Gibson Brands Forums

1961 Southern Jumbo SJ-45

Lanniepig

I have a guitar that I received when my grandfather passed away a few years ago. I'm not a real guitar guru. After some research, I found out that it appears to be a 1961 Gibson J45. Only a few days ago, I was informed by someone else that is wasn't just a J45 but it was an SJ45 (Southern Jumbo). I've never heard of one of these until then and don't know the differences except the inlays on the fingerboard aren't the normal dots but are hollographic rectangle sort of shapes. Also, I am told that the shape of the bottom of the neck is different. I don't understand what difference there is supposed to be. I figured this was the best place to find out the differences and how much difference in value there is and how much more rare the SJ45 is compared to the J45. I attached a couple of pics. I have better ones but aren't available on this computer. The top was cracked when I got it and I had it professionally repaired. I did NOT replace the top, only repaired the braces. It plays and sounds absolutely magnificent!!! Some say this killed the value and others see it as character and are only concerned with the "Voice of the box" and not as much the "appearance of the box". Any info and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yup, a Southerner Jumbo. It is not a 1961 though. Gibson did not start using that style of pickguard until 1963. As it looks like the guitar has a rosewood bridge it would be no earlier than 1964.

The top on that one does look like it has been through a war. You made the right call by having the cracks professionally repaired and not having the top refinished. But a top in that condition will still certainly devalue a guitar.

Yup, a Southerner Jumbo. It is not a 1961 though. Gibson did not start using that style of pickguard until 1963. As it looks like the guitar has a rosewood bridge it would be no earlier than 1964.

The top on that one does look like it has been through a war. You made the right call by having the cracks professionally repaired and not having the top refinished. But a top in that condition will still certainly devalue a guitar.

Actually Gibson went to the square shoulder SJ in 1962 and started using that pickguard as well in 62.

So how much difference is there in value from J45 vs the Southern Jumbo? I can't find anything on Gibson website about this guitar. I'm considering trading this and would like to know a little more about what I have. Is there somewhere I can date this exactly from the number on the neck?

So how much difference is there in value from J45 vs the Southern Jumbo? I can't find anything on Gibson website about this guitar. I'm considering trading this and would like to know a little more about what I have. Is there somewhere I can date this exactly from the number on the neck?

That may be a 62 catalog but those are 61 guitars pictured.

Notice the 12 string, it has round shoulders. Gibson only made the round[slope] shoulder B4512 in 61 only.

Not trying to argue with you but I'm sure that 62 was the first year of the square shoulder and that bigger pickguard.

61 was the last year of the round shoulder SJ.

Archived