Gibson Brands Forums

A Green Rhino Followed Me Home

Californiaman

I went to Guitar Center in Fountain Valley yesterday afternoon to try out the new Way Huge Green Rhino OverDrive MKII.

First off let me say that the last time I walked into this GC I left wondering why there customer service was so bad. I don't know. Maybe I intimidate people.

But I was there for 30 minutes before someone asked me if they could help me.

I eventually made my way over to the effects counter and told them I wanted to take the GR for a test drive. The goes, "Here ya' go. You'll need a couple of chords and you can use whatever guitar suits you."

I'm like, "Duh."

So after getting someone else to find me some cables I plugged it into a Fender Blues Jr. and fired her up.

I must say it's a great overdrive. I love the 100 HZ 12dB cut and the "Curve" adjustments on this thing.

Because the service was so bad, I told the guy I might be back tomorrow to pick one up.

He said, "That's our only one. It might not be here tomorrow."

"Well then," I said, "I might not be here tomorrow either," and walked out the door.

Knowing that there is a GC right off the 101 in Oxnard I decided to go there instead.

Let me tell you what a difference between the two GCs. The Oxnard store is so classy. Really helpful people too.

I bought it and a 12-pack of Dunlop .88 Max Grip picks (love them picks by the way). The WHGR retails at $129.00. The picks, I don't even know what the picks cost. Anyway, I got the entire deal for $125.

And I can't reiterate how great the customer service was at the GC Oxnard. Total difference. When they found out that I was in the Fountain Valley store they asked me several questions about customer service there as opposed to Oxnard. I'm telling you, a crack bunch of men and women work there. They had even heard that the service was bad in Fountain Valley.

It just goes to show ya', not all GCs are bad.

Anyway, here's some pictures.

What's in the box?

101_0610.jpg

101_0611.jpg

Ooohh a pedal and some swag.

101_0612.jpg

101_0613.jpg

Oh yeah... the Green Rhino

101_0619.jpg

Remember... Gearmanndude says, "IF IT'S GREEN... IT'S MEAN."

Fred,

I don't post clips. I wish I could but I've never figured out how to.

As you know it is a great OD pedal.

I won't be able to fully fire it up until probably Monday when the house is nice and quiet and the kids are all at school. Oh wait... the kids are home from school Monday.

Oh well. Good time to torture them with the sweet sounds of overdriven 12ax7 tubes.

Have a great weekend. If I get a chance this weekend rest assured I will play it.

Fred,

I don't post clips. I wish I could but I've never figured out how to.

As you know it is a great OD pedal.

I won't be able to fully fire it up until probably Monday when the house is nice and quiet and the kids are all at school. Oh wait... the kids are home from school Monday.

Oh well. Good time to torture them with the sweet sounds of overdriven 12ax7 tubes.

Have a great weekend. If I get a chance this weekend rest assured I will play it.

Your family can deal with it, crank that sucker up.

Nice.

So what's your pedalboard lookin like at the moment? You have amassed a pretty sweet little collection.

Thank you Dub.

Well lets see.

Original Thomas Organ Co. Cry Baby Wah, Fulltone MDV-2, Fulltone '69 Slight Return, Home Brew Electronics Ultimate Fuzz Octave, Fulltone PlimSoul, Way Huge Green Rhino.

I also have a couple A/B/C switchers for different amps and effect series.

I also have a couple other little ditties I can work in as needed. The Danelectro FabTone and a Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal.

For my bass I also have a Boss Chorus, Flanger and EQ.

I'm not done yet!!

Nice, dude. I love having a variety of dirt to step on.

Do you have the old red Fab Tone in the metal enclosure? Those things are ridiculous. The guitarist from one of my favorite bands (Mogwai) uses those. Apparently he buys one wverytime he sees one because they break so much.

I was gonna buy one for $10 but I didn't feel like driving to pick it up (even though it was close) and now I kindof regret not getting it.

Now you just need a sweet delay [flapper]

dude, i'm like. reading your story, then i'm like, dude. that guy sounds totally like from l.a., then i'm like, dude, he is from l.a. duh!.

i know, or rather knew, both those stores from way back, when gc had like 2 stores in chicago and 2 in frisco and like 5 in l.a. area. i worked at the santa ana store (now gone) and i was like 20, it was my first real job and it was my dream job. i had a lot of life lessons to learn, and they taught me the hard way. gc was just starting to become a large super corp, and they were training thier staff and operations to be like a car sales operation. straight commision (against min wage) and had the santa ana store staffed with way too much salesmen. we had to literally fight each other to make a living, and we all hated it. taught me to be a saleman tho.

well, i was fired from that one by the manager (a real ambitious guy who later was promoted to corparate) and immediately hired by the manager with a promotion to the lawndale store. being young and stupid, i didn't keep my mouth shut, and the manager who fired me quickly put a stop to it, as well as giving me a good toungue lashing for having such gall.

now, a little later i learned that the lawndale store was like gc purgatory and the oxnard store was like gc vacation. ron wolf moved on to become manager of oxnard, a high class dude who was a marvel of a salesman. nobody i think today knows how he does it, but he could make the biggest sales often without saying a word. (not bad customer service, just had a way of pleasing without having to speak a bunch of bs).

anyway, i do have a point. i have mixed feelings about gc. on the one hand, i think it is great that they bring gear to the masses, and give aspiring kids jobs. on the other hand, i don't like how the make buying a guitar like buying a car, and even the influence on product to me is detrimental as a whole.

when i go in now and there is some kid there who has no idea what costomer service is, i take pity on him. i do, however like to mess with him. maybe teach him something the machine is failing at.

Wasn't Ron Wolf tall, slender with dirty blond straight hair?

Cause I think he sold me my Alembic 5-string Spoiler bass and my Gibson ES-175.

I can almost picture the guy in my head.

Oh and get this. My best friend had a Gibson 1275 stolen from a gig in Garden Grove. It ended up at GC Santa Ana a week later. Not only did they not help my buddy out, but they didn't even help the police. No serial number. No luck. We all knew it was his guitar, but they wouldn't even give us the name of the guy who sold it too them so we could take care it.

Nice, dude. I love having a variety of dirt to step on.

Do you have the old red Fab Tone in the metal enclosure? Those things are ridiculous. The guitarist from one of my favorite bands (Mogwai) uses those. Apparently he buys one wverytime he sees one because they break so much.

I was gonna buy one for $10 but I didn't feel like driving to pick it up (even though it was close) and now I kindof regret not getting it.

Now you just need a sweet delay [flapper]

Wait, I forgot. I have a Maxon AD999 analogue delay. See, I can't even keep track of all the toys I have.

The FabTone is great. It's only problem is that the face plate for the input and output area is plastic and tends to break.

I remember getting this sound out of that pedal one afternoon. Before I was done I had learned the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em8JuUW-OOE

Wasn't Ron Wolf tall, slender with dirty blond straight hair?

Cause I think he sold me my Alembic 5-string Spoiler bass and my Gibson ES-175.

I can almost picture the guy in my head.

Oh and get this. My best friend had a Gibson 1275 stolen from a gig in Garden Grove. It ended up at GC Santa Ana a week later. Not only did they not help my buddy out, but they didn't even help the police. No serial number. No luck. We all knew it was his guitar, but they wouldn't even give us the name of the guy who sold it too them so we could take care it.

ron wolf was tall, slender, but i havent seen him sinse '88 or '89..who knows what his hair looks like now.

that story about the stolen axe, that sucks. i would have taken that as many places i could, upstairs, downstairs, that is just so clearly wrong. did he call the cops on guitar center? i would have. you know, there is a lot of wrong that poeple do, and more and more, that poeple think they can get away with, but really, no one escapes the truth. while they might not get convicted, everyone involved should be made aware they are selling a stolen guitar and they now know who the owner was.

dude, i'm like. reading your story, then i'm like, dude. that guy sounds totally like from l.a., then i'm like, dude, he is from l.a. duh!.

i know, or rather knew, both those stores from way back, when gc had like 2 stores in chicago and 2 in frisco and like 5 in l.a. area. i worked at the santa ana store (now gone) and i was like 20, it was my first real job and it was my dream job. i had a lot of life lessons to learn, and they taught me the hard way. gc was just starting to become a large super corp, and they were training thier staff and operations to be like a car sales operation. straight commision (against min wage) and had the santa ana store staffed with way too much salesmen. we had to literally fight each other to make a living, and we all hated it. taught me to be a saleman tho.

well, i was fired from that one by the manager (a real ambitious guy who later was promoted to corparate) and immediately hired by the manager with a promotion to the lawndale store. being young and stupid, i didn't keep my mouth shut, and the manager who fired me quickly put a stop to it, as well as giving me a good toungue lashing for having such gall.

now, a little later i learned that the lawndale store was like gc purgatory and the oxnard store was like gc vacation. ron wolf moved on to become manager of oxnard, a high class dude who was a marvel of a salesman. nobody i think today knows how he does it, but he could make the biggest sales often without saying a word. (not bad customer service, just had a way of pleasing without having to speak a bunch of bs).

anyway, i do have a point. i have mixed feelings about gc. on the one hand, i think it is great that they bring gear to the masses, and give aspiring kids jobs. on the other hand, i don't like how the make buying a guitar like buying a car, and even the influence on product to me is detrimental as a whole.

when i go in now and there is some kid there who has no idea what costomer service is, i take pity on him. i do, however like to mess with him. maybe teach him something the machine is failing at.

Did either of you run into a guy named Mark Blasko at any of the LA Stores? I think he was at the hollywood store. He was a Top sales guy there for years and a friend of mine. He was tall and slender and had blonde hair down to his Arse.

Did either of you run into a guy named Mark Blasko at any of the LA Stores? I think he was at the hollywood store. He was a Top sales guy there for years and a friend of mine. He was tall and slender and had blonde hair down to his Arse.

No Andy. I don't remember him at all.

Of course the Fountain Valley store is about as far away from the Hollywood store as is Oxnard. [smile] Well it might as well be Oxnard.

I will say this though. There truly was a great difference between the folks at Oxnard [thumbup] and Fountain Valley [cursing] .

And I know that I remember Ron Wolf from Santa Ana. I'm not kidding you Andy. I know the guy sold me the Alembic. I remember him saying, "Of course it comes with a case."

No Andy. I don't remember him at all.

Of course the Fountain Valley store is about as far away from the Hollywood store as is Oxnard. [smile] Well it might as well be Oxnard.

I will say this though. There truly was a great difference between the folks at Oxnard [thumbup] and Fountain Valley [cursing] .

And I know that I remember Ron Wolf from Santa Ana. I'm not kidding you Andy. I know the guy sold me the Alembic. I remember him saying, "Of course it comes with a case."

haven't ever met marc. but that there ron wolf quote, sounds like classic ron wolf. where we might have a tendancy to want to say it is an option and make sure the buyer is ok with the price, mr. wolf somehow knew what poeple wanted to hear. i think it is the way he has with giving poeple the respect and experience they wanted, and knew how to look for it.

Dude that is definitely like a California post! [biggrin]

That's one of the reason I won't surf Cali anymore - I don't speak the language. :blink:

how do you like it compared to your Plimsoul?

You know... that's a great question. [thumbup] Thanks for asking.

While I have not conducted a side by side shootout of the two, it is clear to me that it's a completely different pedal.

There's more low end with the GR without question.

The PlimSoul is a two stage OD/Distortion. There is soft clipping and hard clipping available. You just have to decide how much you want. With it I'm able to conjure up some serious vintage Marshall crunch and some intense, almost Dumble-like, clear, singing sustain. It's very versatile. Sometime next week I'll do a comparison of the two.

I can't believe how loud and expressive The Green Rhino is no matter which amp I use.

I've tried it in the GA-5 and it was loud. The effect really made the amp sound like something it wasn't. Very full, rich with a lot of depth and low end.

Then, this morning, I tried it with Fender's The '57 amp. Holycrap Batman!

The amps volume was set to 2. When I engaged the Green Rhino the amp sounded really nice. I used the Black Face settings the instruction manual recommended. It was certainly loud with a good bit of low end. Using the 100Hz 12dB cut/boost allowed me to knock down the low end too. But I liked the low end growl the effect produced. I probably won't be removing the low end when I play because I liked it slightly boosted or in a neutral position.

After a while I decided to increase the volume of the deluxe to six. Now we're really talking loud. I had to take the amp off the desk for fear of going deaf with it so loud. Really, I thought the Celestion Blue Alnico was going to leap out of the cabinet. Using the volume knob on my Telecaster the Green Rhino cleaned up nicely as needed.

Surfpup can attest to the quality and uniqueness of this amp (solid maple cabinet with a Celestion Blue). It's a killer amp. My Telecaster sounds so nice with it even without any effects. Add the Green Rhino MK II to the mix, it's even more so.

Check it out at Guitar Center or a dealer near you. You can't go wrong for the price they're asking. Remember, I got a discount on mine. The Green Rhino and a dozen Max Grip picks for $125.00.

I'm giving it a thumbs up. [thumbup]

Rock on.

Archived