Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt case

pa4theking

hello I'm new here

I recently purchased an Epiphone Masterbilt ef500rcce. I would like to get a hard case for it and was told I need an EL0CS, so I ordered one and it does not fit. So does anyone know that they know that they know of a hard case that will fit?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the Gibson Forums! The EL0CS case is the correct case for the Masterbilt EF-500 line. Epiphone cases tend to be snug fitting at first, but will conform to the shape of the guitar over time.

I hate to disagree with Gibson Customer Service and surely don't intend any disrespect, but the EL0CS case is made for the EL-00 and other 00 sized guitars and won't fit an EF-500, snugly or otherwise. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EL0CS/

Its lower bout is too small/narrow for an EF-500, which essentially has an OM-sized body with a 14-7/8" lower bout. The ELOCS case is about an inch too narrow

Epiphone used to sell a poly-foam "Masterbuilt" (with a "u") case for the EF series and another for the dreads. When I sold my EF-500R, I kept that Masterbuilt case for traveling with my Gibson CJ-165.

My advice is to measure the width of upper & lower bouts of your guitar, as well its waist and length, and try to find a non-Epi case that will work.

• 5 months later...

This ^^ [thumbup]

The 2008 catalog shows a case for the EF 500 RCCE with the code "EMBENCS"

which should be the code for the 'soft-hardcase'

At that time this case was included, IMO

Anyone ever solve this problem? I recently got an EF-500RANS and it came in a brand new Gator HScase, but it's really a dread case. The EF swims in it! As stated the EL0CS is not fit for the EF either, and lets face it, the lightweight cases were freakin' perfect!!! What happened to them??? Hoping for some new news...

Thanx,

Lewd

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a SKB Deluxe case (TSA approved latches) a while back for an EPI LP and loved it,so when I got my new AJ500ME I checked for fit and bought the economy SKB (SKB-8) because the deluxe was a lot more at that time. It fits but has metal latches you have to jiggle to fit in the slots to close and the metal sealing edging has to be fitted by hand to close right most every time, even after an initial adjustment to shape (yes it is a lot more flimsy than the deluxe).I recommend the SKB Deluxe Universal Dreadnought Guitar Case (Mus.Frnd #541677) for the better TSA latches and stiffer form holding sides. It is now only $7 more than the economy model, while on sale. I regret my frugality every day when I close the case. The SKB-20 is a little larger so measure your guitar and confirm fit by the accurate sizing specs. on the Musician's Friend website. Most importantly I never got an SKB with that poisonous smell that comes with the cheap house brands.

Hope it helps,

Boo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have an Epiphone Maserbuilt EF500R. After reading this forum and consulting with Gibson I pulled the trigger and bought the Epiphone EL-00 Hardshell Case. The guitar fits perfectly! Dont know why anyone else had trouble. Its not even tight like it was said to be. About a quarter inch space all around. Just wanted to post this to let people know.

Archived