret work (crowning or leveling?) before you bought it.

Love to hear your luthier's opinion is on what's going on there.

Do you live in very humid conditions or did you play open air while it was raining? To me it looks like the fretboard has swollen due to high humidity. But I might be wrong. Only a luthier can help.

[/quote

Do you think i shall apply crazy glue to fill the gaps in each and every fret?

In my humble opinion and from what I can see is it looks like the fretboard got very dry which would cause the fret slot to widen slightly and allow the fret to unseat its self. There is the possibility as well like the others said that it got to humid or wet and expanded which would cause the fret slot to tighten up and possibly push the fret out as well. Most likely a combination of both I would say. I wouldn't recommend trying to super glue over the gap as your not going to fix the problem and the super glue could screw up the nib. If the person you are taking it to is really knowledgable they will be able to asses what caused the condition and the best way to repair it. From a million mile away view I would guess that they would try to get the neck clean and properly hydrated and then try using a fret press to reseat the frets. If they stay seated your good. If they won't then they might recommend using epoxy and repressing all the original frets. Another option would be that they refret the whole guitar with a fret with a wider and more aggressive tang. This will be pretty expensive because it is a pain in the A$$ to refret a bound neck. You have to meticulously cut each fret to size. Then you have to under cut and flatten underneath each end of the fret so the tang doesn't protrude in the binding and then you have to meticulously level, crown and reshape the fret ends so you don't file the nib off.

If this is the case I would probably go with the epoxy press refret using the original frets if they are in good shape. There are mixed opinions on this method that you can google and decide yourself. Let us know what you find out and good luck!

Do you think i shall apply crazy glue to fill the gaps in each and every fret?

I don't think you should do anything to the guitar but bringing it to a good luthier and let him do whatever he thinks is appropriate. Applying any kind of glue is definitely a very bad idea. And although fretboard cleaning seems very necessary, I suggest to let the luthier explain to you how it has to be done.

I also had this experience with my les paul playing the same song from Rush! It's true! It also started when I change it to 9's since i play every night. In my opinion, there is not enough space to do vibratos or pull-offs due to the space occupied by the nibs or neck binding that connects with the frets. They are not the same material and density so there's a tendency that a gap will occur in a long run. I think changing to .10's will help a bit so you won't exaggerate your left hand vibrato. You also have to adjust your playing style. more on the upward stroke while doing vibratos will also help. If the gap is worse than what im thinking, better bring it to a good luthier.

• 2 weeks later...

SO what did ya find out?????????????

Guys,

Bottom line, the luthier could not fix the problem, even though he used some epoxy material to feel the gaps. He has suggested to refret the entire guitar, which i dont think is appropiate. I have attached this closer photo of the third fret and whenever i do a pull off on the G note you can hear the detune of the note at the end in a more pronunciated way than the other notes. Cant I fix this problem myself with your help online specially on this fret. I dont want to refret the entire guitar, it could be a risk.

post-8541-032179400 1292982218_thumb.jpg

Guys,

Bottom line, the luthier could not fix the problem, even though he used some epoxy material to feel the gaps. He has suggested to refret the entire guitar, which i dont think is appropiate. I have attached this closer photo of the third fret and whenever i do a pull off on the G note you can hear the detune of the note at the end in a more pronunciated way than the other notes. Cant I fix this problem myself with your help online specially on this fret. I dont want to refret the entire guitar, it could be a risk.

Unfortunately It would be hard to give you good advice on a good repair without physically seeing the guitar. If you don't feel like the Guy you took it to was shooting you straight I would try to find someone else. I wish I could actually see and feel what your talking about and could help you but I don't think anyone can without just wildly guessing. I know refretting a bound neck guitar is expensive is that what's putting you off or is it that you think you will devalue the guitar?

Unfortunately It would be hard to give you good advice on a good repair without physically seeing the guitar. If you don't feel like the Guy you took it to was shooting you straight I would try to find someone else. I wish I could actually see and feel what your talking about and could help you but I don't think anyone can without just wildly guessing. I know refretting a bound neck guitar is expensive is that what's putting you off or is it that you think you will devalue the guitar?

Is not that quite expensive here in Panama, Central America. He charges US$125 which seems affordable. However he says that the bottom white binding will be lost. It will be refrettes as an Epiphone guitar which does not have the white bindings

Is not that quite expensive here in Panama, Central America. He charges US$125 which seems affordable. However he says that the bottom white binding will be lost. It will be refrettes as an Epiphone guitar which does not have the white bindings

What about applying some crazy glue to that fret exactly? will it work?

I would not put crazy glue in the gaps. When the wood swells and contracts , the crazy glue won't do the same as the wood. I'd take it to another luthier and see what they say. If a refret is the way to go then I'd do that. I think Rector is right here. Could just be an easy fix or it might be an expensive one. $125 to get it fixed isn't that bad and if you don't plan on ever selling the guitar, then I'd do it.

Always get a second opinion if you don't feel comfortable....

Well that's why I was saying it would be expensive if they save the NIBS.... I would take it somewhere else and if refretted find someone that will take the time to do it without cutting the nibs off.

I can almost see a little gap all along the binding, which suggests to me that at some point the fretboard swelled up some and pushed the binding out a bit. If the fretboard had dried and shrunk, the frets would stay in the same position and push out at the nibs causing little cracks in the binding where the frets are. Thus if it had shrunk the binding would be tighter against the fret ends. However with a combination of swelling and shrinking over time it might have loosened the binding a bit over time. I don't buy the 'losing' the bottom binding line. Worst case, all he should have to do is cut off the nibs and leave the fret ends over the binding. If he removes the entire binding you will have a ridge where the binding used to be that you will feel and will hurt you if you go to sell the guitar in the future.

I agree that you need a second opinion on it and I think you need to monitor the humidity of the guitar closely to make sure it doesn't get worse. If the binding has pulled away a bit, a good luthier should be able to re-glue it for you. In the meantime you can try a larger guage string and see how that works for you.

Humidity level of the guitar needs to be checked. If its not stable then threes no point in trying to remedy it.

If that fret is worn down so that you cannot get a good crown on it, it tapers or has a divot where the string is then you either get a partial fret replacement or replace them all if they have issues.

• 6 months later...

Same problem here on a Gibson, playing the same damn song! LOL. I have to pick up my OTHER Gibson in order to play this song... for some reason, only one of my Gibby's has this separation. I refuse to refret due to highly collectible nature of this particular guitar - but I sure as heck wish Gibson would stop this stupid Binding technique with nibs. It really is dreadful. I noticed how the custom shop Gibsons now have binding and NO NIB! That's the way to go.

Archived