sneakerpimp

5396758520_0c970ac6e0_b.jpg

5396758640_9d71610471_b.jpg

5396161173_fc85e504ed_b.jpg

5396161233_e080d9af61_b.jpg

5396759012_13ce64ce36_b.jpg

5396759160_0b1b79de99_b.jpg

5396759228_2cc9f86ca8_b.jpg

UPS will be sending someone to look at the damage. from the looks of things someone drop kicked the box precisely on the sweet spot that would lead to this. however, there was not adequate popcorn and it was single boxed without bubble wrap.

needless to say i'm gravely disappointed and worried about what's going to happen in the claims process. i really thought this could have been 'the One'. UPS also denied me my 335 brotherhood.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch! It hurts just to look at that! I think everytime you have a guitar shipped as you are unpacking and start to open the case you are hold your breath hoping and praying that this doesn't happen. I hope it works out well for you, please keep us up to date on how it goes.

mgm

5396758520_0c970ac6e0_b.jpg

5396758640_9d71610471_b.jpg

5396161173_fc85e504ed_b.jpg

5396161233_e080d9af61_b.jpg

5396759012_13ce64ce36_b.jpg

5396759160_0b1b79de99_b.jpg

5396759228_2cc9f86ca8_b.jpg

UPS will be sending someone to look at the damage. from the looks of things someone drop kicked the box precisely on the sweet spot that would lead to this. however, there was not adequate popcorn and it was single boxed without bubble wrap.

needless to say i'm gravely disappointed and worried about what's going to happen in the claims process. i really thought this could have been 'the One'. UPS also denied me my 335 brotherhood.

Did you buy through ebay? Or were you at least smart enough to use Paypal or a Credit Card. If you did either it's the Sellers obligation to make sure it arrives safe. Was this not in a case? Bubble wrap and peanuts??That's not good packing. Where was it packed? You have to give more details. If a Brown UPS store packed it they are responsible. If you used paypal..The Seller has to eat this not you. Same with Ebay..So shed some light

Did you buy through ebay? Or were you at least smart enough to use Paypal or a Credit Card. If you did either it's the Sellers obligation to make sure it arrives safe. Was this not in a case? Bubble wrap and peanuts??That's not good packing. Where was it packed? You have to give more details. If a Brown UPS store packed it they are responsible. If you used paypal..The Seller has to eat this not you. Same with Ebay..So shed some light

purchased on ebay via paypal. i agree that he is responsible for safe arrival.

the seller is a person not a store/company and he packed it. no markings of 'fragile' or 'this way up' anywhere.

it was in the case. these breaks are not unheard of.

i keep hearing the same thing: the seller is responsible...

but when is he required to issue my refund? after his claim with UPS is settled?

from what i've read, i eat the return shipping.

Ouch! It hurts just to look at that! I think everytime you have a guitar shipped as you are unpacking and start to open the case you are hold your breath hoping and praying that this doesn't happen. I hope it works out well for you, please keep us up to date on how it goes.

my last 6 were shipped, they were all set necks and survived... also survived me shipping 4 of those to new owners! i'm extremely careful in my shipping, guess maybe i take it for granted others are the same.

Maybe they will settle with you and then let you keep the guitar. I wouldn't be afraid of owning a repaired headstock if I didn't have much invested in the guitar.

Another beautiful guitar falls prey to the Achilles heel of Gibsons. So sorry. If it ends up that you decide to repair it, send it to Greg at BCR Music. See ES 359 horror story for an example.

So sorry to see that. The natural finish 333 is a real sleeper & would be worth repairing if you can get a good enough settlement. Hope it all works out for the best.

luthiers are very expensive here and there will be some refin required. they would have to offer me an 80% refund for it to be worth my while to fix it, live the depreciation and love it as if there were no damage in the first place.

thanks everyone for the kind words and advice. UPS should be here monday so by then i will hopefully have new info to post here.

purchased on ebay via paypal. i agree that he is responsible for safe arrival.

the seller is a person not a store/company and he packed it. no markings of 'fragile' or 'this way up' anywhere.

it was in the case. these breaks are not unheard of.

i keep hearing the same thing: the seller is responsible...

but when is he required to issue my refund? after his claim with UPS is settled?

from what i've read, i eat the return shipping.

This is my advice. I have sold over 200 large ticket items on ebay. Mostly guitars annd amps. I have had 4 amps damaged where I was the seller. In 2 of those cases. buyers filed with ebay for a full refund. Which they received. I received my damaged goods back and it was up to me to get my money from the insurance claim. UPS may be coming to your house to look, but they will deal with him on the damage. UPS's veiw on guitars is they cover them if the case is a hard case. Don't say anything about not enough packing. Let them make that call. But your a fool if you don't approach this seller right away and just say you want your money back.If he refuses than file with ebay. You don't have to settle-Just get the refund. Don't do a fix deal. Maybe if UPS agrees to buy a new one. But even than they will issue this guy a refund. For math purposes lets say the guitar was worth 2,000 new. You bought it for 1500.00 plus 50 shipping.. The seller insured it for 2,000.00. UPS gives him the 2,000 to buy a new one. He's not going to give you the 2,000.00 . Ask for a refund. You don't have to eat anything. I've been through this. Your in the drivers seat. Not the seller. I am serious.. Your entitled to a full refund. Whoever told you that you have to eat the shipping is a fool. That would only be correct if you just didn't like it and wanted a refund.

Are you sure the neck wasn't broken before you bought it. I had someone sell me a guitar 3 years ago. An Acoustic. When it arrived it was cracked near the sound hole. He wanted to file a claim and like a fool I went along. UPS decided that the crack was there before I bought it. They had a guitar shop look at it I assume. I did end up with a full refund. I just had to wait 6 weeks because I let the buyer talk me into waiting.

I had another case where I sold the item. The buyer claimed it was damaged when it arrived. I'd insured at his request for full price as though it was new. UPS looked at it agreed to pay what I had it insured for. The seller had paid me 900.00 less than what a new one costs. When I received the money and the damaged amp back. I could tell by looking. He'd done the damage himself. When I called him he didn't want a replacement he wanted the Insurance money. I was going to give it to him until I checked things over and could tell he pulled a scam to make 900.00. I sent him a refund for exactly what he paid me. There ended up being 875.00 extra. Plus the amp. Needless to say he was pissed, but I was only obligated to pay him the purchase price and shipping back. So his scam back fired. I reported this to the claims adjuster at UPs. They told me they had not suspected fraud so for me to keep the money. But you see my point. Get you refund right away.

I'm a bad typer..If you need advice..Give me you phone # and I'll call you ..Other than that you go under community at top of page. type refund. One of the links that comes up say's Report that you received an item that wasn't as described

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CustomerSupport

here's a link to that page

You are a dis-satisfied buyer who received damaged goods. You are entitled to a full refund. Just like you bought it from a online store. An honest seller would be telling you that. He owes you a full refund..Now not 2 weeks from now..Good luck..

Seems like every "broken guitar via shipping" story I've read involves UPS. From what I've read you should insist on FedEx next time.

With all do respect UPS is quite easy to deal with. Yes you probably hear more damage reports via UPS. That's because they do 50% more business than Fed-ex. The fault lies with the shipper. I've sent guitars all over the world. Some had to go without cases . Never had one damaged I packed myself. It's a very simple process-but it also depends what your sending. Gibson doesn't do the best job supplying a road worthy case. They are flimsy lightweight and provide little protection. In their defense a set neck construction is much more prone to damage than a bolted neck.

The bottom line : The OP is fully entitled to his $$$ back right away. If the seller has any amount of experience he/she already knows that. All he has to do is ask for a refund. Again my advice offer stands. Although I have pretty much told you what you need to do. Best of luck mate. I am sure it will work out if you stick to your guns.

Sorry this happened man! "That Sucks" doesn't come close to describing the situation. At least it is a very clean break, and this type of repair is easy and cheap too! Just have a reputable shop do the work. Glue and clamp the crack well, then, since it is a natural finish, a shot of clear lacquer and a buff and it will be nearly invisible! If you get some sort of settlement and get to keep this guitar, it will likely turn out better for you in the long run! You will still have a great guitar that you don't have to baby so much, AND maybe have a little dough to throw at another fine axe! :) I hope it works out for you !!!!!!!!

mgrmatt, on 29 January 2011 - 02:46 PM, said:

my last 6 were shipped, they were all set necks and survived... also survived me shipping 4 of those to new owners! i'm extremely careful in my shipping, guess maybe i take it for granted others are the same.

I hear ya man, we assume that most people know and understand the abc's of shipping a guitar. I once bought a ES335 off of Craigslist that was shipped via USPS, I get to the Post Office and the dude had wrapped clear bubble wrap around the case and slapped a shipping label on it and it actually made it through unharmed. I hope it works out well for you.

mgm

I would love to see mythbusters on discovery do a show on this type of damage....

I just dont see how on god's green earth, if a guitar is packed correctly and with a hard shell case, that this could ever happen... And this is so avoidable.... Just put extra packing inside the case and double box it (with case)... there is no way in hell this could ever happen if you do extra packing on top of having a hardshell case...

Unfortunately I have had the occasional moron send a guitar with case only (no box) or put the guitar inside a case too big for it with no extra packing... I mean it so easy to take extra care when you pack a guitar...

UPDATE

UPS picked up the guitar, so i let the seller know. i kindly let him know that a refund is not in any way contingent on the inspection and that i would like to receive the refund before the inspection. this is his reply:

"Until UPS decides what they are going to do I can't do anything. As you clearly saw I packed the guitar as well, and generally better than any guitar I have ever received from any NEW guitar retailer. Hopefully it will be a quick resolution. Please keep in mind that I sent you a perfectly good guitar and hope for the best possible outcome."

i can ask the seller one more time OR 'escalate' the case to make ebay step in AND send negative feedback (i have already received positive feedback from the seller on this transaction).

I would love to see mythbusters on discovery do a show on this type of damage....

I just dont see how on god's green earth, if a guitar is packed correctly and with a hard shell case, that this could ever happen... And this is so avoidable.... Just put extra packing inside the case and double box it (with case)... there is no way in hell this could ever happen if you do extra packing on top of having a hardshell case...

Unfortunately I have had the occasional moron send a guitar with case only (no box) or put the guitar inside a case too big for it with no extra packing... I mean it so easy to take extra care when you pack a guitar...

Exactly.

If there's any silver lining here, it's that the break was up past the nut, and not right in the nut...so a repair would be easier, and probably wouldn't effect the tone. But it still sucks.

It seems fishy. I don't see how this could happen in the case.

Archived