Gibson Brands Forums

Ngd

LarryUK

Well. My Tribute 60's Gold top has arrived. I managed to unbox it before work. But......I don't like it.

It has a large area where your forearm sits, with no paint at all. Just bare wood. I'm really disappointed. I've already arranged for it to go back. I'll take some pics though. I also think, for £750 it would be better quality. My Aria Ta50 is a far superior guitar. For a fraction of the price.

Never mind. I'll just get a traditional or a used custom.

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Well. My Tribute 60's Gold top has arrived. I managed to unbox it before work. But......I don't like it.

It has a large area where your forearm sits, with no paint at all. Just bare wood. I'm really disappointed. I've already arranged for it to go back. I'll take some pics though. I also think, for £750 it would be better quality. My Aria Ta50 is a far superior guitar. For a fraction of the price.

No paint at all? Is it supposed to be aged or is this some aweful mistake? You haven't recieved someone else's aged gt per chance?

You're sending it back all because there is some unfinished maple? It's just a finish issue. I bet you 100% that it is a pretty sweet guitar. If the finish issue still bugs ya, send it to me I'll play it and love it......

e8926380.jpgac91af30.jpg0c6895d6.jpg

I'm home now and have had a play. It plays great. 3 piece back. But I find that the worn piece is a bit excessive. I've spoken to them and

they've got a Traditional 1960 in tea burst. I might have that instead.

I would send it back too, even if it plays like a dream. You paid for a brand new goldtop guitar (assumption) not used, correct???

If you bought it used, that's another story. But it would be shipping back if it were mine...

How could that have gotten out the door at the Gibson factory?

Wow I first read this thread before the pics and didnt think it could be that bad, but thats way worse then I thought, I would definitely take it back. Its not so bad if you wear it like that over the years but to get it like that new is like a slap in the face.

Gibson do advertise it as 'worn' gold top. But I think 'Shrek' has worn this one.

I'm really disappointed with this. The more I think about it the more gutted I am.

As an interest. Are Les Paul Traditionals the same dimensions as the studios? Length, width etc?

Gibson do advertise it as 'worn' gold top. But I think 'Shrek' has worn this one.

I'm really disappointed with this. The more I think about it the more gutted I am.

As an interest. Are Les Paul Traditionals the same dimensions as the studios? Length, width etc?

It doesnt even look like natural wear, looks like belt sander wear!

As far as I know the studio is the same spec wise its just chambered, has no cap, no binding, diff pickups basically a bare bones LP.

Yes. It's new. I just think it's excessive wear.

Ya know Lashurt, they are supposed to look a bit used, (which I think is dumb), but, yeah, that looks like a drunk took a sander to it...

And, for crimany sakes, that back seam makes it look like A BAD CHINESE FAKE.......Not cool at all.................

I think a Traditional would make you a happy camper.......

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Yeah, I can see what they were thinking, the worn look and all that, not to my taste but I can see the appeal to others. If you don't like it, send it back.

I think it looks cool as hell. Looks don't mean a thing on a guitar, man. It wants to be played.

Well at about $1200 you want your guitar to look nice too, as mentioned if it had of looked more vintage worn it would probably be really sweet. But this just looks like someone took a gold top that might have had a defunct finish on it, slapped the belt sander at it and said "SELL IT FOR FULL PRICE"

That really bites....ya send it back..

Traditional is a nice guitar (I own one) but IMO look at the used market for an R8 or something on the re issue side...won't be disappointed

Well at about $1200 you want your guitar to look nice too, as mentioned if it had of looked more vintage worn it would probably be really sweet. But this just looks like someone took a gold top that might have had a defunct finish on it, slapped the belt sander at it and said "SELL IT FOR FULL PRICE"

Post of the week................A FREE T-SHIRT FOR YOU........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .......

The finish should be called, " Kinda a Gold Top ".............[flapper] :blink: [woot] ..........

Post of the week................A FREE T-SHIRT FOR YOU........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .......

The finish should be called, " Kinda a Gold Top ".............[flapper] :blink: [woot] ..........

With my luck on Gibson shirts can it be like a Marshall or Fender one :P

I'm home now and have had a play. It plays great. 3 piece back. But I find that the worn piece is a bit excessive. I've spoken to them and

they've got a Traditional 1960 in tea burst. I might have that instead.

Phew she's a beauty.

Shame, I was going to post this... :x

You're sending it back all because there is some unfinished maple? It's just a finish issue. I bet you 100% that it is a pretty sweet guitar. If the finish issue still bugs ya, send it to me I'll play it and love it......

I think it looks cool as hell. Looks don't mean a thing on a guitar, man. It wants to be played.

Are reading the OP's comments ? . . . :blink: . . . :rolleyes:

Well. My Tribute 60's Gold top has arrived. I managed to unbox it before work. But......I don't like it. It has a large area where your forearm sits, with no paint at all. Just bare wood. I'm really disappointed. I've already arranged for it to go back. .....

Too bad it didn't work out.

Those 50/60 Tribs need to be seen so you know how much "wear" was applied to them. I've seen a couple posted here that were barely "worn" at all.

Hope the exchange works out for you.

I'll decide tomorrow what to do. The Traditional 1960 looks ok and the black traditional with the Bigsby. More money though. Suppose I'll be standing on the street corner again with my fishnets on!

I thought it was 'Tom Murphy' aged.

It turns out it was his mate 'Shamus Murphy' the road digger!

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] .....

Oooooooooo !!! The Traditional in black with the Bigsby.....Yes, sweet.......

( It's NOT available pre-aged though...)

Archived