Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone looking for a G400 with P90's?

ReneBoedker

I was browsing the Epiphone press site and found these P90-equipped G400's. It seems to be Epiphones version of the '60s tribute Gibson released earlier. Has anyone heard of these Epiphones before?

P_1961SGSpecP90-TV1.jpgP_1961SGSpecP90-TV3.jpg

Man, it would really be great if the forum had some kind of manual picture-resizer [blink]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, it would really be great if the forum had some kind of manual picture-resizer [blink]

That's what Phtobucket, ImageShack, and many other websites are for. Use it. It's easy and free.

Not psychic at all, just looked at the press-site yesterday....

a61shrug.gifI don't have a P90 equipped guitar - yet. eusa_dance.gif

Now guess the favourite color aaatwist_shout.gif

That's an easy one, gotta be Ebony, right ???

I guess I would change the bridge to something "fine-tuning" like....

Thats the ticket! [thumbup]

That guitar would look so good with a big ol' Schaller 465 fine tune bridge on it. I actually have one laying around in my parts bin. Now I just need a guitar for it. [biggrin]

241130.jpg

Did ya'll notice the WHITE binding on the neck? Nice! And on a Special, even...

As for price, I'm going to guess somewhere between $300 & $350. It is obviously made from the G-400 template, it has P-90s, full controls, set-neck, neck binding and reflector knobs (no amber hats - YAY!). But it also has a wrap-around bridge, dot inlays and no headstock inlay.

Thats my guess and reason for it.

That guitar would look so good with a big ol' Schaller 465 fine tune bridge on it. I actually have one laying around in my parts bin. Now I just need a guitar for it. [biggrin]

241130.jpg

Never seen one of them before, me likey.

Did ya'll notice the WHITE binding on the neck? Nice! And on a Special, even...

Yowsa, pretty sweet.

Aren't SGs with the strap-button not on the upper horn (like the Tony Iommi) tend to neck-diving ?

The more metal would work against it, at least compared to the 'light' wraparound bridge [confused]

Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, that would seem to be a good counterweight, indeed. I hadnt though about that.[thumbup]

As for price, I'm going to guess somewhere between $300 & $350. It is obviously made from the G-400 template, it has P-90s, full controls, set-neck, neck binding and reflector knobs (no amber hats - YAY!). But it also has a wrap-around bridge, dot inlays and no headstock inlay.

And a Slimtaper-neck with a 1960's D-shape, Wilkinson tuners with ivory buttons, and it comes with a "Premium Anniversary Gigbag".

I'd love one of these too Pete, though it wouldn't be too long before it had a Bigsby hanging of it's arse and have a roller bridge in place of that wraparound.

Keep the bridge, add a Maestro vibrola like God meant them to be...

1964%20Gibson%20Les%20Paul%20Special_02.JPG

Keep the bridge, add a Maestro vibrola like God meant them to be...

For me it would have to be one of the long versions if I chose a Maestro, like on the G400 Custom, reason I chose Bigsby is I know how to make them work properly, those Maestros look a little flaky to me.

EDIT: tuning wise I mean.

I dont know, I like the idea of being able to adjust the intonation and fine tune the strings. I'm really partial to fine tune bridges and trems.

A lot of the Epis have a shallow neck angle that all but rules out a higher bridge. I had a Epi LP Jr with the wrap around and I tried a Wilkinson with adjustable saddles. Screwed it all the way down and the action was way too high. So anyone planning to buy one of these with the intention of upgrading the bridge, check it out first. If the stock bridge is real close to the body, you could have a problem.

Despite the lack of intonation, the basic design of the wrap around is pretty good. One piece of metal provides good sustain, good string tension too. The intonation problem was due to the placement of the saddles, it was designed for strings with a wound G. When lighter gauge strings became common, the plain G string wouldn't stay in tune as you played down the neck. I'm pretty sure the new ones are compensated for a plain G.

A lot of the Epis have a shallow neck angle that all but rules out a higher bridge. I had a Epi LP Jr with the wrap around and I tried a Wilkinson with adjustable saddles. Screwed it all the way down and the action was way too high. So anyone planning to buy one of these with the intention of upgrading the bridge, check it out first. If the stock bridge is real close to the body, you could have a problem.

Despite the lack of intonation, the basic design of the wrap around is pretty good. One piece of metal provides good sustain, good string tension too. The intonation problem was due to the placement of the saddles, it was designed for strings with a wound G. When lighter gauge strings became common, the plain G string wouldn't stay in tune as you played down the neck. I'm pretty sure the new ones are compensated for a plain G.

Good point about the bridge height. I've only played with it on bolt-neck guitars, so its easy to compensate with neck shims. I like shimming to put the neck on a slight angle, like 3 degrees or so anyway. Luckily, I already have a Schaller 456, so it wouldnt be any money lost if I was to try it out and it didnt work. Typically, they are pretty expensive, like around $80, I think. It would be a shame to spend that kind of money and have it not work like you were expecting.

Archived