Gibson Brands Forums

j45's strap button

brums

Haven't got strap button on my 45, but would place it in the middle of the heel. Probably a black one.

Screwed on a transparent plast/leopard-skin t.r. shield today. Suits the burst and ads a called upon non-factorish touch.

Don't know if it'll last, but for now I'm pretty exited -

This topic has caused great debate over the last few years here on this website. You can do a "search" on the topic to read the mayhem.

BUT... In my expert and experienced opinion there is only one logical place for the front strap button:

2840718563_d0a0b662d0.jpg

I agree with u guys that I think lower on the trebel side would be ideal, it's a different heel design then on my b45-12 , my concern was controlability of the instrument and of course stripping the strap whole wide open being flush or opposed angled.

Thanks folks

• 1 year later...

I have a button but I chickened out putting it on my J-45. I don't gig with it and I mostly sit so I don't really need one.

That said, if I ever do install it, it will be on pos 5.. I just don't think it will hang as good from any other position.

Position 5 is the only place to put the strap button. For one thing, many of the other places could and will cause the guitar to want to lean or fall forward. Position 5 holds the guitar where it should stay. Look at a lot of the high end manufacturers that install them and they all do so at position 5. Taylor for one.

All of my guitars have a strap button at Position 5. I also prefer what I call Gibson style buttons because they have a right angle shoulder as opposed to what I call Fender style buttons (like the ones in the positions photo) which have a V-shape. But my motto is, "never trust a strap", and I can barely play anymore without a strap.

One more thing about this topic. Before you have the button installed, get in touch with the manufacturer. See what they recommend and here is why. I once owned a Seagul S-6 and I wanted to instal a front strap button. Seagul has a very specific place where they instruct you to instal the pin because of the way the neck is attached to the body. They recommend position 4 on the picture because the neck on the S-6 is bolted on, also has two wooden dowles that are in the heel. So drilling a hole for a position number 5 pin would have compromised the integrity and strength of the wooden dowles. On the Seagul web site they actually have a diagram you can download/print with measurements to do this. So again, contact who ever made your guitar and see what the recommend.

All of my guitars have a strap button at Position 5. I also prefer what I call Gibson style buttons because they have a right angle shoulder as opposed to what I call Fender style buttons (like the ones in the positions photo) which have a V-shape. But my motto is, "never trust a strap", and I can barely play anymore without a strap.

why can you 'barely ay without a strap' ?

I've gotten used to using it for leverage I guess. Whenever I pick up and play without one I have to be more conscious of keeping the guitar in position. With the strap I don't have the guitar ever sliding away or anything else. I especially like it when playing up the neck for some reason. One of the guys I play a lot with is a fingerstyle guy and he totally distains a strap. He'll even take it off the guitar completely if he is going to play one he's borrowed from me for any length of time. I've always wondered if that's true of fingerpickers in general?

Archived