Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a genuine Epiphone?

piperamirez

A few months ago I ordered an Epiphone Thunderbird-IV from Import Music Chile, my local Gibson retailer, which as far as I know is a trusted unofficial reseller here in Chile.

The bass arrived a week ago due to understock issues; it was in perfect shape and well protected (so far so good!). Then, as I inspected it I began to notice several suspicious details. Here's a list of the details I have found so far and some pictures (I can upload more and better quality if needed).

1. The neck plate is chromed as displayed in the picture (as far as I know epis have a somewhat black-stained chromed plate with the serial number).

2. The strap button is placed in the neck plate, not in the body.

3. Some joints have little paint cracks, like low quality manufacturing process.

4. The white pickguard is a little shifted from where it should be, based on other t-birds pics I have seen.

Suspicious neck plate:

sn1h0j.jpg

Some labels, one of them reads "hand crafted in china"

10wutjl.jpg

Serial number printed in the back of the headstock

2w3awcp.jpg

Is this a genuine Epiphone?

Additional photos I took yesterday...

Front side

2cekqix.jpg

Back side

2e2dqw0.jpg

Natural finish (no flash)

2uqivb8.jpg

Chromed neck plate with strap button

10z6y36.jpg

Headstock labels

2hdtiti.jpg

Headstock printed serial number

k12ed4.jpg

Epiphone logo

nmi2x5.jpg

Neck joint raised over the body

2mxlv0o.jpg

continues...

In my opinion, it looks like a legitimate Thunderbird that's of "2nd" quality and is probably used. You said you got it from an unofficial reseller, so that's the risk you take. It still looks like it's in pretty good condition.

Everything except the neck-plate is right, and that looks to me like a modification. It's a popular modification to move the strap button to the back of the instrument. The neck plate that's on there is from an Epi Special. The screw was probably too big to go through the old neck plate so it got replaced. That's my theory anyway.

Enjoy your bass.

Is it just me, those "Show" buttons that link to the images does absolutely nothing when clicked, not from Firefox 3.6.17 anyway.

Its some sort of built-in Javascript collapsable DIV. If you have scripts turned off in your browser it wont work.

Well, that doesnt bode well. You would think there should be a screw hole there. Maybe HCat will have some insight on this.

I don't know then. Maybe the old hole got filled in and painted over? Everything else looks legit to me.

All work OK for me Rob [confused]

Its some sort of built-in Javascript collapsable DIV. If you have scripts turned off in your browser it wont work.

Thanks guys, I've got Javascript enabled but it's screwed down, I don't like scripts trying to change my viewing experience without my say so, I'll just go with out, cheers.

I just saw one very similar to this one at Guitar Center. It was the white on with the chrome hardware. I had the same neck plate, but in chrome. Plus the strap pin was in the same place and no extra hole where the old pin was. The salesman sad it came in last week, so I guess this is how the new T-Birds are being done now.

I just saw one very similar to this one at Guitar Center. It was the white on with the chrome hardware. I had the same neck plate, but in chrome. Plus the strap pin was in the same place and no extra hole where the old pin was. The salesman sad it came in last week, so I guess this is how the new T-Birds are being done now.

Well there you go.

Good to hear that, thank you so much!

Good to hear that, thank you so much!

No problem, I'm just glad yours is real. I was really impressed with the white one, and I really thought about buying it, but I found something else I have been wanting for a very long time [thumbup] I hope yours plays as good as the white one, if it does you have a kick a** bass =D>

Which would be??? [flapper]

It's not a Epiphone, but I've wanted something like this for a long time. I do have a new to me Epiphone, but I won't see it until Aug. 10th. I'll post some/a lot of pics when I get it [wink]

post-23496-031792700 1311680663_thumb.jpg

Archived