Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Seniority Status

Acousticologist

Hey

I'm a long time Martin player, and have recently discovered Gibson acoustics, and now own a Southern Jumbo and an Advanced Jumbo... (Love 'em)

Living a little bit a way from most gibson dealers, it's hard to get accurate prices and info on the guitars, and don;t really know my way around the various models yet.

Martin lines are pretty simple. ie:

X series - fake back and sides, sitka top. ( lowest entry level $$$)

1 Series - real back and sides (Entry level $$$)

16 series - the start of a good thing. some gems can be found. still cheap.

18 series - nicer woods, higher price

28 series - "gem" of their collection, nice woods, good tones. more expensive still... near top of the range

HD Sereis - better yet.

40 series - fine woods, special inlays, top of the range ($$$$)

For someone new to gibson, I'm not sure what's what. and the local prices are all over the place.

How do you get to know the Gibson range from bottom to top??

Is the Advanced Jumbo in a different league to the Southern Jumbo. How does the J45 stack up against them?

Would appreciate any input. I've fallen in love with Gibson, and am keen to learn my way around..

PS: I've attached a picture of my beauties...

From L-R : Gibson Advanced Jumbo, Martin 000-16GT, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Martin D28, Martin 000C16GTE, Martin HD 28 Custom Adirondack top..

post-28341-075840800 1295685583_thumb.jpg

Gibsons are all over the map and I don't think there is a "top to bottom" way of looking at them. Maybe in the past when there were LG 1, 2, 3 but nowadays all the models have a niche of their own pretty much. And then there's a large number of special models, customs etc. that muddy the waters.

I just look at them as

Long scale- AJ for one

Short scale- J-45 etc.

slope body- both AJ, J-45

square body- Hummingbird, Dove,

Jumbo J-185

and J-200s- biggest.

small bodies- L series, others

Songwriters- kind of a smaller dread body.

Lotsof folks can weigh in on many additional details. It is never as clear as Martin.

Don't really have an answer for you Hoss. It ain't like the old days when you just had to check to see how fat your wallet was and decide whether you wanted say a J-45 or J-50 based on what finish you liked better. Today Martin and Gibson offer so many variations on a theme it makes ya dizzy looking trying to just figure out what guitars to check out nevermind trying to find one to play.

Guess its good, in that you'll have less preconceived ideas. Just let the instrument do the talking..

I think that this is definitely the best way to approach things. For example, Gibson offers a "True-Vintage" series of acoustics which is somewhat like Martin's Golden Era line. They also have a couple of "Legends" models that are somewhat similar in concept to the "Authentic" series by Martin. I own a J-45 TV and think that it's a great guitar. But I've also encountered regular model J-45s that I thought sounded better than the TV model that the local shop had in stock at the time. So much for preconceived notions. It's always best to play before you pay if at all possible, but if not and you have to purchase remotely, then at least deal with someone who has a good trial/return policy.

All the best,

Guth

28 series - "gem" of their collection, nice woods, good tones. more expensive still... near top of the range

HD Sereis - better yet.

Thanks for that Jason,.. that a super interesting read and really helps me understand the Martin range. I assume the USA made models don't kick in till the 16 series, with the early models being Mexican made?

[thumbup]

Thanks for that Jason,.. that a super interesting read and really helps me understand the Martin range. I assume the USA made models don't kick in till the 16 series, with the early models being Mexican made?

[thumbup]

Hey Spot,

well Martin uses HPL to describe the back and sides of the X series. While HPL is certainly a more attractive term than fake, ultimately your ears should do the talking,,, uhhh listening...

HPL = High Pressure Laminate. (essentially old bits compressed and made to look pretty)

But i do believe the more recent models ( at least the X series) are being made in Mexico.

what axe are you playing on at the moment?

Do you reckon the standard Advanced Jumbo would stand up to a J45 TV, or is the TV more refined and a bit better?

Well, they're two different beasts really, with the AJ historically being rosewood/long scale ad the J-45 being mahogany/short-scale (of course Gibson offers plenty of variations on these specs with different wood combinations and scale lengths, etc.). But yes, I'm of the opinion that there are examples of standard Advanced Jumbos (along with standard J-45s) that can sound simply fantastic, just as there are TVs out there that sound disappointing by comparison. Which was sort of the point I was trying to make — it largely comes down to the individual guitar. The AJ is an interesting guitar in Gibson's lineup as it uses fairly extreme forward-shifted bracing and a very small bridge plate which more than likely has something to do with the volume these guitars are typically able to generate and the large amount of headroom they usually offer. I've played a lot of AJs that I really liked (but then I dig the whole AJ vibe).

As it happens, in addition to my J-45 TV, I own an Advanced Jumbo as well. I enjoy each guitar for different reasons and they compliment each other nicely. My favorite thing about my AJ is the neck size/shape as the one I purchased has a slightly fuller profile and a 1 3/4" nut. It plays great. The example I own has a pretty straightforward tone with emphasis on the fundamental note and not as many overtones as rosewood guitars typically produce. It has a good amount of bite to it when I dig in which is fun and works well with my playing style (I far prefer the way it sounds fingerpicked than flatpicked). I'm honestly more of a mahogany guy at heart and if I could only keep one, I'd stick with the J-45. That said I'm definitely enjoying having the AJ around.

All the best,

Guth

"Do you reckon the standard Advanced Jumbo would stand up to a J45 TV, or is the TV more refined?" As Guth points out, they have different sounds but I wouldnt call the TV "more refined." AJs (custom runs or as part of the "Historic" series in the 00s) was always intended as a close copy of a classic model, similar to Martins V-series. Posts in other forums have stated that the AJS were a cut above std issue J45s (in general, not always). The AJ was dropped from production around the the time the TV designnation appeared but its closer to that in spirit than a std model.

Btw, dont know if anyone else mentioned but the 45tv and AJ have the same bracing pattern.

Hey

I'm a long time Martin player, and have recently discovered Gibson acoustics, and now own a Southern Jumbo and an Advanced Jumbo... (Love 'em)

Living a little bit a way from most gibson dealers, it's hard to get accurate prices and info on the guitars, and don;t really know my way around the various models yet.

HD Sereis - better yet.

For someone new to gibson, I'm not sure what's what. and the local prices are all over the place.

Is the Advanced Jumbo in a different league to the Southern Jumbo. How does the J45 stack up against them?

Would appreciate any input. I've fallen in love with Gibson, and am keen to learn my way around..

wow nice harum, I am jealous !

From L-R : Gibson Advanced Jumbo, Martin 000-16GT, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Martin D28, Martin 000C16GTE, Martin HD 28 Custom Adirondack top..

Hey Spot,

what axe are you playing on at the moment?

My '63 Country Western is currently at my Luthier so I'm enjoying a '60's Harmony Sovereign H1260 at the moment. Big sounds for limited Bucks Baby!!!!

[thumbup]

This is the thing about Gibson, there isnt a top of the range and bottom of the range, and its what i love about the brand.

The J-45 standard is usually the 'cheapest' of the Gibsons, but also in a recent poll the J-45 is also the favourite of the Gibson playing folks here on the forum. Also out of 6 recent Gibsons i played the J-45 standard to my ears was the best sounding one, and also the cheapest, go figure !

Gibsons 'line' is really based on tonal preferance and individuality. They all have that lovelly growl and note seperation but then as others pointed out its about preferance for short or long scale, different tone woods or body shape.

Its also why they all have such individual designs and look, to find the one for you.

Welcome to the forum, great to have you here !

cheers,

Mark

I think all the Gibson models are special and its about

Hey

HD Sereis - better yet.

HD Sereis - better yet.

if you slightly change how you look at the Martin line, then it may help explain the Gibson line too. in your list, the 28 and 18 are listed as "series". and you rank the 28 as higher. these aren't really "series" though and the ranking is personal preference and price based rather than an actual ranking like the other models you mentioned.

the X series obviously is lower than the standard series, and the vintage series is higher than the standards.... but the models based numbers don't compare the same way.

more accurately, the would be the 10 series, and the 20 series. 10s have mahogany b/s, 20s have RW. (the 16s seems to be the only ones that don't fit in here btw.) rosewood is a more expensive wood, and therefore costs more... but doesn't mean it's better. most classic gibsons are mahogany and people prefer that. the standard mahogany J45 is generally more liked than the RW45.... even though the RW costs more. just personal preference.

in each series, there are different models, that can be ranked against one another. for example, a D15 is lower than a D18. this is b/c the 18 gets the spruce top. a D21 is the same as a D18 but with RW b/s. these would compare the same, except for your personal preference. the 28 is higher than the 21 b/c of the ebony board and bridge.

my point? both brands can muddy the waters. both brands have some ranking, but it's not cut and dry with either. a lot of these differences in Gibsons will just come down to personal preference. many prefer the J45 to everything else regardless of price.... and it's a real flagship for Gibson. when looking at J45s, the TV model IS nicer than the standard though.

i know i just made that even more confusing! lol. let's see if i can clear it up with a simply written chart:

Martin---------------- Gibson

X-series---------------- None

16 series---------------- None

Standard series---------------- None

HD---------------- Standard (the old modern classic)

Vintage series---------------- True Vintage

Golden Era---------------- Legend

after that, each brand has a few models that don't fit in. Gibson has things like the AJ, while Martin has things like the Performing Artist series.... just guitars out on their own. after that, it all comes down to personal preference, and prices are based on what goes into it. is a J200 better than a J45? i personally don't think so, but i do understand that the huge flamed maple body and all that inlay costs more.

Almost...

"Martin---------------- Gibson

X-series---------------- None

16 series---------------- None

Standard series/HD (also a std) Standard /modern classic/ Historic [dove tail necks, 50-60s stds]

Vintage series---------------- True Vintage, AJ etc [ie non-exact replicas

Golden Era---------------- Special runs (OJS, J35 [ie near replicas w/truss-bars etc

Authentic 'Legend' [hide glue and in martins case no truss.

At the risk of stating the obvious,

Visit Gibson's product pages, select Gibson Brands:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Gibson-Acoustic.aspx

They have suggested list prices.

That ought to give you a feel for the lay of the land.

OH... and welcome to the Dark Side (cremona brown bursted) [thumbup]

Archived