Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone G-1275 vs Gibson EDS-1275

IceTr3

Most of us have seen this guitar. Both are beautiful but which one sounds better. I can buy the Gibson but then I'm out another 3.7 grand. With the Epiphone I can buy a nasty car. Which one should I get? Also I notice on the Epi's G-1275 theres one more switch. What does it do? and please don't opt for the Gibson because it's a Gibson!

The Epi double necks are made of plywood,

Niiice... [rolleyes]

There have been some Gibson EDSs on ebay going cheap recently--so cheap even though it's last thing I need, it's tempting just because they are so fricken cool. Thought I saw a $2200 BIN on a white one in great shape. [thumbup]

Get a Gibson because....

IT'S A GIBSON.

You guys can say all you want about them..I have had my Epi. for quite a few years now, I love it, and saved a TON of money, But, I don't throw mine around either!!

No doubt the Gibby's are better, but I'm just saying for the price difference....

Also factor in, what you are going to use it for, and how hard you will be on it!!

Mine sounds great, and I'm happy....And that's my.......2c.gif

It all depends what you want it for and what you can afford. If you can spare the cash then the Gibby is the way to go. If doing so will really be a stretch and you just want something to beat up and experiment with then the Epi is the way to go.

Just remember that money spent on an Epi is gone. A Gibson will always hold at least some of its value.

Personally, I just can't see spending 5-6 times more...Now, if my name was Jimmy Page, and, A- had that much money..B- I was playing on a whirlwind tour, then maybe..

Who knows maybe if I won the lottery, which I don't play, then I might buy one. But with the economy the way it is...smiley-gen135.gif

Oh yeah dude, some dude that works for epi went on the forums and explained what the plywood was...its not acutal plywood!

This is some guy who bought a Epi and thought the guitar was made out of plywood...this is the mods reply.

"Hi Mr. Moon,

Thank you for the post and your participation in the forum. First, I'm very sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your G-1275 purchase. Additionally, it's clear to me that we, as well as our retailers, are causing some confusion with regards to the specifications of this product. I apologize for this and I invite you to return your purchase to your authorized Epiphone retailer for a complete refund. If you have any problem doing this, please email me directly via this forum and I will take care of it personally. We will be adjusting the wording of the body specifications to more coincide with our customer expectations for this product.

That said, our G-1275 is made from laminated Mahogany and has been since it's introduction approximately 15 years ago. This includes both the price list model (cherry) and any/all limited editions. During that time, I have not been aware of any confusion regarding this specification nor any major customer complaints until now. Laminated wood is not new and it is not unusual in guitar production. There are many laminated Spruce top acoustics as well as most all "ES" model guitars made with laminated (layered) tone woods.

The reason that we make the G-1275 from laminated Mahogany has to do with the size of the body (remember - this is almost the width of 2 guitars) and the stress it is under given the 2 necks (12-string and 6-string). Given our cost target, if the body were solid Mahogany, it would have to be made from many multiple pieces. We tested this approach when we were first considering the release of this model. Unfortunately, what we found was that the body tended to warp. Therefore, our Engineering staff decided to use a laminated piece of Mahogany providing much more strength and stability. And - testing showed that there was no significant change in tone.

While I recognize that $800 is a lot to spend on a guitar, please compare it to the solid wood Gibson version for 5-times more at ~$3,999. In that light, we believe that our G-1275 remains a tremendous value and a great guitar.

Once again, I do apologize for your disappointment and I look forward to gaining back your confidence.

Sincerely,

Jim Epi "

Niiice... [rolleyes]

There have been some Gibson EDSs on ebay going cheap recently--so cheap even though it's last thing I need, it's tempting just because they are so fricken cool. Thought I saw a $2200 BIN on a white one in great shape. [thumbup]

Get a Gibson because....

IT'S A GIBSON.

Yeah, I saw one for $400 dollars and I freaked! But it might be too good to be true. But he offered free returning so I jumped for it.

Archived