Gibson Brands Forums

side-jack SGs

Markham

My SG Standard is a 1981 model with Super Humbuckers and the input jack mounted on the side of the guitar, similar to the placement of a Les Paul jack. I've see a lot SGs out there but few with this jack location.

Anyone know how many were made this way? Also, what's your opinion on the placement?

And Gibson sent me a spec sheet on the Super Humbuckers in reply to my query as to what these epoxy encased pickups were in my guitar. Here's what it said:

Designed in 1971, has stronger, hotter output than original humbucking but combined with better low and high end frequency response "Well suited to Fusion, Rock and Country."

Inductance - 4.7 Henries

Resonant Peak - 5.8 K Hz

DC Resistance - 7.8 K Ohms (At 1000 CPS)

Hope this info helps anyone who, like me, was wondering.

post-27974-016661800 1292979927_thumb.jpg

Never had one like that. But I like the jack on the face. That way I can use a right angle plug to situate the cable in a more tidy fashion, straight up and through the strap, over the strap button.

To state the obvious - you can do the same thing with the jack on the side. B)

• 6 months later...

I have a 1990 SG Standard in winered with Shaller roller bridge and the jack to the side. The jack to the side makes no difference for me in terms of functionality. What I don't like about the configuration is that SG's with the jack to the side all seem to have the toggle switch at an unconfortable position close to the knobs.

Here's mine

DSC06977.JPG

The 1970s Guild S100c had the jack on the front as the SG from which it took its basic design concept - but it also has a roller bridge I rather like - and that's without any sort of whammy. Never had a problem keeping it in tune, either.

m

• 2 weeks later...

Archived